Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Golden Globes Gervais 2020

Started by Bennett Brauer, January 02, 2020, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Jockice on January 04, 2020, 08:19:40 AM
I'd just like to say here I fucking hate cigars. They're one of the worst inventions ever.

To be fair, they're terrific as a cunt detector.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Jockice on January 04, 2020, 08:19:40 AM
I'd just like to say here I fucking hate cigars. They're one of the worst inventions ever.
does this OFFEND you?

*smokes a cigar with GOD ISNT REAL printed on the side*

idunnosomename

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 04, 2020, 11:13:31 AM
To be fair, they're terrific as a cunt detector.
yes but please observe proper consent.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 03, 2020, 02:03:41 AM
Incidentally, did anyone know about this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Support_(game_show)
It's a game show with Fred Savage that he's apparently been on for the past two years.

So, basically Are You Smarter Than An 8 Year Old? If it doesn't feature Gervais demanding kids answer questions to win enough money for their single parents to buy food, and if they lose then Gervais puts the child to work in his personal quarry hewing unfunny jokelets out of thorn-studded marble, then I'm not sure Gervais is the edgy, no holds barred comedian we all take him for.

alan nagsworth

mans a legeng thoug. tell me one person whose even as close to saying the stuff he does. he gets away with it because everone knows hes right, its like hollywoods best kept secrete. bill hicks richard prior, gervas will go down as one of the great's. simples.

chveik

Bennett Brauer

How many new bottoms do you think are going to get torn?

Two minutes to go...  If he walks on with an alcoholic drink in his hand I'm going to lose my shit!

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I hope a crowd of celebrities rush the stage and stub cigars out on his face.

phes

Good old Derke, sticking it to the slebs!

Gosh that was lame

Schnapple

He specifically named Disney, Amazon and Apple as unethical and the 'woke' people accepting awards who work with them as hypocrites, which was momentarily exciting, but he's just too much of a sixth-form, sneering cunt to make any of this work. Just searched on Twitter and people seem to think he's really speaking truth to power... Oh well, it's definitely the last time!!!!

His Epstein gag got a laugh from me, but I don't think it was disruptive to get him into any trouble.

phes

If helps him get a boner again after making phone ads, car ads, featuring in products owned by Disney and flying around on a private WankBeast Jet then more power to his stiffy

I don't think I'm even that bothered by Gervais himself, who said earlier today that he was 'just going to do the same old thing he always does'. It's the twitter reaction, the mass marketing of it. I should never look at twitter, ever.

derek stitt

Is passive nihilism the new way to stick it to the man?

Urinal Cake

This is Ricky at his best pretty good making pedo jokes and acting passive aggressive. The Weinstein joke was nice and sharp. I think what really sells it is the audience reactions the po-faces who (rightly) can't believe this lesser talented but more honest cunt is calling them out. Though people did seem to genuinely laugh at the image of Dame Judi Dench licking her own vagina like a cat.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 06, 2020, 03:02:32 AM
thought the Epstein joke was good

The James Corden joke made me giggle too.

Malcy

Watched a short clip and thought it was funny. The face Tom Hanks made was great. DiCaprio had a good laugh at the joke aimed at him as well. I'll wait until someone uploads the Gervais bits though. Not skimming through 3 hours.

dissolute ocelot

BBC Breakfast this morning had their showbiz correspondents analysing the Gervais and joking about all the clips they couldn't show (presumably because it's still against the rules to accuse anyone of pedophilia on the BBC). But it's the Golden Globes, if you're not taking the piss out of the attendants at the most absurd and least meaningful awards event of the year, then you probably couldn't shoot Hitler in a barrel.

A few years ago Vulture did a profile of every single Golden Globe voter and everyone getting excited over the awards should be forced to read it. (Examples: the supposed Russian critic Alexander Nevsky: "Nevsky's real name isn't actually the same as the title of that Eisenstein movie. It's Sasha Kuritsyn, and he's a bodybuilder who moved to Hollywood, starred in B-movies, and somehow found himself in the HFPA." Gabrielle Donnelly, UK rep: "When this 30-year HFPA vet isn't covering film for British papers such as Hello!, the Daily Mail, and Woman's Weekly, she's writing novels. Her latest, The Little Women Letters, is a contemporary take on Louisa May Alcott's classic. She's recently written about Anne Hathaway's openness to the existence of aliens and Rosamund Pike's desire to have a baby after making Gone Girl.")

The Toronto Star also did a good article with a similar tone.

phantom_power

People are also propagating the idea that those that you can tell who is chill and who is an asshole from whether they laugh at the jokes, not thinking that some just might not find the jokes funny, and that some would laugh at everything to give the illusion of them being "chill". They are actors after all

idunnosomename

Who gives a shit about the golden globes

Butchers Blind

There's a look Amy Poehler gives near the start of his monologue as if to say "I know".

Sin Agog

idunnosomename

"Leave them alone dear, I'm sure it's just a cyst"

Bad Ambassador

He's like a child doing a little turn at his parents' dinner party before they pack him off to bed and the guests try not to roll their eyes.

BritishHobo

I do always get a bit frustrated at the reaction in the press and on social media. It's just exactly what he wants. His boring old shit shouldn't be met with outrage, it should be met with an eyeroll and a sigh.

jobotic

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 06, 2020, 10:46:30 AM
Who gives a shit about the golden globes

Who gives a shit about what ricky gervais says

Blue Jam

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 06, 2020, 08:50:29 AM
The James Corden joke made me giggle too.

I really don't know how Ricky Gervais keeps getting away with calling other people fat.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 06, 2020, 11:42:41 AM
I do always get a bit frustrated at the reaction in the press and on social media. It's just exactly what he wants. His boring old shit shouldn't be met with outrage, it should be met with an eyeroll and a sigh.
I think it's the difference between the US/Canada where you suck up to the rich and famous and the rest of the world. That's why Gervais still seems dangerous. But a few more years of Trump and general Twitter discourse that should change.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2020, 11:48:25 AM
I really don't know how Ricky Gervais keeps getting away with calling other people fat.

James Corden is a common enemy so I'll let him slide on that one.

Blue Jam

I suspect Gervais has seen Corden's impersonations of him and is still a bit butthurt.

They are the only thing Corden has done that have ever made me laugh, but still.

Blue Jam

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/03/ricky-gervais-isnt-the-golden-globes-host-we-want-but-the-one-we-deserve

QuoteGervais's Twitter page is now an unbroken cliff face of taunts about how many people he offends and how little he cares about it; a subject so close to his heart that he devoted his most recent standup set to that subject alone.

Quotesomething about Gervais's Worst Man in the Pub act seems to connect with the Golden Globes.

Has Gervais set his Twitter followers on Stuart Heritage yet?