Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Golden Globes Gervais 2020

Started by Bennett Brauer, January 02, 2020, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Hat FM on January 29, 2020, 01:41:29 PM
what award was afterlife even nominated for? comedy? which part of that dross was funny? the bit when he threatened to beat up a primary school kid?

Gervais threatening a child with violence may be too edgy and shocking for all the snowflakes in Hollywood, but back in Blighty he just can't compete with the recent work of Ant McPartlin.

Crabwalk

Quote from: Hat FM on January 29, 2020, 01:41:29 PM
what award was afterlife even nominated for? comedy? which part of that dross was funny? the bit when he threatened to beat up a primary school kid? the bit when he helped a heroin addict kill himself? roflcopter.

It was quite funny how badly he wasted an exceptionally good cast.

BritishHobo

I don't known if you remember but he snuck a really subtle gag about fat people in there somewhere.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 29, 2020, 10:32:03 AM
Yes, as has been said here before, there's something truly pathetic about him being a millionaire and a household name and still being really, really bothered about every crappy little awards ceremony going (is the NTAs a big deal? I don't know, all I know is that it's the one where Ant and Dec win every year).

When I saw he was there I thought it must have been nailed on that he'd won. He was hosting the Golden Globes a fortnight ago! So bizarre.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 29, 2020, 11:33:02 AM
I'd pay good money to see that "wave and a smile"

https://youtu.be/PE9NwUPlILo?t=15

Ooh it must have hurt.

Didn't he do this before? Turned up for one of those TV mag awards shows. Got beaten by Mrs Brown's Boys too I think.

Ferris

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on January 29, 2020, 08:01:23 PM
When I saw he was there I thought it must have been nailed on that he'd won. He was hosting the Golden Globes a fortnight ago! So bizarre.

Ooh it must have hurt.

Oof. Will send the cheque to the usual address.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Ooh it must have hurt.
Mmmmmmm. Nourishment.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Crabwalk

Ooh it must have hurt.

Ha ha ha ha ha! That is absolutely glorious! Worth sitting through After Life just for that eventual pay off.

Cuellar

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 30, 2020, 04:41:59 AM
The quote underneath that video is worth reading, too.

Hahaha this one?

QuoteCan someone point out that it's the National TV awards and Mrs Browns boys is a foreign show. Ireland is not in the UK. Whoops. Afterlife is an English show so should have won. Clue is in the word NATIONAL.

phes

I'd banned myself from looking at are Ricky and Graham's Twitter feeds but in true Graham fashion just couldn't resist it. What a wonderful mess

Chriddof

QuoteAfterlife is an English show so should have won. Clue is in the word NATIONAL. Also I'm not racist but ENOCH WAS RIGHT

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Blue Jam

QuoteGavin and Stacey was given a special "Impact" award and writer/actor Ruth Jones said it "wasn't easy bringing the show" back after a decade for the recent Christmas special.

The episode was the UK's most-watched scripted TV programme of the entire 2010s, with days to spare.

Jones admitted that she wished co-writer and now US-dweller James Corden "was here to share this".

Ricky wasn't too busy to turn up to a crappy little UK awards show, but guess who was? James Corden. Bwahahaha.

JumpAction

I'm actually surprised that After Life didn't win it.

With all the buzz Ricky Gervais received after the Golden Globes and his almost daily reminder for people to vote for him, I thought After Life was surely going to take it.

dissolute ocelot

QuoteCan someone point out that it's the National TV awards and Mrs Browns boys is a foreign show. Ireland is not in the UK. Whoops. Afterlife is an English show so should have won. Clue is in the word NATIONAL.

Mrs Browns boys (which is the correct punctuation by the way) is made by BBC Scotland and Scotland is not a part of the UK. QED.

Also, Piers Moron was boycotting the NTA awards for some reason, so it sounds like an excellent night all round.

idunnosomename

i might hate ricky gervais but im still not going to say anything positive about mrs brown's boys

phantom_power

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 30, 2020, 10:56:54 AM
Mrs Browns boys (which is the correct punctuation by the way) is made by BBC Scotland and Scotland is not a part of the UK. QED.

Also, Piers Moron was boycotting the NTA awards for some reason, so it sounds like an excellent night all round.

Not to mention that it is awards for shows on national TV, not awards for shows made in this nation. He would shit brix if he knew Chernobyl won one

Rich Uncle Skeleton

The account that posted the video got closed what did you lot do ?!

Blue Jam

Quote from: JumpAction on January 30, 2020, 10:55:55 AM
I'm actually surprised that After Life didn't win it.

With all the buzz Ricky Gervais received after the Golden Globes and his almost daily reminder for people to vote for him, I thought After Life was surely going to take it.

If all the voting had been done via Twitter After Life would have won by a mile. Gervais just forgets that there is a world away from the internet where people watch terrestrial TV and don't give a fuck about Twitter.

JumpAction

That's true. It's very easy to get trapped in this idea that Twitter are the opinions of the general public. Especially when those on Twitter continuously claim that they are speaking for the general public. :P

phes

Good to see Ricky tweeting someone that Afterlife 2 is his best work yet! Could anyone goad him into ranking his TV work by bestness. Would love to see him forced to place everything in chronological order with The Office in last place