Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Golden Globes Gervais 2020

Started by Bennett Brauer, January 02, 2020, 10:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Like an outraged MP, I've only read transcripts of the jokes. Some of them made me laugh. Funny jabs.

The thing about ol' Gervaisy, of course, is that he'd rather I didn't laugh, so that I could be assimilated into the great swathe of The Offended that he loves to tweet about.

Sorry, Rick - I liked some of the jokes.

-

Quoting the last post as I offensively bumped us onto a new page:

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2020, 12:11:42 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/jan/03/ricky-gervais-isnt-the-golden-globes-host-we-want-but-the-one-we-deserve

QuoteGervais's Twitter page is now an unbroken cliff face of taunts about how many people he offends and how little he cares about it; a subject so close to his heart that he devoted his most recent standup set to that subject alone.

Quotesomething about Gervais's Worst Man in the Pub act seems to connect with the Golden Globes.

Has Gervais set his Twitter followers on Stuart Heritage yet?

Fronty Prongs

"It's a perfect award for shoving up your arse"

bgmnts

I dont want anyone to host the golden globes, I dont want the golden globes to exist. It's the apex of preening self congratulatory wank. A roomful of undeservedly rich cunts absolving themselves by pretending to laugh at crap jokes at their expense.

Genuinely wouldn't matter if a chimp in a suit hosted it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Thomas on January 06, 2020, 12:12:41 PM
Like an outraged MP, I've only read transcripts of the jokes. Some of them made me laugh. Funny jabs.

The thing about ol' Gervaisy, of course, is that he'd rather I didn't laugh, so that I could be assimilated into the great swathe of The Offended that he loves to tweet about.

Sorry, Rick - I liked some of the jokes.

From what I've read his Golden Globes material seemed to be a slightly higher standard than usual. Also, unlike his Caitlyn Jenner material, the Baby Yoda joke was at least current.

Sorry Ricky, I'm not offended either.

Ferris

Quote from: Urinal Cake on January 06, 2020, 11:50:25 AM
I think it's the difference between the US/Canada where you suck up to the rich and famous and the rest of the world. That's why Gervais still seems dangerous. But a few more years of Trump and general Twitter discourse that should change.

Yeah, there's absolutely 0 establishment sycophancy in the UK or the rest of the world.

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2020, 11:48:25 AM
I really don't know how Ricky Gervais keeps getting away with calling other people fat.

This occurred to me a lot in Afterlife. Tony Way's character could have undone all of Ricky's relentless fatty bullying with a casual "have a look in the mirror mate."

Urinal Cake

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on January 06, 2020, 12:50:21 PM
Yeah, there's absolutely 0 establishment sycophancy in the UK or the rest of the world.
Relatively.

Mr Faineant

Gervais jokes would have been fine if he didn't keep pointing out when he's just done an edgy. Essentially giving himself a round of applause after each comment.

Ferris

phantom_power

Always the salesman. Plugging After Life in his bit about Netflix. Constantly going on about how this is his fifth (FIFTH!) time hosting. Can they not see through his shilling?

gilbertharding

I must say, the one about Judy Dench giving herself a rim-job was delicious.

king_tubby

Pretty sure I read that one on Twitter when the original trailer for Cats came out.

famethrowa

Quote from: bgmnts on January 06, 2020, 12:44:28 PM

Well, there was that one who hosted the Russian talk show and interviewed Cher.

bgmnts

Quote from: famethrowa on January 06, 2020, 01:52:17 PM
Well, there was that one who hosted the Russian talk show and interviewed Cher.

"That's one of the best interviews."

Jumblegraws

When I saw people here actually complimenting him, I figured the critics' consensus would be that he did an above-average job, but just about every recap of the night I've read has pretty much said "Gervais is boring now"

non capisco

I can't look at Gervais now without thinking of Stewart Lee's routine about him in Tornado/Snowflake.

gatchamandave

Quote from: bgmnts on January 06, 2020, 12:44:28 PM
I dont want anyone to host the golden globes, I dont want the golden globes to exist. It's the apex of preening self congratulatory wank. A roomful of undeservedly rich cunts absolving themselves by pretending to laugh at crap jokes at their expense.

You are Mark Kermode and I claim my five pound note

gatchamandave

Noodle Lizard

It was poor. The jokes were barely jokes a lot of the time, just convoluted excuses to say "Jeffrey Epstein" or whatever and shrug at the groans. I'm not sure why the HFPA (or NBC) keep getting him back - it's completely at odds with the tone of the event and has increasingly fallen flat now the novelty's worn off. Hasn't helped the ratings either, by the look of it.

That said, it did feel as though some of his bitterness might actually be genuine this time round, now that he's presumably given up on his dream of being one of them. The bit where he promoted After Life with absolutely no irony or self-effacement was sad and excruciating. And yeah, again, it's hard to see any of it as any kind of proper subversion when this is the fifth time he's been asked to do it.

The little fat man who sold his soul.  The clown who no one laughs at....

phantom_power

Someone on Twitter said he nicked all his jokes from Guardian article comments and that is probably about right

neardark

He's thanked everyone for the comments on Twitter and informed us he's had the best reaction ever. It's always the best reaction ever.

H-O-W-L

really brave of are soldier ricky to go to an event where he received food and champagne and likely had travel arranged for him in order to read a pre-arranged likely trimmed down and board accepted "roast" that is literally exactly what everyone was thinking and completely unquestionable lest ye want to look like a pro-establishment cunt. absolute fucking solid gold marine mate. he's fixed it all. bless him, i'll forgive all the "mongs" and "retards" and "spastics" and even transphobic shit he's dropped in the last 10+ years all because he called people at an awards do overpaid. thank you honey baby sweetie pie oh sugar pooh. not like he's ever done this before either.

H-O-W-L

Not that I'm accusing anyone here of acting that way, mind, more just bitter that everyone I've seen on other media sites seems to be sucking this load of rancid spunk down as if Ricky actually did something brave and daring.

Twit 2

Fuck him. He's a turd in a Hoover bag. A preening void.

Consignia

Found some Ricky Gervais fanart on Twitter:

Also, don't search for Gervais on Twitter right now, there's so much virtual fellation going on, Ricky's virtual balls must be sucked dry.