Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:01:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

DJ tracks / cut & paste stuff that is fun

Started by the, January 03, 2020, 12:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the

These are those tracks that are just chunks of other tunes bundled together to get the dancefloor going. The sort of thing that pops up in the middle of a mix you're listening to and has you digging through tracklistings trying to find out who put this shameless infectious nugget together.

They're not huge on imagination, and they're often quite basic in execution, but I find some of them have bags of charm despite their mechanical nature.

Got any treasured ones tucked away?  The more obscure/promo-ey the better.

Steady G Presents - DJ 4 Prez (1997)—   This one makes me laugh, as the Ashley's Roach Clip break was pretty uncool at the time this was made. Yet I defy you not to do some serious headnodding when the Genius Of Love bit comes in.
Mighty Supernaturals - Amen Holmes (1996)—   Firstly, YES to the track title; secondly, Rhythm Stick + Amen break, what's not to like. (I think this was only on a promo for Freskanova.)

Feel free to verbally annotate rather than just list as well.

No tedious dogmatic proclamations about the morality of sampling please Sergeant Major

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 03, 2020, 11:33:04 AMThink Tank - A Knife & A Fork

https://youtu.be/lu1Rzxu-IKY

Nice. A bit ploddy but I do like a layered break. Also like where it goes a bit electro towards the end.

Hack One's on the B-side - isn't Hack One the better known track?

I did think "haven't they ripped off the Tommy Boy logo?" before realising it was a sub-label, d'oh. (That Hakattak logo with the old PC on it could go in the logos thread.)

Quote from: the on January 03, 2020, 12:37:05 PM
Nice. A bit ploddy but I do like a layered break. Also like where it goes a bit electro towards the end.

Hack One's on the B-side - isn't Hack One the better known track?

I did think "haven't they ripped off the Tommy Boy logo?" before realising it was a sub-label, d'oh. (That Hakattak logo with the old PC on it could go in the logos thread.)

Both sides are good, it's Information Society under a different name

Major Force - Return Of The Original Artform

https://youtu.be/w7YPfnQPsFM

On a slightly more housey tip this samples 30 tracks according to whosampled

Out Of The Ordinary - Play It Again (The Los Ninos Mix)
https://youtu.be/NLknFUBY81o

and longer remix with different samples  https://youtu.be/-rvb2G1C5uE

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 03, 2020, 01:46:07 PMMajor Force - Return Of The Original Artform

https://youtu.be/w7YPfnQPsFM

Ah that's an old cracker that one, the way it drops in at the start and the house kick drives it along.

Here's a rare one from the big beat era:

Scanty Sandwich - Slam Dunk

I believe this was only on acetate, so is literally a DJ record :)

You could argue that it's virtually a frenetic cut & paste remix of Block Rockin' Beats, being based around the break and a retriggered version of the bass line.

That Scanty Sandwich is frentic!

I'm sure you know the Energizer series that megamixes rave tracks to perfection

https://www.discogs.com/label/22033-Energizer

It's similar in energy to the OOTO tracks I listed above

jobotic

Dunno if this fits the bill, it's mostly sixties stuff.

Black Helicopters - Hammered Gods

https://youtu.be/DY6gJ5zVSrQ

I bought this at the time because I'm sure I read it was by someone I liked but can't for the life of me remember who it was.

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 03, 2020, 02:26:47 PMI'm sure you know the Energizer series that megamixes rave tracks to perfection

https://www.discogs.com/label/22033-Energizer

Ah I haven't come across the Energizer tracks before, will get on them as that's right up my street. I had heard of Dave Charlesworth though, he was cited as an inspiration by Remerge Records on an amazing XFM rave mashup they did.

Speaking of which:

Remerge - Pastiche (2007)
      Remerge - I Can't Believe It's Not '92! (2007)

Back to DJ records that were contemporaneous with the tunes they were made from -

On a Jack/house tip:

2 Puerto Ricans A Black Man & A Dominican - Do It Properly (1987)

monkfromhavana

Honourable mention to Brainstorm Crew for their track Pick Up The Pace
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziTW7JMlM1E

Just skip through to 2.28 for the little medley.

monkfromhavana

OK, it's very obvious, but it's absolutely fantastic. Also, it got my only message from John Carpenter when I asked him if he liked it or not (He said "It's OK, but I wasn't informed about it")

Bomb The Bass - Megablast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgjNb-6EOYw

the

Quote from: Dewt on January 03, 2020, 10:19:27 PMJive Bunny and the Mastermixers - Swing The Mood

The only thing that makes me resist posting "Twat" to that is that these guys were also involved in Megabass, which was a series of mix albums put out on Telstar, but from which one track was also turned into a radio edit and got into the charts. The Megabass mixes were fantastic feats of studio edits and mixing for the time, and incorporated some decent club stuff as well as chart tunes and hip hop:

Megabass - Time To Make The Floor Burn (1990)—   (nb. this one was cut down and released as a Top 40 single, got to No. 16)
Megabass - After Dark At The Edge Of Chaos (1990)—   This one features some impressive MPC work

I always loved the Latin Rascals edits and radio mixes out of New York in the 80s, this article here explains what they did with tapes better than I could and has a link to one of their best

https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-the-latin-rascals-mastered-the-megamix-9c81b3e951c8

Highly, highly recommended - they're the kings of the megamix.

Which also reminded me of the Big Apple mixes which were available on vinyl in the early 80s

https://youtu.be/N1hicVrmoxU

Check out the tracklist

Tracklist
Big Apple Production Vol. 1   12:00
A1.1   –Sharon Redd   Beat The Street   
A1.2   –Heaven 17   Let Me Go!   
A1.3   –Rockers Revenge   Walkin' On Sunshine   
A1.4   –Planet Patrol   Play At Your Own Risk   
A1.5   –Modern Romance   Can You Move   
A1.6   –Hamilton Bohannon   Let's Start The Dance   
A1.7   –The Clash   The Magnificent Seven   
A1.8   –Nancy Martinez   Can't Believe   
A1.9   –Pressure Drop (2)   Rock The House (You'll Never Be)   
A1.10   –Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force   Planet Rock   
A1.11   –Nairobi   Soul Makossa   
A1.12   –The Jonzun Crew   Pack Jam (Look Out For The OVC)   
A1.13   –Man Parrish   Hip Hop Bebop   
A1.14   –D-Train   Keep On   
A1.15   –Barbara Norris   Heavy Hitter   
A1.16   –Silver Convention   Get Up And Boogie   
A1.17   –Aretha Franklin   Jump To It   
A1.18   –Madonna   Everybody   
A1.19   –Howard Johnson   So Fine   
A1.20   –Unknown Artist   Untitled   
A1.21   –James Brown   Sex Machine   
A1.22   –Rockers Revenge   Walkin' On Sunshine   
A1.23   –Yazoo   Situation   
A1.24   –Warp 9   Nunk   
A1.25   –Edwin Starr   Contact   
A1.26   –Yazoo   Don't Go   
A1.27   –Videeo   Thang (Gimme Some Of That Thang)   
A1.28   –D-Train   D-Train Dub (Remix)   
A1.29   –Toney Lee   Reach Up   
A1.30   –Michael Jackson   Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough   
A1.31   –The Gap Band   You Dropped A Bomb On Me   
A1.32   –Steve Miller Band   Abracadabra   
A1.33   –ABC   The Look Of Love   
A1.34   –Carol Jiani   Hit 'N Run Lover   
A1.35   –Divine   Native Love (Step By Step)   
A1.36   –Bobby Orlando   She Has A Way   
A1.37   –Paul Parker   Right On Target   
A1.38   –Patrick Cowley   Megatron Man   
A1.39   –Divine   Shoot Your Shot   
A1.40   –Donna Summer   I Feel Love   
A1.41   –Village People   Y.M.C.A.   
A1.42   –Roni Griffith   (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up   
A1.43   –Lime (2)   Babe We're Gonna Love Tonight   
A1.44   –Patrick Cowley   Menergy   
A1.45   –Patrick Cowley   Do You Wanna Funk   
A1.46   –Lime (2)   Come And Get Your Love   

Big Apple Production Vol. 1   12:00
B1.1   –Sharon Redd   Beat The Street   
B1.2   –Heaven 17   Let Me Go!   
B1.3   –Rockers Revenge   Walkin' On Sunshine   
B1.4   –Planet Patrol   Play At Your Own Risk   
B1.5   –Modern Romance   Can You Move   
B1.6   –Hamilton Bohannon   Let's Start The Dance   
B1.7   –The Clash   The Magnificent Seven   
B1.8   –Nancy Martinez   Can't Believe   
B1.9   –Pressure Drop (2)   Rock The House (You'll Never Be)   
B1.10   –Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force   Planet Rock   
B1.11   –Nairobi   Soul Makossa   
B1.12   –The Jonzun Crew   Pack Jam (Look Out For The OVC)   
B1.13   –Man Parrish   Hip Hop Bebop   
B1.14   –D-Train   Keep On   
B1.15   –Barbara Norris   Heavy Hitter   
B1.16   –Silver Convention   Get Up And Boogie   
B1.17   –Aretha Franklin   Jump To It   
B1.18   –Madonna   Everybody   
B1.19   –Howard Johnson   So Fine   
B1.20   –Unknown Artist   Untitled   
B1.21   –James Brown   Sex Machine   
B1.22   –Rockers Revenge   Walkin' On Sunshine   
B1.23   –Yazoo   Situation   
B1.24   –Warp 9   Nunk   
B1.25   –Edwin Starr   Contact   
B1.26   –Yazoo   Don't Go   
B1.27   –Videeo   Thang (Gimme Some Of That Thang)   
B1.28   –D-Train   D-Train Dub (Remix)   
B1.29   –Toney Lee   Reach Up   
B1.30   –Michael Jackson   Don't Stop Til' You Get Enough   
B1.31   –The Gap Band   You Dropped A Bomb On Me   
B1.32   –Steve Miller Band   Abracadabra   
B1.33   –ABC   The Look Of Love   
B1.34   –Carol Jiani   Hit 'N Run Lover   
B1.35   –Divine   Native Love (Step By Step)   
B1.36   –Bobby Orlando   She Has A Way   
B1.37   –Paul Parker   Right On Target   
B1.38   –Patrick Cowley   Megatron Man   
B1.39   –Divine   Shoot Your Shot   
B1.40   –Donna Summer   I Feel Love   
B1.41   –Village People   Y.M.C.A.   
B1.42   –Roni Griffith   (The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up   
B1.43   –Lime (2)   Babe We're Gonna Love Tonight   
B1.44   –Patrick Cowley   Menergy   
B1.45   –Patrick Cowley   Do You Wanna Funk   
B1.46   –Lime (2)   Come And Get Your Love

phantom_power

That is great. As a side note, does anyone know the new beat(?) track that sampled the "don't you ever stop long enough to start" bit from The Clash?

Quote from: phantom_power on January 04, 2020, 10:43:36 AM
That is great. As a side note, does anyone know the new beat(?) track that sampled the "don't you ever stop long enough to start" bit from The Clash?

Fax Yourself - Sunshine 89?

https://youtu.be/BwmtJ9vshY8

stranger

Quote from: the on January 04, 2020, 01:47:57 AM
The only thing that makes me resist posting "Twat" to that is that these guys were also involved in Megabass, which was a series of mix albums put out on Telstar, but from which one track was also turned into a radio edit and got into the charts. The Megabass mixes were fantastic feats of studio edits and mixing for the time, and incorporated some decent club stuff as well as chart tunes and hip hop:

Megabass - Time To Make The Floor Burn (1990)—   (nb. this one was cut down and released as a Top 40 single, got to No. 16)
Megabass - After Dark At The Edge Of Chaos (1990)—   This one features some impressive MPC work

I know of Megabass from the "Hit The Decks" compilations which were great. Megamixes from the likes of Carl Cox, SL2, Krome & Time and others. They were also an inspiration to Echo (aka Spoon Wizard), who did the music for the "Jesus On Es" rave demo on the Amiga. Listening to them you can hear loads of samples used in Jesus on Es. Here's the Megabass mix from Hit The Decks Vol. 2

Zinc did a jungle / D&B megamix a few years ago  Over 80 tracks in just over 5 mins.

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 04, 2020, 10:28:31 AMWhich also reminded me of the Big Apple mixes which were available on vinyl in the early 80s

You bugger, the very next thing I was going to post (it got late last night) was Big Apple Productions Vol. 2!

This one has my favourite machine gun edits in it, astonishing for 1984, and outclassing many much later attempts at sampler acrobatics using tape and razors.

Quote from: the on January 04, 2020, 01:12:35 PM
You bugger, the very next thing I was going to post (it got late last night) was Big Apple Productions Vol. 2!

This one has my favourite machine gun edits in it, astonishing for 1984, and outclassing many much later attempts at sampler acrobatics using tape and razors.

I was obsessed with tape edits and that whole NY scene about 20 years ago and spent hours researching it online (that and Larry Levan/Paradise Garage). I'd picked up a few Big Apple 12"s in the 90s and knew of the Latin Rascals from pop 12"s I'd bought in the 80s. The machine gun edits are incredible and it's so laborious to do, it always reminds me of the Fast Show sketch about Aardman Animations (just a tiny amount) https://youtu.be/f19hF7-nT8g for how tedious it must have been. Once you look into it there is some great stories about what they did. The Latin Rascals article I posted goes quite in depth on the process, they're the dons. It's worth checking the work of Omar Santana and Chep Nunez as well, Nunez did the edits on lots of the big 80s NY hip hop tracks and really added to the sound (esp.Mantronix).

I remember being fascinated by this when it came out

Spear Of Destiny - Never Take Me Alive (Omar Santana)
https://youtu.be/5zzYSwIwTQo

NoSleep

Here's something I put together for CaB Radio (ten years ago, fuck!) blending Gran Am (Get High), The Chilites (Stoned Out Of My Mind), The Supremes (Stoned Love), Pink Fairies (Never Never Land) & Gong (Crystal Gnome & Flying Teapot) + I added some bass guitar and drums of my own. It was part of a 30 minute audio cut-up about drugs I did for a competition we used to do that was the audio equivalent of Wimblewrong.

Stoned

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 04, 2020, 01:36:26 PMI was obsessed with tape edits and that whole NY scene about 20 years ago and spent hours researching it online (that and Larry Levan/Paradise Garage).

I stumbled across this Youtube channel last night, were you aware of it?

The Bootleg Megamix Archive

A plethora of stuff there.

(Also I note that this bonus beats b-side contains three of the samples used in the intro to Hithouse's Jack To Sound Of The Underground and two of the main samples in We Are I.E. by Lennie De Ice - I'm guessing this was in their respective record collections)

Quote from: the on January 04, 2020, 01:47:24 PM
I stumbled across this Youtube channel last night, were you aware of it?

The Bootleg Megamix Archive

A plethora of stuff there.

(Also I note that this bonus beats b-side contains three of the samples used in the intro to Hithouse's Jack To Sound Of The Underground and two of the main samples in We Are I.E. by Lennie De Ice - I'm guessing this was in their respective record collections)

You've hit the goldmine there.

I didn't know that channel, I'm aware of some of the mixes though. Their information mentions Disco Patrick's website which was definitely one of ther sites that I used to look at BITD for info on this type of thing.

I'm willing to bet a penny to a pound that Lennie De Ice got that vocal sample from the 12" you posted rather than the original source.

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 04, 2020, 02:29:24 PMI'm willing to bet a penny to a pound that Lennie De Ice got that vocal sample from the 12" you posted rather than the original source.

Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Here's another cut & paste record from the big beat era, featuring as it does bits of other contemporaneous tunes (such as The Chemical Brothers remix of Nine Acre Dust by The Charlatans):

Wax Assassins - Feel The Funk (1998)

The construction of this is quite impressive, one of the most solid records in the big beat canon.

(I also like how the uploader has made it even more evocative of the 90s by utilising the Twirl filter)  :)

Quote from: the on January 04, 2020, 03:09:21 PM
Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Absolutely, I find that kind of thing really interesting. I get frustrated on whosampled sometimes that they list the original source (esp. breakbeats) when you know for sure because of *reasons* it was sampled elsewhere. I'm really on a 2nd and 3rd generation breaks quest at the moment.

Thinking about this thread I can see a direct correlation between the megamixes we've posted above and the hardcore/rave tracks of '92/93 via Todd Terry's & similar 88/89 house. It's definitely related to the progression of the technology in this period.

I love sampling, it's a big loss that legally it's virtually impossible for smaller artists to do now - it's really ended a very creative art form.

the

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 04, 2020, 03:28:36 PMI love sampling, it's a big loss that legally it's virtually impossible for smaller artists to do now - it's really ended a very creative art form.

I'd say the smaller artists can still utilise it, it's only if tunes get big you might hit problems. Actually come to think of it, a mate of mine used an uncleared vocal sample in a tune he put out, and his track got licensed for something on telly (and it was basically a short clip of it that prominently featured the sample), he hasn't been done for that :)

Quote from: Better Midlands on January 04, 2020, 03:28:36 PMAbsolutely, I find that kind of thing really interesting. I get frustrated on whosampled sometimes that they list the original source (esp. breakbeats) when you know for sure because of *reasons* it was sampled elsewhere. I'm really on a 2nd and 3rd generation breaks quest at the moment.

Yeah, I like using 2nd generation / composite samples sometimes as they often have a flavour of their own.

On that theme, it was only when I managed to get a download of all the Ultimate Breaks & Beats records some years ago, I realised that DJ Shadow had used them exclusively to put together his Lesson 4 track:

DJ Shadow - Lesson 4 (1992)

Still dynamite though.

Dewt

Quote from: the on January 04, 2020, 01:47:57 AM

Sometimes trolling ends up with good results!

Dewt

mrfridge

Anything Double D and Steinski (or just Steinski alone) did is worth a listen.

Cut and paste was my 'thing' for a while so I'll pop back later with some suggestions. For now I'd recommend reading this: https://ddski.com/cutuporshutup

Not sure if it's the full article but it's at least part of an exhaustive overview of the scene from Big Daddy magazine years ago. Well worth a nosey as I recall.

the

Quote from: mrfridge on January 06, 2020, 07:56:28 AMCut and paste was my 'thing' for a while so I'll pop back later with some suggestions. For now I'd recommend reading this: https://ddski.com/cutuporshutup

Very quickly skimmed my eye over that article and it reminded me of a goodun from the Revenge Of The B-Boy album:

Clockwork Voodoo Freaks - Deaf Mick's Throwdown (1999)

First heard it on the Fatboy Slim mix On The Floor At The Boutique, where it's pitched up a little (it sounds better like that IMO). The Revenge Of The B-Boy albums are decent compilations.

If you haven't picked it up, it's well worth getting the What Does It All Mean? Steinski retrospective on Illegal Art (2008), as far as I know it's the only proper re-release of the DD&S Lessons (ie. not a ropey bootleg).