Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:51:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

Started by Jim Bob, January 03, 2020, 07:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: JamesTC on January 20, 2020, 11:25:53 PM
The girl gang had nothing to them. All just to serve the pointless push for an emotional core which didn't work. I kept expecting some reveal about the gang but no, they were just a group of girls without fathers. Would have been a nice twist if they were secretly an animal liberation group as a twist on Strike Back.

Well, the girl gang are there as a means of satirising the diversity quota of modern Hollywood reboots (a deaf woman, a Chinese woman and a white woman), but I agree that they could have been given something to actually do in the final act, beyond being walking token characters, even if that was the joke.

sevendaughters

Quote from: JamesTC on January 20, 2020, 11:25:53 PM
I remember Clerks II coming out and it just blew me away how he could manage to make such a good sequel (I was 15 at the time).

not dissing you at all but I hold that Clerks II is the most dismal film I've ever seen in my entire life. so bad that it's sad. if that is being held up as a glorious past then I really ought not to see this at all.

madhair60

JamesTC

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 21, 2020, 12:47:29 AM
Well, the girl gang are there as a means of satirising the diversity quota of modern Hollywood reboots (a deaf woman, a Chinese woman and a white woman), but I agree that they could have been given something to actually do in the final act, beyond being walking token characters, even if that was the joke.

The diversity quota stuff had a little bit of pay off with the deaf girl being the only one who could save them.

The gang just needed more to them, much like the gang in Strike Back had. I think the joke is a little undermined by the fact that they are very one-note. Give the gang more motivation and then they actually subvert the expectations of them. It seems strange that they emulated so much (intentionally) from Strike Back but didn't carry on that key aspect.

JamesTC

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 21, 2020, 10:22:51 AM
not dissing you at all but I hold that Clerks II is the most dismal film I've ever seen in my entire life. so bad that it's sad. if that is being held up as a glorious past then I really ought not to see this at all.

Yeah, stay away from Reboot.

Sin Agog

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 21, 2020, 10:22:51 AM

Someone's not a donkey fan.

It's a shame this is shite, as K.S. seems way more bearable since he had a heart attack and went vegan.  Guess this is a typical case of a movie which was fun to make but a chore to watch.

Enrico Palazzo

Saw a critic say yesterday that it might be the worst film ever made. Keen to see it now.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Why does Kevin Smith always have that cunty little expression on his face, and why does he continue to dress like a 14 year old boy circa 1992, despite being nearly 50 years old?

idunnosomename

it was a reboot of his most successful incarnation after in the 00s when he tried the whole "looking like a greasy college-age nerd who lives in his parents' basement eating cheetos and masturbating to anime despite being nearly 40 years old" look

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just pose for the photograph properly you fucking freak. Christ.

Jim Bob

Also, if you must insist on wearing your baseball cap backwards, then at least tuck your ears in, you Dumbo looking mother fucker.

idunnosomename

At his age I'm surprised he's not placing a bit of lint under the strap to avoid an unsightly impression on his forehead.

madhair60

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Is that what they're called? I don't do that. No need.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't think I could stomach one of his good films these days, let alone one of the bad new ones.

idunnosomename

i quite like dogma but maybe it's just Alan Rickman demonstrating angels have no genitals I remember

Noodle Lizard

I've not watched this yet, and am kind of dreading it - but I will, out of obligation.

I'm the only person I know who has actually seen Yoga Hosers and it was, without hyperbole, among the worst films I've ever seen - and I've been a Kevin Smith defender more often than not. I know weed and podcasting has seemingly ruined Smith as far as creativity goes, but he's still lucid enough to the point where you'd think he'd have a couple of decent, low-key ideas knocking about, and he certainly has the ability to get them made. If he could make something like Clerks (which I maintain is decent) with $30k of credit card debt in the 90s, I can't figure out why he's incapable of executing an idea like that anymore. Did anyone see Hollyweed, that pilot he wrote/directed/starred in for yet another failed "audience-powerd" startup media company[nb]https://www.rivittv.com/ - says it all[/nb] (after it was already rejected by a much bigger one)? It was shite to the nth degree, and I can't imagine he spent more than a day writing it, but even the shitest things take significant time and effort to actually produce. I guess my question is why is he wasting his time on stuff that is absolutely, objectively shit - as even he tends to acknowledge with a couple years' distance?

colacentral

No Kevin Smith thread would be complete without this:

https://youtu.be/sgWk_nf7QGc

sevendaughters

Quote from: colacentral on January 22, 2020, 09:56:21 PM
No Kevin Smith thread would be complete without this:

https://youtu.be/sgWk_nf7QGc

when he does the impression of the two Clerks speaking I always lose it

My first time hearing it, fucking hilarious at times.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 22, 2020, 09:08:08 PM
I'm the only person I know who has actually seen Yoga Hosers and it was, without hyperbole, among the worst films I've ever seen...

As I mentioned in my opening post, I've seen Yoga Hosers and yes, it's absolutely awful.  Easily Kevin Smith's worst film.  I don't think there's even so much as a single redeeming second throughout its entire runtime.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 22, 2020, 09:08:08 PM
Did anyone see Hollyweed...

Yep.  Saw that too and it was garbage as well.

madhair60

I didn't bother watching Hollyweed because it was called Hollyweed.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 22, 2020, 11:29:48 AM

Why does Kevin Smith always have that cunty little expression on his face, and why does he continue to dress like a 14 year old boy circa 1992, despite being nearly 50 years old?

I watched maybe just under half of this new film and I was incredibly distracted and irritated by Bob's constant facial expressions and physical reactions to the dialogue taking place. Yes he doesn't talk so has always responded to things in that way but not to this incredibly hammy and persistent degree; I swear it was always a lot more subtle. And a lot of it is him doing this very face; eyebrows going up and down and pointing enthusiastically at anything being said that he agrees with. I couldn't take my eyes off him lol but only because I wanted to punch him 

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 23, 2020, 03:08:23 PM
I watched maybe just under half of this new film and I was incredibly distracted and irritated by Bob's constant facial expressions and physical reactions to the dialogue taking place. Yes he doesn't talk so has always responded to things in that way but not to this incredibly hammy and persistent degree; I swear it was always a lot more subtle. And a lot of it is him doing this very face; eyebrows going up and down and pointing enthusiastically at anything being said that he agrees with. I couldn't take my eyes off him lol but only because I wanted to punch him

It's been said - weed has totally fucked him up.  Go back to the 90s and early 00s and he was always fairly low-key (at least in relative terms) in both his acting and his interviewing.

Apart from Red State (which I thought was massively overrated), I've actively avoided his stuff since Clerks 2 (which I actually still quite like), so I've not yet seen Yogers or Rhino or whatever they're called.  I also famously think Chasing Amy is an absolutely abysmal film, whilst an awful lot of people still think it's his best (that prize, for my money, goes to Mallrats - the most perfect film in the View Askewniverse [IN MY OPINION]).

Famous Mortimer

I didn't like Chasing Amy when it came out, and I imagine the years have not been very kind to it.

Wet Blanket

Was Kevin Smith really not a dirty stoner until he met Seth Rogan? I though his whole thing was being King of the Slacker Bong Bros well before Rogan even came of age.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 23, 2020, 04:35:57 PM
Was Kevin Smith really not a dirty stoner until he met Seth Rogan? I though his whole thing was being King of the Slacker Bong Bros well before Rogan even came of age.

Not at all.  He was a heavy (VERY heavy) smoker of normal cigs, but rarely (if ever) smoked weed, or took any other drugs.  I think he was light on the booze as well.  He always played the stoner - he was basically just playing Jason Mewes - but never was a stoner himself.

I think the whole Rogen thing has probably been exaggerated - whilst it's true that he started smoking weed with Rogen, I don't think Rogen introduced him to it and he definitely didn't get him smoking the amount he started smoking and has continued to smoke since.  In several interviews since Zac and Miri's failure, he said he turned to weed the same way others would turn to booze, and it also replaced normal cigs which he'd given up just before making Zac and Miri.

Wet Blanket

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 23, 2020, 05:00:28 PM
Not at all.  He was a heavy (VERY heavy) smoker of normal cigs, but rarely (if ever) smoked weed, or took any other drugs.  I think he was light on the booze as well.  He always played the stoner - he was basically just playing Jason Mewes - but never was a stoner himself.

I think the whole Rogen thing has probably been exaggerated - whilst it's true that he started smoking weed with Rogen, I don't think Rogen introduced him to it and he definitely didn't get him smoking the amount he started smoking and has continued to smoke since.  In several interviews since Zac and Miri's failure, he said he turned to weed the same way others would turn to booze, and it also replaced normal cigs which he'd given up just before making Zac and Miri.

That's really interesting. I guess it makes sense that you can't actually make a decent stoner film in a fog of pot smoke, in the same way that Paul McCartney points out the Beatles would knock LSD on the head while they were making Sgt Pepper, cos if they were off their tits they wouldn't actually get anything done.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd like to see him take up heroin next. It'll keep the weight down.