Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

Started by Jim Bob, January 03, 2020, 07:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

I don't hate Chasing Amy despite its aggressively poor sexual politics, occasionally stilted dialogue, dreadful "we've all got to have sex together" ending, and direction.

Goldentony

Looking back on Chasing Amy now I feel like i'd involuntarily fold from embarrassment if I tried to watch it again. Mallrats 10th Anniversary DVD was tolerable because of the extras, Clerks is still good, always liked Dogma but fucking Chasing Amy, lads. Every scene I try and remember, fuck about. My days!

Quote from: colacentral on January 22, 2020, 09:56:21 PM
No Kevin Smith thread would be complete without this:

https://youtu.be/sgWk_nf7QGc

Very funny in its relentlessness. Led me to listen to another clip of them talking about a gathering of Juggalos and it was even funnier

non capisco

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 23, 2020, 07:32:26 PM
Led me to listen to another clip of them talking about a gathering of Juggalos and it was even funnier

Ah yes, Scharpling with Paul F. Tompkins. I have such fondness for that whole clip. Someone on the old CaB radio played it in full at a time when I was properly wrestling with the blues and it lifted me out of the mire like no-one's business. It's wonderful.

HELICOPTER RIDES! VIOLENT J'S BEACH BOYS BARBECUE BLOWOUT BASH BLAST!

I'm new to The Best Show, never heard of it until yesterday. Anyone care to recommend a top ten (or however many) list of best episodes/bits?

sevendaughters

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 23, 2020, 09:11:18 PM
I'm new to The Best Show, never heard of it until yesterday. Anyone care to recommend a top ten (or however many) list of best episodes/bits?

Rock, Rot, and Rule has to be in there.

Quote from: non capisco on January 23, 2020, 08:58:22 PM
Ah yes, Scharpling with Paul F. Tompkins. I have such fondness for that whole clip. Someone on the old CaB radio played it in full at a time when I was properly wrestling with the blues and it lifted me out of the mire like no-one's business. It's wonderful.

HELICOPTER RIDES! VIOLENT J'S BEACH BOYS BARBECUE BLOWOUT BASH BLAST!

Yep similar; really bad week (admittedly due to my own problems of excess) so it felt good to laugh out loud. Kind of lost traction once they started taking calls I felt but was crying at times. Still chuckling at the thought of wasted rowdy bros in clown makeup queuing up for a go on the helicopter.

Will definitely listen to some of other Best Show stuff on youtube

Goldentony

HELICOPTER RIDES WITH MIKE LOVE

colacentral

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 23, 2020, 09:11:18 PM

I bumped the main Best Show thread with a response:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21219.660.html

Ah, didn't know there was a megathread about it. Thanks for the reccs, I will make my way through those. +1, etc.

Back on topic: I have downloaded Jay and Silent Bob Reboot and I'm about to watch it RIGHT NOW. I hope you're all as excited as I am. Can't wait to hang out with Kevin and all my View Askewniverse friends again. A big reunion gig with me and my bros from back in the day, gittin' our smoke on. This is gonna be a fucking riot, I'll bet. One for the ages.

Noodle Lizard

I watched it last night. Not quite as offensive as Yoga Hosers, but there's also nothing good I can say about it. A lot of it was annoying. As I think someone else mentioned, Silent Bob's constant faces - what the fuck was that? It wasn't Silent Bob, it was just Kevin Smith providing his own version of a reaction track, which made that whole meta-Kevin Smith thing at the end even more redundant. That saccharine shite about a child being like your own reboot was trite and doesn't really make sense anyway. I don't think the main premise actually had any resolution, did it?

That all being said, it was more forgettable than outright terrible.

I'm 16 minutes in and it's already getting on my nerves. Word up, I hate how Kev-dawg still think it be fresh to have square white characters speaking in ebonics, yo'.

Tired hack shit that surely breathed its last breath when Weird Al Yankovich did his 'White & Nerdy' parody song in... 2006.

I've had absolutely no incentive to read a blurb let alone watch anything hes done in the last 5 or so years, but reading comments on Reddit about this film last night led me to read the wikipedia plot for his film Tusk...what the actual fuck. Went on to watch some footage and it just seems like the most appalling, notevengoodinadisturbingtackyway piece of rubbish.

The fans on reddit are defending all his more recent films by saying "you gotta understand, Kevs writing films solely for his fans now, and fans of his podcasts who are the only ones wholl get the injokes"... is that something to admire though? Writing and making films to a small niche audience with no wider appeal?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Wet Blanket on January 23, 2020, 05:39:09 PM
That's really interesting. I guess it makes sense that you can't actually make a decent stoner film in a fog of pot smoke, in the same way that Paul McCartney points out the Beatles would knock LSD on the head while they were making Sgt Pepper, cos if they were off their tits they wouldn't actually get anything done.

Quote from: Cheech Marin"The fact of the matter is we toured so much we were always straight. Everywhere we'd go, we'd check into the hotel, play basketball, get a massage and then go party afterwards. We'd seen so many of our friends get wasted and turn from really bright, intelligent guys into blithering idiots and we weren't about to do that."

Quote from: Tommy Chong"We tried [smoking pot whilst filming] one time and we wasted so much film."

Jim Bob

Quote from: Misspent Boners on January 25, 2020, 05:02:09 AM
The fans on reddit are defending all his more recent films by saying "you gotta understand, Kevs writing films solely for his fans now, and fans of his podcasts who are the only ones wholl get the injokes"... is that something to admire though? Writing and making films to a small niche audience with no wider appeal?

"Writing for his fans" is another way of saying "writing for a group of sycophantic and undiscerning fanboys".  It's not a good thing, so it's laughable that it should be any kind of go-to defence.

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 25, 2020, 09:25:03 AM
"Writing for his fans" is another way of saying "writing for a group of sycophantic and undiscerning fanboys".

And anyone could defend anything with that excuse.

'I thought that post was pretty shit, to be honest Default.'

'I knew you would. But I wrote it for the fans.'

'What fans? I don't see any fans.'

'No, but - okay, there ARE fans, right.'

'Maybe these "fans" only exist in your mind.'

'Shut up. There are fans. There's a hardcore fanbase here. They're all lapping it up, oh they can't wait for my next one. I must keep making films to appease them.'

oy vey

There's writing for your fans and there's writing for past fans of previous work. Not the same thing I think. You can't keep shoveling the same shit decade after decade. I think if Smith did legitimately move onto greater things (maybe a hit tv show or well directed serious movies) he would have better license to drop back into J&SB now. This stoner comic book drift through his career means new J&SB isn't "new". It's beyond tired. There isn't a word for it. Watching the reboot felt like I was back in a school disco thinking what the fuck an I doing back here? Yeah I liked it when I was a kid but it's fucking weird now.

Quote from: oy vey on January 25, 2020, 10:07:46 AM
There's writing for your fans and there's writing for past fans of previous work.

In the case of Kevin Smith, they are both the same thing. He's coasting on the goodwill of a film he made 26 years ago.

oy vey

Quote from: Default to the negative on January 25, 2020, 10:16:12 AM
In the case of Kevin Smith, they are both the same thing. He's coasting on the goodwill of a film he made 26 years ago.

That's one hell of a coast but yeah he must still have fans. I should say I liked Clerks 2, because he moved the characters on - finding real love, investing in the business you were dicking about in, etc. It also looked nice - almost professional. Then back to shite. Just my opinion.

Jim Bob

Quote from: oy vey on January 25, 2020, 10:34:01 AM
I should say I liked Clerks 2, because he moved the characters on - finding real love, investing in the business you were dicking about in, etc. It also looked nice - almost professional.

Indeed, the donkey sex show was very professionally shot.

oy vey

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 25, 2020, 10:43:06 AM
Indeed, the donkey sex show was very professionally shot.

Christ I forgot about that one, thanks Jim.

Edit: Stolen from early Tom Hanks comedy Bachelor Party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZKJHk-vpzY

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Does he still put references to 70's stuff that nobody cares about anymore in his films?

Jim Bob

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 25, 2020, 11:44:23 AM
Does he still put references to 70's stuff that nobody cares about anymore in his films?

I don't remember any references to 70's stuff, but Keith Coogan makes an appearance and it's unironically treated like it's a big deal that Smith managed to get him to appear.  Don't know who Keith Coogan is?  Neither did I until Jay says something to the effect of "holy shit! Keith Coogan! From Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead!".  Mother fucker hasn't been able to land a role in literally 7 years.

There was a time when they spoke of Kevin Smith as a peer of Tarantino. They both came up around the same time. But their careers went in opposite trajectories. If a hasbeen stars in a Tarantino film, it's a stepping stone to the comeback. If they star in a Kevin Smith film, it's a mark of shame.

SteveDave

I watched this last night and mildly enjoyed it as someone who used to listen to about 4 Smodcast podcasts each week. The first 15 minutes were like an endurance test but it got better when Earl (and then Matt Damon) turned up. It all fell to pieces at the Comic-Con and then dragged itself over the finish line. It felt a little bit like what Smith said Clerks 3 would be (from what I can remember).

Jeff Anderson was noticeable by his absence.

Jim Bob

Quote from: SteveDave on January 25, 2020, 01:03:46 PM
Jeff Anderson was noticeable by his absence.

Yeah, he and Smith had a falling out, but they recently patched things up, which is why Clerks III is back on the cards.

sevendaughters

Quote from: oy vey on January 25, 2020, 10:34:01 AM
That's one hell of a coast but yeah he must still have fans. I should say I liked Clerks 2, because he moved the characters on - finding real love, investing in the business you were dicking about in, etc. It also looked nice - almost professional. Then back to shite. Just my opinion.

the characters were in exactly the same position: Dante not supposed to be here today/at all and feeling like he should be better, Randall happy to be there and nihilist, both bickering about pointless pop culture, dunking on other workers and customers, obsessed with outre sex. And it looked like absolute DOG SHIT!

oy vey

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 26, 2020, 09:34:55 AM
the characters were in exactly the same position: Dante not supposed to be here today/at all and feeling like he should be better, Randall happy to be there and nihilist, both bickering about pointless pop culture, dunking on other workers and customers, obsessed with outre sex. And it looked like absolute DOG SHIT!

Well I wouldn't argue vigorously for the films merit but I do think it's his better effort. The characters started the way you say but resolved somewhere more mature.

Can we all agree there should never be a Clerks 3? Not that I feel strongly what Smith does with his career tbh. I'm Smith-fatigued.

evilcommiedictator

I enjoyed half of the camoes and the in-jokes, but fell asleep whenever it was daughter time in the plot, I understand it is the point of the Movie but bugger me, I'm invested in five movies worth of jokes and bullshit. Also kinda meta at the end, which felt like the final 37th cock before giving up on giving a shit about this