Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:14:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Eric Idle and Neil Innes [split topic]

Started by Glebe, December 29, 2019, 07:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The worst kind of poster, a cross between someone who just regurgitates talking points they've read elsewhere and expects everyone else to do their critical thinking and skepticism for them, and the extremely boring wannabe debate club nerd who thinks that lack of engagement is proof of intolerence of their blistering iconoclasm and flawless argument construction . If it's a trolling routine, it's a sad waste of time and mental energy. If it's sincere, then it's almost impossibly bleak. Get your head out of internet culture war shit and do something useful with your time

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 01:24:07 AM
How is it possible not to name-drop when most of your friends are famous celebrities? What showbiz autobiographies don't involve lots of name-dropping? Barry Cryer's always banging on about the people he's worked with, the shallow glory-hunting cunt.

Possibly he's sick and tired of the toxic weaponised ideologies that hold sway in modern Hollywood and twitter circles, annoyed by the amount of cant and sanctimony around them, and doesn't just want to trot out the usual celebrity platitudes to curry favour with the sort of shining sacks of shit who write for Vanity pissing Fair.

Or, he's a sad old rich white man baby cunt who doesn't understand the world has changed and it'll be good when he's dead.

Possibly he can say what he likes because he's Terry Gilliam, or, maybe his legacy is stained and Time Bandits will never be quite as enjoyable again knowing that he went on to have such a sadly unprogressive political outlook in his late 70s.

Bloody hell.

Still, Lie Down and Be Counted is a lovely song, isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyn6DgG7kL8

The Innes Book of Records is more humane than anything Autopsy Whatever has ever posted.

Absolutely brilliant song, yes, I remember when the chorus first hit me it was an immediate favourite. A proper rush. Innes's 1973 solo album is one of the great singer/songwriter albums, bar none

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 08, 2020, 04:55:49 AM
Absolutely brilliant song, yes, I remember when the chorus first hit me it was an immediate favourite. A proper rush. Innes's 1973 solo album is one of the great singer/songwriter albums, bar none

Oh, absolutely. That chorus hits you in the chest. Beautiful.

An actual genius.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 08, 2020, 03:15:23 AM
The worst kind of poster,

One who disagrees with you, I get it. You know nothing about me, indeed 'I' am irrelevant, there are valid arguments to be had against everything I say, but instead you go for nasty personalised character assassination and 'you should get psychiatric help', gaslighting masquerading as compassion. I could relish doing the same to the likes of you, but it feels needlessly shitty.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 08, 2020, 04:43:57 AM
The Innes Book of Records is more humane than anything Autopsy Whatever has ever posted.

Odd competition! I should think it's more humane than anything any cunt has ever posted on CaB, especially the inadequates slagging off elderly geniuses for not falling into line with Vanity Fair editorial staff on every major issue of the day.

Flouncer

The worst kind of poster, a cross between someone who just regurgitates talking points they've read elsewhere and expects everyone else to do their critical thinking and skepticism for them, and the extremely boring wannabe debate club nerd who thinks that lack of engagement is proof of intolerence of their blistering iconoclasm and flawless argument construction . If it's a trolling routine, it's a sad waste of time and mental energy. If it's sincere, then it's almost impossibly bleak. Get your head out of internet culture war shit and do something useful with your time

"Here's a load of tedious, apoplectic drivel that I picked up from some hyperbolic far-right shitehawks, which I'm just going to regurgitate as fact without having anything whatsoever to back it up. Feel free to set me straight, if you want to engage with me in a totally good-faith debate!"

His Dylan parody is just perfect, it's full of gags.

There's obviously the famous line at the beginning, but also the unnecessary tuning of his guitar, the hideous harmonica, and that bit in the final verse when he starts singing in the wrong key and quickly corrects himself. Oh, and the dropping out of shot and stumbling into the mic stand at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfTlGMCeuDE

Whenever anyone lazily dismisses 'comedy songs' out of hand, just play them one of Neil's tunes.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 10:33:49 AM
Odd competition! I should think it's more humane than anything any cunt has ever posted on CaB, especially the inadequates slagging off elderly geniuses for not falling into line with Vanity Fair editorial staff on every major issue of the day.

It's not an odd comparison (that's the word you were searching for) at all. You're stinking up a thread about a lovely, talented man who's just died with the sort of tedious reactionary shite he would've bristled at.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 08, 2020, 11:30:59 AM

Whenever anyone lazily dismisses 'comedy songs' out of hand, just play them one of Neil's tunes.

I always think someone saying they hate 'comedy songs' is as daft as someone saying they hate 'comedy films' or 'comedic books'. There are all kinds of levels of quality of humour in every medium; why do so many people think that comedy in music is a bad idea per se and think it's an intelligent stance to dismiss the very idea out of hand? (as you said)

jobotic

Hands up who thinks "I wonder what the editorial staff at Vanity Fair would think about this issue" before they form an opinion. Most of us I reckon.

Can't wait to watch Innes' Dylan later.

Autopsy Turvey

Get your head out of internet culture war shit and do something useful with your time

Just one more thing, re: this perfectly sound advice. CaB's very interesting 'show stats' function reveals that I joined this manifestation of CaB in 2005, and have since spent nearly 23 days online. Which feels like a fairly alarming figure. But then I noticed that you joined in 2011, and have spent nearly 156 days online. Physician, heal thyself etc.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 08, 2020, 11:30:59 AM
It's not an odd comparison (that's the word you were searching for) at all.

It's not the word I was searching for, I said competition because there was the nonsensical implication that my posts were in some sort of 'most humane thing' competition with the Innes Book Of Records.

QuoteYou're stinking up a thread about a lovely, talented man who's just died with the sort of tedious reactionary shite he would've bristled at.

Stinking up a thread defending his friends and colleagues from lazily hateful and juvenile insults?! We have far more that unites us than divides us. We all want a repeat season and remastered box set of Innes Book Of Records, we were all struck dumb by the news of his incredibly sad passing, but that's no reason to give embittered finger-wagging zealots a free pass.

Quote from: Flouncer on January 08, 2020, 11:30:16 AM
"Here's a load of tedious, apoplectic drivel that I picked up from some hyperbolic far-right shitehawks,

Oh I am well aware that I am outnumbered on this forum by hyperbolic far-left shitehawks. What even are you disputing, that Terry Gilliam wasn't just sick of Hollywood and twitter's skewed politics, that he's actually just a sad old cunt who doesn't understand the modern world?

jobotic

Paulie did this "look how much time you've spent online" creepy thing to me.

Of course it showed how much time I'd spent on CaB, not online. It didn't show the 0 hours I'd spent on Reddit or 4chan for instance.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: jobotic on January 08, 2020, 12:03:49 PM
Of course it showed how much time I'd spent on CaB, not online. It didn't show the 0 hours I'd spent on Reddit or 4chan for instance.

Same as me then old fruit.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 08, 2020, 11:43:27 AM
I always think someone saying they hate 'comedy songs' is as daft as someone saying they hate 'comedy films' or 'comedic books'. There are all kinds of levels of quality of humour in every medium; why do so many people think that comedy in music is a bad idea per se and think it's an intelligent stance to dismiss the very idea out of hand? (as you said)

It's just a case of snobbery and ignorance, I suppose. These people presumably haven't been exposed to genuinely funny music. Maybe they've only ever sat through shit open-mic acts a la that 'Gordon Brown' act from The League of Gentlemen. It's the only explanation I can think of.

So many ostensibly 'serious' artists include jokes, satire and wordplay in their work. Bob Dylan, to take a random example. Or... well I could just go on and on an on, couldn't I?

As I say, it's just ignorance.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 11:58:27 AM
Just one more thing, re: this perfectly sound advice. CaB's very interesting 'show stats' function reveals that I joined this manifestation of CaB in 2005, and have since spent nearly 23 days online. Which feels like a fairly alarming figure. But then I noticed that you joined in 2011, and have spent nearly 156 days online. Physician, heal thyself etc.

You got me, I'm online an embarrassing amount. It's true. I work irregular hours on a laptop and I usually keep a CaB tab open. I will fully cop to that. However my point wasn't about being online too much, but rather about having your nerves tethered to all sorts of culture war ephemera, and popping off about it all the time on the assumption that you're doing valiant work on the frontlines of the posting wars. It's unhealthy, just as snooping at someone's profile to construct a 'gotcha' is a bit unhealthy too.

Autopsy Turvey

This 'culture war' I hear so much about, mostly from yourself. Isn't it just the same old blue vs red Beat Your Neighbour type formulation, people from different poles of opinion who like a good argument haranguing each other without either giving an inch? Is there anything else to it, except that it happens online rather than in pubs and meeting halls?

It's not really snooping squire, this information is public and a click away, and it felt relevant to call up some data in self defence.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 04:37:37 PM
This 'culture war' I hear so much about, mostly from yourself. Isn't it just the same old blue vs red Beat Your Neighbour type formulation, people from different poles of opinion who like a good argument haranguing each other without either giving an inch?

No, it's a fixation on the latest fad regarding Idpol/representation/'free speech'/"you can't say that anymore"/garbage. It's not actual politics, it's just something that totally clouds the minds of those most susceptible to it, to the point where they can barely discuss anything without bringing the subject back to it. In 15 years people will look back and wonder what the hell the argument was about. It's boring and an almost total waste of time.

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 04:37:37 PM
It's not really snooping squire, this information is public and a click away, and it felt relevant to call up some data in self defence.

It's at least a couple of clicks too far, and betrays a sordid and desperate desire for the cheapest form of vindication.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 08, 2020, 04:46:44 PM
No, it's a fixation on the latest fad regarding Idpol/representation/'free speech'/"you can't say that anymore"/garbage. It's not actual politics, it's just something that totally clouds the minds of those most susceptible to it, to the point where they can barely discuss anything without bringing the subject back to it.

I see, so, is Gilliam himself mired in the right wing of this mindset when he appears to disparage transfolk and sex abuse victims, or is he addressing the 'idpol culture warriors' who are mired in the left wing of this mindset and using those identities to further their own goals? Or neither? I genuinely don't know, this isn't rhetoric.

QuoteIn 15 years people will look back and wonder what the hell the argument was about.

I guess it must have something to do with political correctness, the backlash against it, the backlash against the backlash against it, ad infinitum? Cos that row has been dribbling on since at least the 1970s. Hope you're right though!

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on January 08, 2020, 05:03:29 PM
I see, so, is Gilliam himself mired in the right wing of this mindset when he appears to disparage transfolk and sex abuse victims, or is he addressing the 'idpol culture warriors' who are mired in the left wing of this mindset and using those identities to further their own goals? Or neither? I genuinely don't know, this isn't rhetoric.

I don't think Gilliam knows either

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 08, 2020, 05:26:01 PM
I don't think Gilliam knows either

He doesn't. Gilliam doesn't really know what he's talking about, he's combining an automatic need to be edgy and irreverent - forever the maverick outsider - with some inarticulate feelings based on a subject he hasn't given much thought to.

I'm no psychologist, I've never claimed to be - and nor has my wife - but that appears to be what's going on in that interview.

Or maybe Gilliam is just a stupid cunt, I don't really care. He was in the Monty Pythons and he's made some good films. I couldn't care less. Autopsy, you sound like a stupid cunt too. WHATEVS.

Here's another beautiful Neil Innes tune to lift our spirits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NNKiZR7Gls

Wotcha.

I don't think I've posted on these here forums in around 13 years, but here I am. My hair is a similar length.

Has anyone heard the Rule of Three podcast, specifically, and fairly pertinent to this thread, the Kevin Eldon episode talking about The Rutles? October 2018 vintage.

It's here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/5Up9rn0lwliwyrFwlUmUoi?si=EhIG4fwETzmI1z4u3Hy5CQ

Run/hosted/curated by Joel Morris & Jason Hazeley who've worked with Charlie Brooker (Wipes and A Touch of Cloth and Cunk), wrote The Framley Examiner and recent Ladybird books such as The Hipster... also did writes on Paddingtons.

Love to you all! xx

Ambient Sheep

Hiya!  Good to see you!

Yup, we do have a Rule of Three podcast thread, it's well liked round these parts, although I was surprised to see the thread's dropped as far as page 4 as it's usually quite busy.

No mention of the Rutles edition though apart from briefly in two posts on the first page (of seven), so it's good to have a reminder that it exists!

Quote from: The Man With Brass Eyes on January 09, 2020, 09:25:47 PMMy hair is a similar length.

So's mine!

Replies From View

Quote from: TheMonk on January 02, 2020, 01:20:09 PM
He now looks like a Spitting Image puppet of himself.

If that was a Spitting Image puppet I don't think I'd easily guess who it was meant to be.  I'd probably go with Michael Howard.

Flouncer

The phrase 'eyes like pissholes in the snow' was made for him.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 10, 2020, 05:34:08 AM
Hiya!  Good to see you!

Yup, we do have a Rule of Three podcast thread, it's well liked round these parts, although I was surprised to see the thread's dropped as far as page 4 as it's usually quite busy.

Hey Sheepy! Thanks for the reply.
Good to see much of the old crowd still around.

Thanks for the tip-off to the thread. I'll check it out.

I believe their new/next series (s5) appears in February.

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on January 10, 2020, 05:34:08 AM
So's mine!

Fucking hippie!

Custard

My favourite Innes tune is the quite lovely Kenny & Liza

https://youtu.be/AeLZEcweY1s

We was rolling along...

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 12, 2020, 10:15:52 AM
My favourite Innes tune is the quite lovely Kenny & Liza

https://youtu.be/AeLZEcweY1s

We was rolling along...

One of the best songs Ray Davies never wrote. Beautiful.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 12, 2020, 10:15:52 AM
We was rolling along...
Is it?!  For the last  ~40 years I've assumed it was "Wheels rolling along."
Another part of my youth ruined.*

* Not actually ruined.

bomb_dog

It's 2am in the motorway but it sounds like it could be either.
https://neilinnes.media/chords/ says 'wheels' though