Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:01:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoMe

This is a great album of groovy jazz and funk versions, let down by an incredibly naff cover. It looks like some kind of bootleg/self-released amateur project, rather than a Blue Note album. Bizarre.

Head Gardener

daf

That one's made up from bits of five faces (when they had two 'Kens' in the band) and it STILL just ends up looking like Barry!

jenna appleseed

Probably already in one of these threads but a terrifying giant Terry Nutkins head replaces the Teletubby sun baby.

jenna appleseed

Now with added Teletubbies (sorry, not sorry)

DrGreggles

kalowski

Auntie Beryl

Quote from: DrGreggles on December 29, 2020, 03:51:01 PM
James did a similar thing on Pleased to Meet You

As did The Beloved on X (albeit with only two people in the band):

non capisco

purlieu

PlanktonSideburns

would love those butchers wellies tho

buzby

Quote from: lazyhour on July 21, 2020, 09:31:32 PM

It should be noted that that comes from a Germany-only 2-disc compilation album that Ms. Simon likely had nothing to do with being released. It was also only used on ther first pressing, the second pressing used this artwork (by the same artist, Patrick Von Spreckelsen):

I can only imagine that when she finally saw the original version, Simon asked for it to be redone. The inner sleeve of the gatefold reproduced the oriiginal album artwork:

Patrick Von Spreckelsen did the artwork for 28 of the releases in Warner's '2 Originals' series (which repackaged a pair of early albums by each artist) in the early-to-mid 70s. They were mostly only released in Europe:

lazyhour

Yes, I've had plenty of them come through my record shop, including the far superior second Carly Simon cover. As you note, they're not compilations per se - they're 'twofers' which house reissues of two complete albums in a gatefold sleeve.

They're all pretty cack to my eyes, especially as they tease you with the full original album sleeves on the inner gatefold.

phantom_power

I've got the Sparks one. The cover is OK. Sorry

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on February 03, 2021, 11:39:29 AM
I've got the Sparks one. The cover is OK. Sorry
Yeah, that's not one of Von Spreckelsen's. That was designed by Rosie Coole at the Seabrook Graves Aslett design agency. They basically just reused the artwork from the original Halfnelson debut album (before they changed their name and reissued it), which had been put together by Ron, based on an old promotional photo for a car he had stuck on their rehearsal room wall.

gilbertharding

It's definitely not featured in this thread - but possibly in the first one...

It looks OK at first glance - but once you start to notice things like all their T Shirts being airbrushed, along with the floor, and then there's Marky in the window - and you wonder why? And why do it so ineptly?

holyzombiejesus

I like the photo and the 'For the first time' (although that's a bit naff for a debut album) but the band title and then the photo credit are pretty crappy.

The Mollusk

Who goes out with their nails looking as bad as that? Unreal.

Pauline Walnuts

It's a pretty good album that, this is the cover to her second album:

BlodwynPig

I was searching Discogs for a noise/abstract/ambient artist called Anaphylaxis... unfortunately I clicked on the wrong artist (2)...do not (really do not) look at their (collaboration) album covers. Let's just say I think Discogs should remove them (the album in question is called "3 ways of dead cunt fuckers").

lazyhour

Single rather than album, but...

Oh Macca, oh why?

The Mollusk

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 08, 2021, 08:53:00 PM
I was searching Discogs for a noise/abstract/ambient artist called Anaphylaxis... unfortunately I clicked on the wrong artist (2)...do not (really do not) look at their (collaboration) album covers. Let's just say I think Discogs should remove them (the album in question is called "3 ways of dead cunt fuckers").

Well... obviously I looked. Oof. A lot of dudes are really obsessed with fetishising the brutal murder of women aren't they? Oh, you men!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 09, 2021, 10:46:48 AM
Well... obviously I looked. Oof. A lot of dudes are really obsessed with fetishising the brutal murder of women aren't they? Oh, you men!

I'm not going back to that page, I wonder how many "Haves" that record has. Get the cops to keep an eye on those guys.

Glebe

purlieu

The Mollusk

Absolute fucking state of this cover from the multi-instrumentalist and Jellyfish co-founder. It is a very decent album (though I'm not massively taken by his vocals, personally) but... yeah, I mean, look at that thing.

purlieu

1997 or 1998, I'm guessing.

fake edit: 2006?!