Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 28, 2021, 02:16:31 PM

Absolute fucking state of this cover from the multi-instrumentalist and Jellyfish co-founder. It is a very decent album (though I'm not massively taken by his vocals, personally) but... yeah, I mean, look at that thing.

yea spinning this now, its not the badly produced eurodance i was expecting!

Glebe

Think he needs to work on his imagination.

The Mollusk

He clearly wanted a cover which was a visual depiction of his eclectic songwriting and multiple instrument skill set but flipping heck, it misses the mark so spectacularly.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: The Mollusk on February 28, 2021, 07:33:21 PM
He clearly wanted a cover which was a visual depiction of his eclectic songwriting and multiple instrument skill set but flipping heck, it misses the mark so spectacularly.

You're missing the point. It's "Pure Imagination"

The Mollusk

famethrowa

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on February 28, 2021, 05:58:26 PM
yea spinning this now, its not the badly produced eurodance i was expecting!

I love the guy's Moog Cookbook stuff, and Jellyfish is pretty good, but this.... didn't Ben Folds do it all about 10 years before?

wosl

jenna appleseed

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 09, 2021, 11:12:32 AM

fake album too according to discogs
https://www.discogs.com/release/10764813-Hannetts-Electronic-Recordings-Homage-To-Delia-Derbyshire/reviews#c847207

"mtd October 25, 2017
Kind of amazed that this has now been out at least 2 months without anyone commenting on the fact that this LP basically isn't what it says it is. Most of the material on here is from a De Wolfe library LP ('Sounds Unusual' by Derek Scott) and would appear to have nothing to do with Hannett at all!
https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Scott-Sounds-Unusual/release/1598507

Bit of a cock-up right? What's the story Ozit-Morpheus?"

jenna appleseed

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: jenna appleseed on March 09, 2021, 08:43:15 PM
There's a second one that doesn't even have Delia on the cover

Who's that on the right?

BlodwynPig

Seems a bit low for Ozit/morpheus records. They are pretty much a country bumpkin label but have put out some good stuff previously. Although now looking at their discogs page, they do look like a poor man's Cleopatra records.

Unusual Sounds is a fantastic album and I rate it > BBC radiophonic.

Sebastian Cobb

That Joseph Manning album feels very DMX Krew to me.

Came in to post the new Arab Strap artwork. I thought it was a cock up on the press release when I saw it.

The back is similar and the LP sleeve is a screenshot of Visual Studio Code showing a JSON representation of the track metadata (title, duration, lyrics).

The Culture Bunker

World Party's last album had a real humdinger of a shite cover:

It was reissued a few years later with a different (better) track listing, but not much improvement to the cover:

Shame, as I like the album, despite the packaging and crap title.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 10, 2021, 01:52:49 PM
That Joseph Manning album feels very DMX Krew to me.

Came in to post the new Arab Strap artwork. I thought it was a cock up on the press release when I saw it.

The back is similar and the LP sleeve is a screenshot of Visual Studio Code showing a JSON representation of the track metadata (title, duration, lyrics).

I was thinking of posting that one too. Shame as they generally did quite nice sleeves.

Just saw this in the pre-releases...

I know 4AD aren't really 4AD any more but that's such an crappy and unsuitable sleeve.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 10, 2021, 05:26:23 PM
I was thinking of posting that one too. Shame as they generally did quite nice sleeves.

Yeah they did. I think I like the cheap photo ones they did on Go Beat for Mad for Sadness and Elephant Shoe the best.

I've always wondered if Monday at the Hug and Pint looks like a Belle and Sebastian lp intentionally or they just happened to use the same designer.

Pauline Walnuts

I can't do it, but can someone photoshop some police tape around the crime scene?

I feel bad now.

Due to a track from it just turning up on a random Spotify playlist, I've just been reminded of the "yeah, that'll do" nature of the cover for Eric Clapton's 'Old Sock' album.

Deary me. 

buzby

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 26, 2021, 12:38:46 PM

That was 'inspired' by Peter Saville's 'after Bold' sleeve design for New Order's Run2 single:

Produce even sent washing powder box-sized promo card standees out to record shops to promote the album.

buzby

Quote from: jenna appleseed on March 09, 2021, 08:30:24 PM
fake album too according to discogs
https://www.discogs.com/release/10764813-Hannetts-Electronic-Recordings-Homage-To-Delia-Derbyshire/reviews#c847207

"mtd October 25, 2017
Kind of amazed that this has now been out at least 2 months without anyone commenting on the fact that this LP basically isn't what it says it is. Most of the material on here is from a De Wolfe library LP ('Sounds Unusual' by Derek Scott) and would appear to have nothing to do with Hannett at all!
https://www.discogs.com/Derek-Scott-Sounds-Unusual/release/1598507

Bit of a cock-up right? What's the story Ozit-Morpheus?"
From that Discogs review page:
Chris Hewitt most likely found an unlabelled tape of the De Wolfe LP in question amongst some of the Martin Hannett artifacts he seems to have acquired, put 2 and 2 together and got 7.
Chris Hewitt is the former co-owner of Cargo Studios and friend of Hannett who 'came into possesion' of a load of Hannett's stuff after he died. It's through him that those 'Hannett's personal mixes' Joy Division bootlegs started appearing, and he was also the source for a few of the items of questionable provenance in Peter Hook's 'Grand Charity (definitely not tax bill related, honest guv) Crap Clearout' auction a couple of years ago.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: buzby on March 29, 2021, 11:08:01 AM
That was 'inspired' by Peter Saville's 'after Bold' sleeve design for New Order's Run2 single:
Perhaps an element of the Clash's 'Cost of Living' EP too?

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on March 29, 2021, 11:39:04 AM
Perhaps an element of the Clash's 'Cost of Living' EP too?

Very probably. The Farm's bassist, Carl Hunter, was also their sleeve designer and is a big fan of both The Clash (he had that very sleeve as his FB profile pic for a while) and Peter Saville. He used the Radion packaging as a basis for his design.

imitationleather

Pauline Walnuts