Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 05:57:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: gmoney on October 02, 2021, 01:15:14 AM

I think I read somewhere that Frank Zappa had that painting on his wall, so it might have been his idea to use it.

PlanktonSideburns

Custard

Nice to see Meredith from The Office being immortalised

purlieu

Brian Butterfield: The Psych Rock Years

H-O-W-L

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 22, 2021, 01:27:07 AM
Woah! Speaking of the internet, I read that in the "well done for remaining right wing, despite all the opposition" sense.

Hate this angle honestly. I could go into a big rant about it but it's really nothing to do with the right wing -- it comes from Lil' B, a very progressive, pro-LGBT, pro-positivity, pro-tolerance man, and I think it's absolute insanity that people -- frankly, predominantly white people on the internet -- are saying the right-wing can  take a black man's word of positivity -- especially when he comes from a very rough background and a very historically homophobic music culture, one which often rejects him for his pro-LGBT messages -- and twist it into some dogwhistle. Nobody has any right to say that the right has "taken" or "reclaimed" it from him. It's why I still use it in the original context Lil' B uses it -- to mean living the life you want to lead, and to live and act in a positive way that helps others and can be looked up to.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but it really does bother the fuck out of me. Just because it got attached to this literally braindead phrase blurted out by idiots does not mean it's been twisted or taken from the man, or the culture he gave it to. I still know plenty of people who use it and they're the furthest from the right-- and I'm one of them.

I didn't know it's origin, so genuinely thanks for that.
Another thing that the cretins have tried to hijack.
Sorry for the late reply, haven't looked at this subforum for ages.

I knew that it meant more standing up for what you believed in, having a strong core and not being easily swayed by the general consensus, but I thought I was making a joke about how 9 times out of 10, the people you saw using the term on the net were arseholes slapping each other on the back, so thanks for picking me up on that.

Head Gardener

Rizla

We tried to get Paul Lafolley but he was dead, so...

Head Gardener

Wow. They still going? I loved "clinic" that first bunch of eps.
Is this any good?

imitationleather

Everything they release sounds basically the same, so if you liked them in the late '90s you'll probably think the current stuff is alright too.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 08:38:13 PM
Everything they release sounds basically the same, so if you liked them in the late '90s you'll probably think the current stuff is alright too.

Not sure this is, to be honest. They're down to a duo now and the clips I've heard sound a bit different to the other older stuff.

Quote from: imitationleather on October 18, 2021, 08:38:13 PM

Haha, well, I didn't like anything I heard after that first bunch of EPs, like you say, samey and not as good.
Just had a sniff around on youtube and it sounds plenty different to me! I don't like it.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on October 02, 2021, 02:12:19 AM
I think I read somewhere that Frank Zappa had that painting on his wall, so it might have been his idea to use it.

He gave it to his parents, who put it in their lounge.
edit: apparently this is not true, just a staged photo. Wiki says the painting was stolen

gmoney

Video Game Fan 2000

I think Zappa fucked the record up too. It sounds like it might have been really good psychedelic thing at some point, heavier Red Krayola, but no Frank needed comical weirdos for his Straight Records gimmick and they didn't finish it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 18, 2021, 11:45:37 PM
I think Zappa fucked the record up too. It sounds like it might have been really good psychedelic thing at some point, heavier Red Krayola, but no Frank needed comical weirdos for his Straight Records gimmick and they didn't finish it.

zappa is a PRIME dunning kruger when it comes to production

H-O-W-L

I've always thought Zappa was really pretentious pseud shite honestly.

The Mollusk

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 19, 2021, 06:35:06 AM
I've always thought Zappa was really pretentious pseud shite honestly.

You're not alone in this thinking, least of all on this forum!

H-O-W-L

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 19, 2021, 08:54:47 AM
You're not alone in this thinking, least of all on this forum!

It's an opinion I'm always anxious about expressing honestly, mostly because Zappa is one of those things that is culturally tripwired and landmined; because of its pretentions to being intellectual and kooky and hard-to-understand while being completely vapid, means that people can quickly and easily dismiss any criticism of it with "ahhh you just don't get it ahhhhh you're not that smart ahhhh" which leads to a bunch of argumentative bollocks that doesn't really address the fact that Zappa and his works are completely devoid of any wit or soul and exist purely to be complete pseud shit for cunts. That and I still don't feel like I fit in here in CAB so there's that.

It's like that ancient MS Paint 4chan image of "haha look at this drawing of a dead guy arent i so DEEP and DARK and CRAZY??? haha im a TOUGH CUSTOMER aint i??? im so DEPRAVED and DIFFERENT from you" but in musical form.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 19, 2021, 10:56:35 AM
It's an opinion I'm always anxious about expressing honestly, mostly because Zappa is one of those things that is culturally tripwired and landmined; because of its pretentions to being intellectual and kooky and hard-to-understand while being completely vapid, means that people can quickly and easily dismiss any criticism of it with "ahhh you just don't get it ahhhhh you're not that smart ahhhh"

Were you talking to Mark E. Smith about Zappa?

lazyhour

All I would say is: listen to Zappa's "Hot Rats" album. If you still hate him afterwards, totally fair play.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Rizla on October 18, 2021, 01:57:59 AM
We tried to get Paul Lafolley but he was dead, so...

I quite liked their, err *goes checks* last album cover

Looks intriguing. The cover that is, gawd knows what the music is like.

fake edit: Actually, I know full well what the music is like. *shudder*

The Mollusk

Quote from: H-O-W-L on October 19, 2021, 10:56:35 AM
It's an opinion I'm always anxious about expressing honestly, mostly because Zappa is one of those things that is culturally tripwired and landmined; because of its pretentions to being intellectual and kooky and hard-to-understand while being completely vapid, means that people can quickly and easily dismiss any criticism of it with "ahhh you just don't get it ahhhhh you're not that smart ahhhh" which leads to a bunch of argumentative bollocks that doesn't really address the fact that Zappa and his works are completely devoid of any wit or soul and exist purely to be complete pseud shit for cunts. That and I still don't feel like I fit in here in CAB so there's that.

It's like that ancient MS Paint 4chan image of "haha look at this drawing of a dead guy arent i so DEEP and DARK and CRAZY??? haha im a TOUGH CUSTOMER aint i??? im so DEPRAVED and DIFFERENT from you" but in musical form.

Sorry to hear you don't feel like you totally fit in here. If it's any consolation I've been here 15 years and I still get that feeling - and I'm a cis white dude. I think you're great though, you've got a unique way of framing your opinions which I always enjoy reading.

Incidentally you're completely right about Zappa. The music and the artist and its fans like to think they're intellectually bulletproof but they can't ever guard themselves from people like us: informed and passionate about music but still able to analyse Zappa and simply, honestly say "this is shit".

famethrowa

I like to listen to Zappa sometimes, generally it's interesting (except for the guitar solos, ugh) and probably annoying too. But I've never heard one ounce of soul or emotion in the music, he writes melodies like a maths equation. I know Frank would have loved to have written a popular song, but he was just not able.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on October 18, 2021, 10:39:21 PM
He gave it to his parents, who put it in their lounge.
edit: apparently this is not true, just a staged photo. Wiki says the painting was stolen

would have loved to hear zappa's mum and dad making music, based on their living room decor

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: famethrowa on October 19, 2021, 12:25:52 PM
I like to listen to Zappa sometimes, generally it's interesting (except for the guitar solos, ugh) and probably annoying too. But I've never heard one ounce of soul or emotion in the music, he writes melodies like a maths equation. I know Frank would have loved to have written a popular song, but he was just not able.

He got a number one single in Norway.

Pauline Walnuts

And Sweden, and they know a good pop song, or something. Even if the song would probably be classed as a homophobic hate crime now.

Famous Mortimer

I also very much dislike Frank Zappa, so welcome.

chveik

Zappa sucks. cunt had the sense of humour of Beavis & Butt-Head