Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Quote from: chveik on October 19, 2021, 05:50:06 PM
Zappa sucks. cunt had the sense of humour of Beavis & Butt-Head

He wishes.

chveik

i meant the characters, not the show which is obviously ace

purlieu

I like We're in it for the Money, but after that I struggle.

McChesney Duntz

I consider his 60s output fairly bulletproof, with a gradual but definite dropoff directly thereafter, with the more embarrassing than not scale tipping to the wrong side permanently in the late 70s. (That said, if forced to pare down my total FZ collection to one copy of We're Only In It For The Money and one of The Grand Wazoo, I'd be fine with that.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I consider all of his outpost to be a load of old shit. The only positive thing I can say about him and his shit band is that they've influenced quite a few decent bands like The Fall and Bongwater. In common with Bob Dylan, I will *not* have his music in my house.

( I mean I also think Bob Dylan's shit, I don't mean Bob Dylan won't have his music in his house; maybe he won't).

H-O-W-L

I've always respected Dylan's lyrics even if I fucking despise the sound of any actual recorded work he's produced.  A part of my hate for Zappa also stems from the fact a couple of his songs trivialize rape (one of them being a jokey song about a real world serial rapist whom was caught the very year he started performing it.) and tend to refer to women in ways I feel are repugnant.

Video Game Fan 2000

Freak Out! is one of my favourite records and Zappa falls off a cliff after. There's like 30-45 minutes of very good Mothers music otherwise, then nada. It's painfully obvious that this is a man repressing his true musical loves to make stuff that sounds clever, he felt like he wasn't allowed to truly love the music he loved growing up so he projected that unpleasantness on everyone else, especially his audience. He wanted everyone to know he could be genuinely hilarious and make stunning music if he so desired, but you wanting him to do that was dumb and stupid hahaha you want something good to emotionally invest yourselves in you idiots.

Quote from: John CaleFrank Zappa's Mothers of Invention opened for us at the Trip and Zappa immediately started putting us down on stage. He went out of his way to be silly and offensive. He really didn't know how to be any other way. He took full advantage of what we were doing. And it was a great band, the original Mothers. But there was something that really bothered me about Zappa's relationship with music. I thought, here was a man who really did nothing to make you want to like him, who did nothing that made you want to love music. Having been forced to learn music, the guy was so conflicted about his father and that strict regime that he would turn around and spit in the face of an art form. Behind this tremendous sense of humour was a scathing, sarcastic attitude towards music. And really the best part of music is how you get people to work, get people around you to enjoy it and how user-friendly music is to people

Beagle 2

Have we done this one yet? Probably. Still, fucking hell. Staggering.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 15, 2021, 01:05:31 PM

Yeah, the thought that there maybe a Vol II is staggering.

Video Game Fan 2000

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: Beagle 2 on December 15, 2021, 01:05:31 PM

You know when you've been Tango'd.

imitationleather

Anyone heard any of those songs?

I've not. 😎

olliebean

Quote from: imitationleather on December 15, 2021, 04:05:37 PMAnyone heard any of those songs?

I've not. 😎

By the time I'd finished reading them (and no, I haven't either), I became convinced someone had input a list of song names into https://bellard.org/textsynth/ and copied the output onto the album cover.

purlieu

I find it remarkable that there's a best of after just three albums. Those kinds of compilations are pretty uncommon these days as it is, but basically three singles campaigns stacked up and stuck on a disc is really bizarre.

The cover's a homage to this...

mothman

The Mollusk

That really is the single most drab list of song titles I've ever seen. Not a looker in the bunch, embarrassing.

daf

The Best of Trad. Arr. Meat and Potatoes . . . Volume 1

kalowski

Quote from: imitationleather on December 15, 2021, 04:05:37 PMAnyone heard any of those songs?

I've not. 😎
None. Is there really a song called AKA...What A Life?

kalowski

Quote from: purlieu on December 15, 2021, 06:13:10 PMI find it remarkable that there's a best of after just three albums. Those kinds of compilations are pretty uncommon these days as it is, but basically three singles campaigns stacked up and stuck on a disc is really bizarre.

The cover's a homage to this...

Christ what an arse Gallagher is. I can't imagine a single thing he's written being worthy of being in the same room as To Love Somebody.

phantom_power

Quote from: kalowski on December 17, 2021, 06:34:00 AMNone. Is there really a song called AKA...What A Life?

Yes, making me wonder of he understands what AKA means

purlieu

It was originally called Ride the Tiger AKA... What a Life!, he didn't like the opening bit but decided to keep the AKA because it looked unusual. It's one of his better solo tracks, and the Amorphous Androgynous remix is bloody great:
Naff lyrics, of course.

mothman

AKA... Shit For Cunts is genuinely the only Low Flying Turds song I could name OR recognise.

Campbell Soupe

I hate the fact this thread just made me google whether Noel Gallagher had covered Nick Drake.

Glebe

Most aptly titled album ever going by that.

NattyDread 2

I've had this (brilliant) compilation for ages and because I could barely stand to look at the bloody awful cover, I'd never noticed what is probably the worst element of it.
While it's fairly clear there's an attempt at 'Rastaman Vibration' era Bob in the middle there, who the fuck are the other two blokes meant to be? Because they look bugger all like Peter and Bunny.  They've not even tried to do the Wailers there.

kalowski

Ronnie Lane in blackface on the left, Derek Griffiths on the right.

The Mollusk

Can't be fucking arsed to post the new Bastille album cover for fucking SUCK MY DICK FUTURE or whwtevr it's called but jesus christ it's bad