Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:50:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on February 28, 2020, 09:14:57 AM
That seems to be the logical, if unfortunate, 40 year progression from Machine Gun Etiquette.

The Damned were always wacky and cartoonish and a bit end of pier, I don't see the Margate cover as offbrand or a 'how the mighty have fallen' moment. If anything, it was the eras where they were closer to taking themselves seriously (ie the two phases where Captain Sensible had left) that are the aberrations. Even then they weren't above daft moments like the 'Gigolo' video with Vanian wearing a mortar board while stuffed animals rained down on him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F41oY5CXpAE

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 16, 2020, 09:18:11 AM
Looks alright to me. Of course, its futuristic vibe will be totally at odds with his boring old git rock.

[/quote]

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 16, 2020, 09:58:05 AM

Heh! If only he'd start aping Actress's music as well, we'd be getting somewhere.

purlieu

Puce Moment

Middle bit of that Julian House vid seems to be sampling from Witch Cults. And that's a good thing.

wosl

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on March 16, 2020, 09:58:05 AM

Top: Frank Stella, "Sidney Guberman", lithograph
Bottom: Frank Stella, "Sidney Guberman", metallic paint on shaped-canvas

Ferris

There has never been a good album cover featuring the artist(s) holding electric instruments that aren't plugged in.

It is the ultimate "bring your guitar to the photo shoot mate yeah well we took 500 photos and this was the best one alright well fuck it we will make it work" move.

Johnny Yesno

alan nagsworth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:44:34 AM
There has never been a good album cover featuring the artist(s) holding electric instruments that aren't plugged in.

It is the ultimate "bring your guitar to the photo shoot mate yeah well we took 500 photos and this was the best one alright well fuck it we will make it work" move.

Do parody covers count? Because this one is fucking cool as fuck.

Pauline Walnuts

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah that's been posted in the wrong thread

Ferris

I've never noticed Nick Drake isn't wearing his shoes on the cover of Bryter Layter. Isn't that odd. Hmm.

Nags - that's a nice cover, but only inasmuch as it is basically the ND one with a different instrument so I'm going to claim my tenuous point still stands.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on March 18, 2020, 11:52:10 AM
Yeah that's been posted in the wrong thread

It was a response to yer man Ferris saying there's never been a good album cover featuring an instrument that's not plugged in.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 18, 2020, 12:24:58 PM
Nags - that's a nice cover, but only inasmuch as it is basically the ND one with a different instrument so I'm going to claim my tenuous point still stands.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 18, 2020, 05:33:28 PM
It was a response to yer man Ferris saying there's never been a good album cover featuring an instrument that's not plugged in.

Oh yeah was just gilding the lily!

magval

Quote from: jenna appleseed on February 28, 2020, 12:38:35 AM

Vampire bloke (real/fake Dave vANIAN?) on our left going 'Tssk.

Is there a fake Dave Vanian?!

Lemming

Dunno if it was in the previous thread but this is ace. Can't decide whether this is belongs in this thread or the Great Album Covers thread. It's fucking brilliant. Can only assume she took a bunch of photos for an album cover photo shoot then decided to use the worst one as a joke.

This Diana Ross live album belongs much more firmly in this thread though.

alan nagsworth

"Bloody hell David, it's 4am, can you not knock the wickedness on the head just for one night?"

"Complain all you like Barbara, but by getting annoyed with me all you're doing is proving my point."

"It's fucking ridiculous now. I mean, leaving the light on is one thing but I really have to draw the line at the dry ice machine."

"They're both essential tools of my trade actually, for as we speak they're clocking up an absolutely dastardly electricity bill."

"And who's going to pay for that, eh? Trade, my arse. You've not worked in weeks now, all you do is sit about pouting and smirking about clogging the shower with pubes and leaving the milk out to spoil."

"Wickedness takes many forms. I wouldn't expect you to understand."

"Oh, piss off, David."

*FAAAAAART*

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Lemming on March 20, 2020, 01:04:26 AM
This Diana Ross live album belongs much more firmly in this thread though.

That'd be great if it wasn't for the crappy ticket thing in the corner.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Lemming on March 20, 2020, 01:04:26 AM
Dunno if it was in the previous thread but this is ace. Can't decide whether this is belongs in this thread or the Great Album Covers thread. It's fucking brilliant. Can only assume she took a bunch of photos for an album cover photo shoot then decided to use the worst one as a joke.

I actually like that, aside from the text

Head Gardener

Ferris

Ferris

Love 'em to bits, but this is a stinker:

alan nagsworth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 10, 2020, 02:23:17 AM
I quite like that

Yeah, it's great. If I saw that in a record shop in the jazz or avant-garde or post-rock sections I'd buy it without knowing needing to know anything about the artist. Shame it's not, and is instead the art for a band so utterly stale and turgid there's no connection whatsoever with the cover art and the music.

Strokes cover is a Basquiat painting. Loving the album, especially the Billy Idol interpolation (never thought I'd say those words)

Ferris

I wondered if it was Basquiat! Thought it was just lifting the style.

imitationleather

Yes the Strokes cover is good. However it's exactly like when Julian Casablancas used the aesthetic appropriate for a far more interesting band with The Voidz.

Head Gardener

Rizla

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 17, 2020, 12:44:34 AM

A classic of the genre - big Demis's curly lead just sitting on the floor there, Vangelis prolly got a triumph herald engine in that wheeled organ of his.

Ferris

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Head Gardener on May 03, 2020, 05:12:35 PM

I get the 'country' part and the 'knights' part but where is the 'hot' part?