Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:45:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

12 of the UK's most famous and influential games... ON STAMPS

Started by Beagle 2, January 07, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

I thought we might like to have a massive pointless argument about the choices.

Four Tomb Raider games Jeremy? Four? That's insane.

PlanktonSideburns

NoSleep

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

MojoJojo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 07, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Presumably because Tomb Raider is the only that is still around. GTA is rather obvious (if unsurprising) omission.

Norton Canes

I get Elite but Dizzy seems a bit of a random choice. You'd think there'd be an Ultimate game instead.

Something something 'the Stampers', you do the rest.

Bazooka

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 07, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Didn't even get TR 3's full title correct,Id quite like that set.
Regardless they are a British institution.

Bit surprised to see no Rare games.

Sin Agog

Would have appreciated The Big Ball of Poo from Conker's Bad Fur Day in stamp form.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 07, 2020, 12:20:00 PM
I get Elite but Dizzy seems a bit of a random choice. You'd think there'd be an Ultimate game instead.
It makes sense to me. I reckon that egg fellow is probably the most iconic character from the Spectrum days

I suppose there's probably some big tangle of copyright stuff preventing it, but Goldeneye and Donkey Kong Country both strike me as glaring omissions.

Mister Six

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 07, 2020, 12:20:00 PM

I was delighted to see Dizzy there. It's not that surprising is it? It was a massively popular series that spawned about 20 games...

H-O-W-L

No X-COM? Fuck off, cunt. Tomb Raider 2013 isn't even fucking British! Shitty zombies!

Mister Six

No Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner seems a bit odd. As does the lack of GTA, as others have said. Four lots of Tomb Raider is bollocks but I suppose Lara Croft's pyramidal tits are more iconic to yer man on the street than the gaggle of polygons seen in that elite screenshot.

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2020, 02:14:46 PM
No Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner seems a bit odd. As does the lack of GTA, as others have said. Four lots of Tomb Raider is bollocks but I suppose Lara Croft's pyramidal tits are more iconic to yer man on the street than the gaggle of polygons seen in that elite screenshot.

It isn't an original game, being based on the Atari game Miner 2049er.

Mister Six

Inspired by it, but not based on. The key gameplay is different - in 2049er you had to colour in the floor; in MM you're collecting objects as you flit from screen to screen.

NoSleep

Not as fundamentally original as Elite, for example, which is the grandaddy of sandbox games as well as a brave attempt at 3D flight on the primitive hardware (well, there is Atari's Star Raiders, too).

I'd guess Lara Croft gets a big show for being a British character in a British game. That's probably a good reason why Driver or GTA don't figure, as well as their focus on criminal activity.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: NoSleep on January 07, 2020, 02:42:19 PM
I'd guess Lara Croft gets a big show for being a British character in a British game. That's probably a good reason why Driver or GTA don't figure, as well as their focus on criminal activity.

Driver's focus on criminal activity? You play a copper in almost every single instalment.

NoSleep

Lara Croft is basically a burglar who shoots endangered wildlife.

NoSleep

Panbaams

Quote from: Mister Six on January 07, 2020, 02:14:46 PM
No Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner seems a bit odd.

Maybe it wouldn't translate to something very recognisable on a stamp.

As for GTA ... if you were to pick a screenshot from one of the GTA games, would you pick a screenshot of a character, or a car? Neither does the game justice. (Perhaps.)

purlieu

Four Tomb Raiders seems a bit much in itself, but given that Chronicles is by far the worst of the five based on the original game engine, and was only knocked out to fill the gap while Angel of Darkness was being made, it seems utterly bizarre. The third is far from the most loved, too.

QDRPHNC

Bazooka

Quote from: purlieu on January 07, 2020, 03:35:00 PM
Four Tomb Raiders seems a bit much in itself, but given that Chronicles is by far the worst of the five based on the original game engine, and was only knocked out to fill the gap while Angel of Darkness was being made, it seems utterly bizarre. The third is far from the most loved, too.

If you go on Royal Mails actually site there are a few more, but again no TR2 is odd. https://shop.royalmail.com/special-stamp-issues/video-games

Zetetic

One game developed in Scotland, and one developed in California.

Zetetic

Rumours at Victoria Embankment that the Dizzy one was a joke that no-one caught in time.