Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:27:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

12 of the UK's most famous and influential games... ON STAMPS

Started by Beagle 2, January 07, 2020, 10:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetetic

The Dizzy stamp makes me feel more ashamed than Brexit does.

Lemming

Elite, Populous, Worms and Lemmings take their rightful places. Four Tomb Raider games is genuinely four naan levels of insane though, especially Chronicles which is shit. Imagine getting a Chronicles stamp.

I can't stand GTA but it definitely deserves a place as a significant British-made game.

beanheadmcginty

Famous Mortimer

I'm glad they're doing Elite, I keep meaning to get an Elite t-shirt but all the designs online are wank. I spent so many hours on that game.

peanutbutter

Who on earth calls Tomb Raider III that?

Also... Chronicles? Were they just deliberately not picking back to back sequels or something?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

PlanktonSideburns

H-O-W-L

Quote from: NoSleep on January 07, 2020, 03:04:08 PM
Undercover cop. In the US.

Aye, and Lara fucks around in the Middle East, so surely that should also disqualify her?

NoSleep

So TR is centred around a Brit (collecting things abroad to presumably bring back from her travels in the time-honoured tradition that controversially filled places like the British Museum with artefacts from around the world), whereas the protagonist in Driver is an American in the US; not hard to see a difference.

H-O-W-L

Yet more than two of the Tomb Raiders featured were not developed by British developers...

NoSleep

That's another issue, if they have mistakenly used those games in the representations (have they?)

Three of the games were developed by Core Design the original British company. I guess they added the latest to show the Brit-originated franchise still had legs.

Quote"This collection celebrates a selection of the great British video games that have helped define both the national and global development scene over decades," said Jo Twist, chief executive of UKIE. "Video games are a key part of our cultural footprint."

H-O-W-L

Doesn't still have legs though really speaking. If they had a clue they'd understand that TR2013 is basically a new series that uses pre-existing names in order to resurrect a dead IP that Squenix threw their hoopla ring over when they bought out Eidos.

Really I'm just sort of fucked off that they snubbed literally dozens of other British series (and better representing British companies) to wank off Square Enix, a multi-national borderline evil media giant, for kicking a dead series up the arse with a completely disconnected developer team that did the series nothing but a disservice in my eyes.

NoSleep

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 08, 2020, 11:28:37 AM
Doesn't still have legs though really speaking.

Neither does Tim Henman but that's the way things roll in this country.

H-O-W-L

Wonder if there's legitimately some sort of agenda behind the Tomb Raider inclusion. I must sound fucking mental but it makes actually no sense for me for Tomb Raider to have so many features, with all of them being legitimate vanity shots, and then almost everything else is old-age home computing stuff. There have been a lot of British-made games since, and even the ones they included like Worms or Dizzy they used their earliest, hokiest-looking installments. 

Even the new Elite: Dangerous was actually made here in Blighty so I'm not sure what's going on. What about stuff like Codemasters' other ventures? What about the incredibly ambitious adventure game stuff we made in the 90s? Gremlin Graphics stuff? Where is it all?

H-O-W-L

Also, including Sensible Soccer but not Cannon Fodder is a fucking crime. I suppose the fact Cannon Fodder actually had a genuinely gut-wrenching point about the futility of war while also being a rolicking good time made it an exclusion for these obviously humorless cunts.

peanutbutter

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 08, 2020, 11:34:03 AM
Wonder if there's legitimately some sort of agenda behind the Tomb Raider inclusion. I must sound fucking mental but it makes actually no sense for me for Tomb Raider to have so many features, with all of them being legitimate vanity shots, and then almost everything else is old-age home computing stuff. There have been a lot of British-made games since, and even the ones they included like Worms or Dizzy they used their earliest, hokiest-looking installments. 

Even the new Elite: Dangerous was actually made here in Blighty so I'm not sure what's going on. What about upstart Bossa Studios? What about stuff like Codemasters' other ventures? What about the incredibly ambitious adventure game stuff we made in the 90s? Gremlin Graphics stuff? Where is it all?
I assume a lot of Codemasters stuff wasn't allowed due to additional licensing issues? Can't put a Subaru Impreza on the stamp

A lot of it is probably political, GTA stamp would result in some negative writeup somewhere, a Burnout stamp would require a car crash to be clearly Burnout... Then beyond that maybe there's an issue with the UK not having that many recognisable characters who are either (a) extremely recognisable or (b) so totally dead that it wouldn't seem lame to include them like Dizzy.

MojoJojo

Quote from: H-O-W-L on January 08, 2020, 11:35:40 AM
Also, including Sensible Soccer but not Cannon Fodder is a fucking crime. I suppose the fact Cannon Fodder actually had a genuinely gut-wrenching point about the futility of war while also being a rolicking good time made it an exclusion for these obviously humorless cunts.

There was a fair bit of controversy about Cannon Fodder at the time due to it's use of a poppy.

madhair60

MojoJojo

Bazooka

Quote from: madhair60 on January 08, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
their stamps who cares.

I guess I'll go and fish out that love letter I sent you you from the post box, with a coat hanger.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: madhair60 on January 08, 2020, 01:00:05 PM
their stamps who cares.
A lot of people in this thread, apparently.

I'd have maybe lobbied for a Jeff Minter game. Imagine "Attack Of The Mutant Camels" on a stamp.

imitationleather

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 08, 2020, 02:34:34 PM
I'd have maybe lobbied for a Jeff Minter game. Imagine "Attack Of The Mutant Camels" on a stamp.

Isn't there a level in that where you get attacked by giant spliffs?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NoSleep on January 08, 2020, 03:20:12 PM
Isn't there a level in that where you get attacked by giant spliffs?
If there is, I was too terrible to get to it. I ought to give them a go again.

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 08, 2020, 05:03:15 PM
If there is, I was too terrible to get to it. I ought to give them a go again.

I've just worked out that it was Revenge of the Mutant Camels that featured the spliffs.

idunnosomename

Um Grand Theft Auto? Any Rare/Ultimate? Tomb Raider was always shit.

idunnosomename

God micro machines. I didnt realise codemasters were british. That was rock. I think the n64 version made me ill it was so hard.

Edit: shit course they were. Forgot, more like

H-O-W-L

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 08, 2020, 12:29:06 PM
There was a fair bit of controversy about Cannon Fodder at the time due to it's use of a poppy.

By fuckwits who didn't understand that Cannon Fodder is exactly in line with what the imagery of the poppy originally represented.

"And on a more serious note: don't try playing this at home, kids, because war is not a game; war, as Cannon Fodder demonstrates in its own quirky little way, is a senseless waste of human resources and lives. We hope that you never have to find out the hard way."

Last line of the manual.

Dr Trouser

Frak! and Chuckie Egg seem notable omissions. Still at least elite is there.