Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:37:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Are you thinking whilst we're being racist?'

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, April 10, 2005, 07:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we have limits on immigration?

No, of course not.
34 (34%)
I don't know
14 (14%)
Yes.
52 (52%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Voting closed: April 10, 2005, 07:39:05 PM

hands cold, liver warm

Quote from: "Timmay"It says on the news that Charles Kennedy's wife has been taken to hospital. They said it's not known if she's in labour.

ho ho ho

lets hope the child isn't born a blue baby

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: "Timmay"It says on the news that Charles Kennedy's wife has been taken to hospital. They said it's not known if she's in labour.

I expect she'll be voting Lib Dems...

Ho ho!

Borboski

So what did we decide? Are immigrants racist or what?

Dusty Gozongas

Some of them.*

*(not scientific fact &etc.)

chand

Quote from: "bill hicks"Under this sytem the 1951 convention applies unless the prospective refugee comes from a listed nation state, is stateless (i.e unrecognised nation states and travellers), holds non-nation state documents (disputed territory like Darfor, Kashmir, Checnya), or has a passport/documents issued by the Soviet Union or Yugoslavia.

If you are designated a Visa National you cannot travel to the UK without a visa. This creates a vicious circle since you can't get a visa without a long delay in these countries and you won't be able to claim asylum once you get here. The Embassy won't give visa's to asylum seekers and economic migrants so the individual has to apply for a tourist visa.

Yeah, there's a lot of politics involved too. For example, my girlfriend is from Croatia and needs a visa to come here. Croatia is now a fairly prosperous and peaceful country contending for EU membership, however they've been trying to negotiate their way out of the UK-imposed visa restriction. The UK has told them there's no way unless they hand over a general wanted for war crimes by the name of Ante Gotovina, whom the Croatian government claim to not know the whereabouts of (they believe he's in France, he holds a French passport and is hated by many in Croatia so he'd have less places to hide). This is the same stumbling block stopping them from accessing the EU. In my girl's case it's not so bad, although visas can be a pain in the arse to get; they're pretty much up to the discretion of whoever ends up in front of you when you go to the Embassy. The first time she tried to get a six-month visit visa there was no real hassle, the second time I had to call the Embassy in Croatia, fax them photocopies of my passport and a invitation letter telling them exactly where we would be, and she has to prove when she applies for a visa that she has enough money in her bank to pay for her stay here and cover the cost of the flights, on one occasion she ended up borrowing money to have in her account so she could travel here which she then gave back because she was only coming to stay in my house and doesn't need hundreds of pounds for a ten-day stay.

God only knows how difficult it would be in other countries.

The other problem with refugees coming here 'legally' is that they often have no idea how to go about it. A lot of genuine refugees have to sneak here because they don't have passports. Someone being persecuted for being in opposition to a tyrannical regime is hardly gonna be able to get a passport from that regime to leave the country.

Dusty Gozongas

A personal observation here.  Not fuelled by newspapers or owt.  Even though this isn't at the heart of this thread, it might be worth mentioning that some employers are taking legal immigrants on, rather than the locally availabe skilled labour.

For lower wages.

Legally and above board.

Oh, it's true.

It's interesting to watch how this is going to work out, because as it relentlessly creeps forward you get to see people feeling threatened :-)

It coud be you... bwahahahah....

Tom Tortoise

Quotesome employers are taking legal immigrants on, rather than the locally availabe skilled labour.

For lower wages.

Which employers? I mean at the end of the day, the minimum wage applies to all (ok, depending on age) unless they're breaking the law by paying them less. Illegal employers paying legal immigrants...

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "Tom Tortoise"
Quotesome employers are taking legal immigrants on, rather than the locally availabe skilled labour.

For lower wages.

Which employers? I mean at the end of the day, the minimum wage applies to all (ok, depending on age) unless they're breaking the law by paying them less. Illegal employers paying legal immigrants...

I'm thinking specifically of the local steel fabrication firm who are starting to employ eastern europeans for a forthcoming contract.  My brother in law feels a right twat now he knows the two new gaffers he picked up at the airport recently will be overseeing blokes working on close to minimum wage.  The existing workforce really do feel threatened by the prospect of cheap labour.

I know this can be added to the 'hearsay' bin but in this instance it's a worried brother in law who told me the tale.

Worst of all though, I'm being slightly off-topic in a thread that deserved to sink.