Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films that unexpectedly FUCKING GO FOR IT

Started by madhair60, January 08, 2020, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Sin Agog on January 08, 2020, 06:19:11 PM
Need to rewatch Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky.  Not a gore fiend or anything, but my memory of that film is it's so fucking more in every possible way.
It's so bonkers that the final fight almost feels like a step down from the insanity that went on before.

madhair60

idunnosomename

Quote from: Kryton on January 08, 2020, 05:17:55 PM
Braindead by Peter Jackson is fucking mental. Still probably the goriest film I've ever seen.
it also goes really fucking weird with the giant mother puppet. Still, ambition in those special effects huh mustve helped him get the LotR job

Mister Six

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 08, 2020, 05:26:35 PM
On the subject of vampires (and possibly the same director) I've heard that the last Twilight film, of all things, climaxes with an amazingly OTT battle, with people getting graphically ripped apart and whatnot.

Yeah, that's the only one I've seen, while on a small-plane flight. It was hilarious - heads popping off like Pez dispensers left, right and centre. I don't recall there being any blood, though - just noggins rocketing through the air as werewolves and vampires go apeshit on each other. Vampire necks must be spring-loaded.

(Then it turns out it was all a dream, sort of, which is a fucking cop-out, but whatevs.)

druss

Quote from: greenman on January 08, 2020, 06:03:17 PM
Most obviously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TazlEr6pIMk
Just watched this and assumed it was some youtuber doing a batshit take on a scene in the film. But this was really in the film? Fantastic.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 08, 2020, 05:41:08 PM
Crank 2, obviously. It's like they looked at the first film and thought "well yeah, that was impressively batshit, but this time, lets really fucking go for it."
The (possibly apocryphal) story I've seen is that they didn't want to make a sequel. When the studio asked for one, they decided to write the most insane and offensive script they could, thinking that it would never get the green light, only for the studio to give it the thumbs up.

Kryton

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 08, 2020, 09:24:43 PM
The (possibly apocryphal) story I've seen is that they didn't want to make a sequel. When the studio asked for one, they decided to write the most insane and offensive script they could, thinking that it would never get the green light, only for the studio to give it the thumbs up.

That's great to know.

Fire in the Sky is the movie that most traumatized me as a child. Mostly a somewhat eerie but fairly straightforward procedural, and then out of nowhere near the end the most terrifying scenes in cinema history."Most terrifying" perhaps open to debate.

Also, it should be mentioned that, particularly for when it was made, The Exorcist fucking GOES FOR IT.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 08, 2020, 07:21:33 PM
I saw Cabin in the Woods in the cinema having read as little as possible and was utterly overjoyed when towards the end they decided to break loose and play with all the fucking toys.

Yeah, this is the one I was going to mention. Definitely not what I was expecting from a film like that.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 09, 2020, 12:27:29 AM
Fire in the Sky is the movie that most traumatized me as a child. Mostly a somewhat eerie but fairly straightforward procedural, and then out of nowhere near the end the most terrifying scenes in cinema history."Most terrifying" perhaps open to debate.

Yes, I went on an alien movie binge recently and was pleasantly surprised by that sequence. Easily my favorite depiction of alien goings-on, that bit.

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 08, 2020, 07:21:33 PM
I saw Cabin in the Woods in the cinema having read as little as possible and was utterly overjoyed when towards the end they decided to break loose and play with all the fucking toys.

The bit when the lift goes 'ding'. Brilliant.

dissolute ocelot

Without wishing to give away any spoilers, Sorry To Bother You really ups the ante from the quirky slacker-comedy it starts out as.

Sebastian Cobb

Rambo, especially from his tear-up in the police station onwards.

magval

Don't recall ever being as thrilled by a movie as by the last reel of Police Story when Jackie Chan kicks the fuck out of a shopping mall.

Sebastian Cobb

Bill and Ted's bogus journey. Bumping off Bill and Ted in the first few minutes.

dissolute ocelot

I remember the first time (or first several times) watching Terminator, when Arnie trashes the police station, loudly going "fuck" as it suddenly shifts from suspenseful techno-noir to all out mental futuristic destroy-a-thon.

Gulftastic

Quote from: magval on January 09, 2020, 01:10:31 PM
Don't recall ever being as thrilled by a movie as by the last reel of Police Story when Jackie Chan kicks the fuck out of a shopping mall.

Yes. It's the longest bunch of mental set pieces I've ever seen. Non stop excitement.

oy vey

Texas Chainsaw - for many the initial attack is when it switches on. For me it's the hook scene shortly after and I'm thinking this ain't a rom-com.

Not so unexpected these days, since it's the first thing you ever hear about it (and here I am, perpetuating that spoilery cycle), but the Japanese film Audition sure does take a turn halfway through.

Mister Six

That's the most useless spoiler text ever.

Kryton

Big trouble in little China deserves mention.

Blumf

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 09, 2020, 06:23:43 PM
but the Japanese film Audition sure does take a turn halfway through.

What you talking about? It's just a nice romantic fil... OH MY GOD!

Quote from: Mister Six on January 09, 2020, 06:29:27 PM
That's the most useless spoiler text ever.
Yes, but I thought I should make a half arsed effort at the very least.

Phil_A

Evil Dead II. It's a reprise of the first first film for about five minutes, then goes absolutely mental. I remember sitting there absolutely gobsmacked thinking WHAT IS THIS WHAT IS HAPPEN.

The original Straw Dogs, if you've not seen it before or heard what happens.

beanheadmcginty

That bit of sudden carnage in Piccadilly Circus towards the end of American Werewolf in London.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 09, 2020, 06:23:43 PM
Not so unexpected these days, since it's the first thing you ever hear about it (and here I am, perpetuating that spoilery cycle), but the Japanese film Audition sure does take a turn halfway through.

Nor was it ever, at any point, by anyone.

SteK

Hot Fuzz?

Saw it first at the cinema, it laboured along, quite funny but no wow factor. Then the wow factor happened!