Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Thing (1982) discussion.

Started by Kryton, January 09, 2020, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

In my eyes one of the purest horror movies out there. Mainly as it challenges what it means to be human for better or worse.
Isolation, paranoia, a creepy soundtrack. Excellent sound and visual effects. Great cast. Memorable dialogue and only let down by a slightly weaker third act.
Slated on release but it became a cult classic.

Thoughts? Discussion?

bgmnts

Puts the shits up my mum something mental due to the amazing special effects.

I absolutely love it, not my favourite John Carpenter film but definitely his best. The sense of dread and tension and paranoia it induces is something else.

Bazooka

It's flawless horror, well the Windows dummy being devoured is a little ropey,but a first in cinema history.

Kryton

For me the best moment is just after they burn the half-transformed guy in the snow with the MASSIVE hand and the speech that follows. Basically any number of this slowly dwindling group is possibly an alien. And that's just after the horrors in the kennel. The doubt, the creeping anxiety.

The panning shot that portrays their faces is great and that soundtrack... Ominous.

chveik

might watch this someday. it's going on the list, along with Jaws (sharks film) and Robocop (robotic police offer film).

Cerys

I haven't seen this in years.  Time for a rewatch, I think.  And soon.

bgmnts

Quote from: Kryton on January 09, 2020, 01:04:04 AM
that soundtrack... Ominous.

Fuck! Choosing between Carpenter soundtracks is a tough choice but The Thing may nail it. But it could be Big Trouble in Little China. But it COULD be The Thing.

chveik

its Ennio Morricone this time isn't it?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Deeper into Movies has been imitated by Picture Box.

greenman

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 09, 2020, 01:31:42 AM
Deeper into Movies has been imitated by Picture Box.

This is the Netflix version that spreads the story over 57 hours.

Kryton

Quote from: bgmnts on January 09, 2020, 01:20:31 AM
Fuck! Choosing between Carpenter soundtracks is a tough choice but The Thing may nail it. But it could be Big Trouble in Little China. But it COULD be The Thing.

Big Trouble in Little China's soundtrack is way more varied and has some amazing synths. It should win in some ways. But the Thing soundtrack just captures the essence of the film throughout. Bleak introspective horror.

Quote from: chveik on January 09, 2020, 01:13:34 AM
Jaws (sharks film)

The one with multiple sharks (plural) is the sequel, Jawses.

Kryton

Quote from: Cerys on January 09, 2020, 01:16:05 AM
I haven't seen this in years.  Time for a rewatch, I think.  And soon.

Get on it. I watch it twice a year. It isn't a cinematic masterpiece, but there's something very heavy about the nature of humanity and how we perceive ourselves that I often dwell on. For a gory horror film it's fairly unique in its challenges.

I'm fascinated by the creature itself. Is it a parasite? What memories does it retain? Is each smaller piece of it considered an equal or less than the sum of its parts? Does a host know they're infected? At what point does the humanity shut off to be replaced by an alien sentience or consciousness?
Will a host fight back? What was its original form?

Attila

Probably my favourite film, ever. And since I live in the northern hemisphere, when I watch it every year during the first goddamned week of winter, it is, of course, as close to 21st December as possible. (Dunno if they still do, but it's a ritual at one of the US bases, possibly McMurdo, to screen it every 21st June).

I've been a Kurt Russell fan since I was a kiddie and he was making Disney films, and I've been keen on this film since my brother handed me the recorded-off-HBO VHS around Thanksgiving time (maybe 1983ish) and said, 'Watch this, and don't feel sorry for the dog.'

Deanjam

Tells you everything you need to know about the Razzies.

Anyway, one of my favourite films. Incredible effects that almost killed Rob Bottin (all his own work except the Thing dog puppet that was Stan Winston), but the film is so much more. Brilliantly directed, written, acted, photography, score, editing etc etc. All A+. I also love it because I'm a big Agatha Christie fan and this is essentially a classic Who-done-it? (or maybe a who-is-it?).

BlodwynPig

druss

Quote from: Kryton on January 09, 2020, 02:39:09 AM
It isn't a cinematic masterpiece
Disagree, particularly the first watch. Can't recall ever feeling so tense when watching a film. I've deliberately only watched it once since because I want to forget as much as I can about it. Saw it last year again, will probably wait a year or two until the next watch.

phantom_power

I would say it very much was a cinematic masterpiece. A perfect example of its form and genre. Every aspect of it (script, direction, acting, effects) at the top of their game

phes

Quote from: chveik on January 09, 2020, 01:13:34 AM
might watch this someday. it's going on the list, along with Jaws (sharks film) and Robocop (robotic police offer film).

Wait, what.

You're like that guy at work who hasn't tried tea or coffee.

"But do you like hot drinks?"

"Course..."

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on January 09, 2020, 01:20:31 AM

Assault on Precinct 13 for me,fuck I don't know John is a God.

The Culture Bunker

Horror really isn't my genre (because I'm a big scaredy cat), but I have watched the Thing. Only once. It was great, but I'm not sure I want to go through it again - mind, my wife is even worse than me: I'm completely confident she would throw up on viewing it and then not sleep for a month before divorcing me.

John Carpenter and Kurt Russell really was a brilliant combinition for a few years.

This was on at the local cheap cinema just before Christmas and is excellent on the big screen.

Chollis

an absolute banger. nothing puts the shits up me like stop motion

maett

As a teenage moron it was a 10 and it still is, as am I.

Jerzy Bondov

Kurt's hair is really fluffy in this. It's nice that he's able to keep up such a good hair care regimen in an Antarctic research station.

Attila

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 09, 2020, 10:38:28 AM
Kurt's hair is really fluffy in this. It's nice that he's able to keep up such a good hair care regimen in an Antarctic research station.

Well, like the man said, 'Blair's been busy.'

alan nagsworth

A friend of mine once sent me a screenshot of the hot wire going into the dish of Windows' blood with the caption "The only time Windows didn't have a virus" which has always stuck with me as one of my favourite visual gags.

phantom_power

Quote from: Chollis on January 09, 2020, 10:07:58 AM
an absolute banger. nothing puts the shits up me like stop motion

Is there much stop motion in it? Any?

Deanjam

The final Blair/Thing is stop motion.