Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Thing (1982) discussion.

Started by Kryton, January 09, 2020, 12:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2020, 01:14:20 AM
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3602436/universal-blumhouse-developing-new-version-thing-will-adapt-long-lost-original-novel/

Meh.  It's Blumhouse, so it'll probably be a PG-13 jumpscare fest for the teens who love Insidious, Unfriended and Happy Death Day.  Also, I fully expect CGI creatures to rival the ones seen in the recent It movies (and indeed the 2011 The Thing prequel).  Nothing to get excited about, as far as I'm concerned.

Psmith

Quote from: Bazooka on January 10, 2020, 02:11:21 PM
Anyone else have love for The Thing From Another World? One of my favourite B movies.

It's just us then.
The SFX can't compete with the later one but there's well written dialogue  and it's got a lot of suspense.

Kryton

Quote from: Psmith on January 28, 2020, 05:01:06 AM
It's just us then.
The SFX can't compete with the later one but there's well written dialogue  and it's got a lot of suspense.

I watched it for the first time the other day and was quite impressed. Lots of good dialogue and a nice atmosphere. One thing stood out was how close that actress nearly got burned to death when they were throwing kerosene around in the scene when they burn the monster. It looked like they were just flinging buckets of burning liquid around and she was just hiding behind a matress and the actors didn't seem to have much safety gear on. Mental.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: bgmnts on January 28, 2020, 01:14:20 AM
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3602436/universal-blumhouse-developing-new-version-thing-will-adapt-long-lost-original-novel/

Great let's add a bunch more pointless context to the story, that always makes horror films better doesn't it? Ruining the mystery and having everything explained. Here, you know this unknown force from an unknown planet, lads? How can we make that more scary? Oh yeah, we can explain everything for a pigshit-thick audience who can't just fucking accept something for what it is without a hundred goddamn prequels or remakes or alternate timelines. Leave it buried in the fucking ice for fucks sake.

Famous Mortimer

"Campbell's full vision" = "something even he thought he couldn't publish"

That's the same John W Campbell who was too racist even for the 1950s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Campbell#Slavery,_race,_and_segregation

And who was annoyed the government stopped the sale of thalidomide - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Campbell#Medicine_and_health

(also, we've got him to thank for the initial popularity of dianetics)

Jim Bob

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 28, 2020, 06:18:09 PM
Great let's add a bunch more pointless context to the story, that always makes horror films better doesn't it? Ruining the mystery and having everything explained. Here, you know this unknown force from an unknown planet, lads? How can we make that more scary? Oh yeah, we can explain everything for a pigshit-thick audience who can't just fucking accept something for what it is without a hundred goddamn prequels or remakes or alternate timelines. Leave it buried in the fucking ice for fucks sake.

Bang. Fucking. On.

Certain people getting excited for this are the very same people who'll be raging against the final product.  What do they expect?!

alan nagsworth

I can%u2019t believe this depiction of unspeakable terror didn%u2019t align with the vague and indescribable sense of mystery and allure I had in my mind!

This is why adaptations of/attempts at Lovecraftian horror rarely work on the big screen. That %u201Ccosmic dread%u201D thing, the sense of something so vast and unfathomable that it quite literally breaks the human mind, is fucking great on paper, but in films you get this crap like %u201CMandy%u201D or %u201CColor Out of Space%u201D that just completely flop (in my opinion; %u201CMandy%u201D was total crap).

Edit what the FUCK has happened to this post? I can't be bollocksed to edit that back

oy vey

Looks like your post is thing-ing out.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 30, 2020, 02:01:41 PM
I can't believe this depiction of unspeakable terror didn't align with the vague and indescribable sense of mystery and allure I had in my mind!

This is why adaptations of/attempts at Lovecraftian horror rarely work on the big screen. That "cosmic dread" thing, the sense of something so vast and unfathomable that it quite literally breaks the human mind, is fucking great on paper, but in films you get this crap like "Mandy" or "Color Out of Space" that just completely flop (in my opinion; "Mandy" was total crap).

Edit what the FUCK has happened to this post? I can't be bollocksed to edit that back

Apostrophes and quotation marks replaced by ASCII mark-up or something. JUST LIKE AN ALIEN BLOKE WOULD URGH

monkfromhavana

We've got to burn him, it's our only chance.

alan nagsworth

monkfromhavana