Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:55:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry and Meghan giving up royal duties [split topic]

Started by imitationleather, January 08, 2020, 06:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

Also it's just been announced that Harry and Meghan are giving up Royal duties and intend to become financially self-sufficient.

Got to respect that. Well done. You just talked yourselves out of the guillotine.

Hopefully this make people wonder why the rest of them are not doing this.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on January 08, 2020, 06:55:56 PM
Also it's just been announced that Harry and Meghan are giving up Royal duties and intend to become financially self-sufficient.

Got to respect that. Well done. You just talked yourselves out of the guillotine.

What jobs will they be taking up?

Icehaven

Quote from: imitationleather on January 08, 2020, 06:55:56 PM

No massive surprise they'll be "dividing their time between the UK and North America" either, that's always been the plan from the get-go, although it'll be less 'dividing' and more 'living over there and popping back to the UK when we absolutely have to'. Not a bad idea really, the British monarchy has far more fans in the States than it does here, even proportionally. They could start an American spinoff branch that ends up even more successful than the original, like The Office.

Gulftastic

'Financially self sufficient' = 'living off the interest generated by the immense wealth I've already been gifted merely by being born into the right family'?

PlanktonSideburns

Fair play to them. Looks great being rich in America

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 08, 2020, 08:15:04 PM
'Financially self sufficient' = 'living off the interest generated by the immense wealth I've already been gifted merely by being born into the right family'?

Aye, what a fucking joke

Round of applause for the socialite nothings

idunnosomename

Quote from: Blumf on January 08, 2020, 04:56:10 PM
They're all driving mbad!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-51039925
Family tradition.

Knew someone who was regularly passed, at speed, by Chuck on the M40 (closely followed by his security). So I guess Zara and her ma are too far out of the loop for lenience on these matters.
doing 90+ on a motorway isnt like on a dual carriageway though. As long as its not a fucking smart motorway with cameras i will hit 90 occasionally but im not dumb enough to do it on an A road

I guess she had so many points because she wouldnt take speed awareness courses? Its not like anyone would recognise her in the travel tavern conference room. Idle cunt

Thomas

They were probably waiting for Prince Philip to die before announcing their part in the destruction of his inbred lineage, but his death has proven a physical impossibility. He'll have to live with it. Forever.

BlodwynPig

Imagine the day they settle into their luxurious Mar a Lago complex Iran nukes Florida

Mister Six

Urinal Cake

It's all relative. But I think the real plan was that Meghan wants to continue her career.

If I was CIA I'd kill Kate and Will. Keep the union intact.

Butchers Blind

"work to become financially independent"- Interesting choice of wording.

Icehaven

I suspect their definition of financially independent is quite different to most people's. Financially independent in the same way anyone who comes from extreme wealth, privilege and opportunity is.

momatt

Sounds about right.  I get the impression that they think this is all very brave and clever.
I think they're making a good choice, I'd certainly want to avoid all that Royal bullshit if I were them. But it's not as if they're going to be starting from the bottom and stacking shelves any time soon.
The cunts.

Spoon of Ploff

Does this mean that lovely fella Andrew is now two steps closer to being King?

ajsmith2

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 09, 2020, 07:49:40 AM
Does this mean that lovely fella Andrew is now two steps closer to being King?

Isn't this part of a new PR plan to present a new slimmed down Royal family for the 2020s consisting only of the direct lineage of first borns and their partners? (hence sidelining the undesirable Andrew): Harry and Meghan as necessary collateral casualties of title in the real overall battle to wipe the stain of the Duke of York off the brand. The new publicity photos they issued for 2020 consisting of only Queen and 'three future kings' have been interpreted as being part of this attempted reboot.

touchingcloth

Yes, maybe they've consolidated the existing royal family into one easy to manage and wholly white one.

I've heard that they plan to become financially self sufficient by selling the baby one to science. The science people are going to whizz it up in a blender, less for research and more for the sheer entertainment of the thing.

Alberon

According to what I read in the Washington Post they get just 5% of their income from taxing the serfs which they plan to give up. But they'll keep the 95% handout from Charlie's estate so they'll still be sponging off us.

Spoon of Ploff

Any bets on just how much shorter the Queen will be at the end of the year?

Panbaams

Icehaven

Quote from: some news website...many are asking why the Queen was not consulted about the announcement.

Maybe because part of the reason they're doing it in the first place is because of how absurd it is that a man in his 30s with a wife and child should have to run every move he makes past his Granny first.

idunnosomename

I looked at twitter and its all just third hand responses to this. I dont even know what the fuck is going on. I hate this cpuntry. Cup of tea

Blue Jam

Fair play, Bants and Syoots, the CoD must be gutted that The Cool Prince and The Woke Princess won't be around to make her ghastly family look vaguely modern and credible anymore as per the PR plan.

I'd be more impressed if Bants abdicated and they gave up Frogmore Cottage and gave a load of their cash to charity though. Still, it beats Wills being a "gentleman farmer" and doing fuck-all on our dime.

Also The Bants and Syoots Foundation or whatever will apparently be a global rather than British thing, with more funding planned for projects in Africa and projects aiming to further women's empowerment- damn you Syoots, I can't help liking you for pissing off the gammons. Bwahahahaha.

jobotic

Mister Six

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 09, 2020, 12:48:55 AM
"work to become financially independent"- Interesting choice of wording.

Oh yes, "work to" is deliberately noncommittal, isn't it? Looks like it might mean "gain employment to" but most likely means "strive to".

[the-coup-guillotine.mp3]

Blue Jam

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on January 09, 2020, 09:44:13 AM
Any bets on just how much shorter the Queen will be at the end of the year?

I wonder if she ever met Rolf Harris's tiny wife when he was painting her portrait. I would like to see a photo them together, just so I can judge which one of them is tinier.

up_the_hampipe

Quite astonishing how Harry and Meghan have become Yaaaas Kween Icons We Stan on twitter.

Attila

I'm out here in the USA (at least through to this afternoon when I fly back to Airstrip One), and the local news here in north FL, at least, has been going mental with glee over the news. Lots of fluff pieces on where they will live in the US, how exciting it is that the American princess is coming home and all that.