Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:49:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Medical Police - new Childrens Hospital spin-off on Netflix

Started by Moribunderast, January 10, 2020, 11:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kidsick5000

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: letsgobrian on January 17, 2020, 12:21:56 AM
There's another Adult Swim pilot that Corddry & Stern were involved with called The Hindenburg Explodes! that I've not been able to track down

I've seen it. It was offered, along with three other Adult Swim pilots, for consideration three years ago. It had a killer cast (Lauren Lapkus, Danny Pudi, Kevin McDonald, Leslie Bibb) but the concept was quite weird (it was something about a time loop), and you weren't that eager to know what would happen next.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on January 17, 2020, 03:15:12 PM
I've seen it. It was offered, along with three other Adult Swim pilots, for consideration three years ago. It had a killer cast (Lauren Lapkus, Danny Pudi, Kevin McDonald, Leslie Bibb) but the concept was quite weird (it was something about a time loop), and you weren't that eager to know what would happen next.

Ah, I really liked it, and it's up on the Adult Swim site - you need a VPN (like Windscribe, which gives you 10 gig free a month) to watch it though - http://www.adultswim.com/videos/specials/hindenburg-explodes-pilot/

Edit: If anyone can't be arsed with the VPN shite I do have it on an external hard drive, and so can upload it somewhere.

Quote from: letsgobrian on January 17, 2020, 12:21:56 AM
Newsreaders and Filthy Preppy Teen$ were the other two shows in the Childrens Hospital/NTSF:SD:SVU universe. I've not seen Filthy Preppy Teen$, but enjoyed both series of Newsreaders.

There was a Adult Swim pilot/short of Michael Showalter's Nils Vildervaan character from Childrens Hospital, now called Giles Vanderhoot.

Similarly there's Swords, Knives, Very Sharp Objects and Cutlery featuring Huebel's Dragon Shumway character from NTSF:SD:SVU.

There's another Adult Swim pilot that Corddry & Stern were involved with called The Hindenburg Explodes! that I've not been able to track down.

Stern and Wain did Wainy Days for MyDamnChannel prior to Childrens Hospital. It now lives on Youtube.

Just wanted to thank you for such a great post by the way, I wasn't aware of the two pilot spin-off's, and really appreciate the links too.

Mister Six

Finished this up now. Oddly enough, I thought the more the other Childrens Hospital characters got involved, the less funny it was (Blake in the Chinese prison being the exception). The final episode in particular felt curiously flat and stagey after the zippy first half of the season. Not sure why though.

I still really enjoyed the whole thing, though, and hope that there'll be enough demand for a second season - and maybe more from the CH gang and related crews. Would love more NTSF.

Mobius

Just finished NTSF. Really loved it. The England episode was a lot of fun.

Anyone think Karen Gillam was miscast or just didn't fit the show?

Mister Six

She wasn't terrible but she didn't quite find the right tone, I think. Daisy was a fun character though.

kidsick5000

I hope it gets a second season and gets to have a behind the scenes episode.
I'd like to see where Just Falcon is at these days

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mister Six on January 21, 2020, 05:38:18 AM
Finished this up now. Oddly enough, I thought the more the other Childrens Hospital characters got involved, the less funny it was (Blake in the Chinese prison being the exception). The final episode in particular felt curiously flat and stagey after the zippy first half of the season. Not sure why though.

I still really enjoyed the whole thing, though, and hope that there'll be enough demand for a second season - and maybe more from the CH gang and related crews. Would love more NTSF.

I didn't find that personally, the desk auction bit made me laugh a huge amount, and the final episode was suitably daft and silly throughout and I loved it a lot in general.

Quote from: Mister Six on January 21, 2020, 05:38:18 AM
Would love more NTSF.

It's possible as it was never officially cancelled, just put on indefinite hiatus by Paul Scheer as he felt he'd run out of ideas at the time, and I really hope it comes back in some form or another one day too.

Thursday

PeasOnSticks

Really enjoyed Medical Police. Childrens Hospital has somehow passed me by - looking forward to getting stuck into that.

Lots of big laughs throughout the series - Erinn Hayes is great, but the whole cast does a cracking job. This kind of comedy, done as well as this, is such a treat: just pure laughs and silliness, never too-clever and not trying too hard, but reaching inspired heights at times. With the kind of gag-rate it has, it's inevitable that not eveything hits, but there's another zinger along in a minute if things seem like they're sagging. Have been on a bit of a downer of late and this show picked me up.

Would like to get into more David Wain stuff - have seen 'They Came Together,' which I thought was great, and 'Wet Hot American Summer,' which didn't quite hit the same heights but was enjoyable enough. Any recommendations as to what to seek out next?

Mobius

veletision

Childrens is the best of all these shows i think. Highest hit rate.

Wainy Days is fantastic too with a lot of the same people.

Thursday

Timing of the show is a bit weird now with the coronavirus isn't it. Unless the whole virus is just some dank viral marketing.

I recommended this to some people, they're going to think I'm sick in the head.

Vitalstatistix

This was such a treat! An absolute joy from start to finish. So many gags, so many ideas. I couldn't help but binge and probably missed lots of little things.

I'd second 'They Came Together' for similar humour. It's become one of my all time favourite comedy films. Criminally misunderstood and underrated on release. I'm still furious.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on February 25, 2020, 07:41:06 PM
This was such a treat! An absolute joy from start to finish. So many gags, so many ideas. I couldn't help but binge and probably missed lots of little things.

I'd second 'They Came Together' for similar humour. It's become one of my all time favourite comedy films. Criminally misunderstood and underrated on release. I'm still furious.
I really didn't like "They Came Together". You could tell from how hard they sold every joke that they weren't sure of the material, either. IMHO and all that.

Mister Six

Quote from: PeasOnSticks on February 24, 2020, 10:47:26 PM
Would like to get into more David Wain stuff - have seen 'They Came Together,' which I thought was great, and 'Wet Hot American Summer,' which didn't quite hit the same heights but was enjoyable enough. Any recommendations as to what to seek out next?

The two obvious recommendations once you're done with Childrens Hospital are two of its other spin-offs, Newsreaders and NTSF:SD:SUV:: - though I'd say Newsreaders is the weaker of the two.

Wain also did a sketch film called The Ten, based on the Ten Commandments. I've not seen it yet, but one of the sketches revolves around a pre-Childrens Hospital Dr Glenn Richie (the dude in Medical Police who's working at a retirement home).

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mister Six on February 25, 2020, 10:06:30 PM
The two obvious recommendations once you're done with Childrens Hospital are two of its other spin-offs, Newsreaders and NTSF:SD:SUV:: - though I'd say Newsreaders is the weaker of the two.

Wain also did a sketch film called The Ten, based on the Ten Commandments. I've not seen it yet, but one of the sketches revolves around a pre-Childrens Hospital Dr Glenn Richie (the dude in Medical Police who's working at a retirement home).

Yeah, I really like The Ten, there's some great stuff in there. You should also watch Stella, a one season sitcom which is fucking amazing. Track down the Stella shorts if you can as well.

Mister Six

Moribunderast

Can only echo the recommendations for Stella, Burning Love and They Came Together. All, in my opinion, of the same quality as Childrens Hospital and probably a bit better than Medical Police. Burning Love might be my favourite of all those shows - such a great cast and Michael Ian Black is just phenomenal in his role as host.

There's probably too many recommendations already for someone relatively new to David Wain's oeuvre but I would also extend into the other work of Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter (Wain's co-writers and co-performers in Stella) who share sensibilities with Wain's work. Michael and Michael Have Issues was a very fun show and Showalter's film, The Baxter definitely has some moments.

NTSF:SD:SUV is the only show out of all the ones mentioned that I never really got on with. It's weird, I like Paul Scheer but I always sense when I hear him on a podcast with other talented comedians or watch something that he's written that he's just a bit off the pace of the people he works with. A good comedian whose talent is slightly diminished in my eyes by the fact he's normally performing alongside really great ones.

mikeyg27

I just wanted to bump this thread to say that I'm finally getting around to watching this and the CDC informercial tells people they can avoid the virus if they 'stay alert'. HOW DID THEY KNOW???