Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Superdry might be in trouble:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51060580

Not really a surprise, it must have been about five years now since a Superdry t-shirt and a pair of cargo shorts was the British man's summer uniform.

Joules may be fucked too. Got a nice coat from there which is actually properly waterproof but looking a bit worn now, I'd better replace it while I still can.

BlodwynPig

Jerzy Bondov

Maybe if they didn't batter every inch of fuck out of your ear drums with indescribably shit music they something something something

Captain Z

Only the Supercigs side of the brand has been making profit for a couple of years now.

Alberon

Local HMV has 'closing down sale' signs up, but it might be an attempt to badger the landlords into giving them a better deal.

Surprised the chain still going to be honest.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Captain Z on January 10, 2020, 01:41:59 PM
Only the Supercigs side of the brand has been making profit for a couple of years now.

Are Supercigs still going? I would have thought that tobacco advertising rules would have at least forced a name change.

idunnosomename

Thorntons
Clintons
LUSH
Boots
Build-a-Bear Workshop
Ann Summers

Blue Jam

Nah, Lush'll survive, proper vegan innit. If any smelly shops close down I reckon it'll be The Body Shop.

Sebastian Cobb

Icehaven

Quote from: Alberon on January 10, 2020, 01:50:28 PM
Local HMV has 'closing down sale' signs up, but it might be an attempt to badger the landlords into giving them a better deal.

Biggest one evah opened here in Birmingham just last year. Predict it may end up being the last one evah too by roughly halfway through 2020.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Alberon on January 10, 2020, 01:50:28 PM

Recently announced more stores closing at the end of the month Z including the Bryers Road fopp that was set for the chop last time and got saved at the last minute.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2020, 01:37:25 PM
I thought super dry was a new brand?

Maybe you weren't in the UK during The Great Summer of Superdry:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,28916.0.html

There was a time when you could walk into any pub and count at least eight of the bastards being worn.

The Culture Bunker

HMV would certainly by my choice to go under next, presumably dragging Fopp (a shop I enjoy spending time in - the Manchester one was reopened a few months back) down with them, sadly.

Icehaven

About 10 years ago I bought a 2nd hand Superdry shirt off ebay for 50p because I wanted some of the patches for something else, but when it turned up I decided I quite liked it so kept it intact instead, wore it about twice and it's been in my wardrobe ever since. It's probably worth, oooh, 30p now?

Blue Jam

My predictions:

La Senza
The Body Shop
Thornton's
Patisserie Valerie
House of Fraser
Monsoon/Accessorize

chveik

Greggs, after people having found human meat in the vegan sausage rolls

Alberon

GAME is another one that is surprising to have made it into the 2020s. It can't have long left.

bgmnts

Quote from: Alberon on January 10, 2020, 02:16:08 PM
GAME is another one that is surprising to have made it into the 2020s. It can't have long left.

I had a dream about GAME last night, it was all futuristic and had a big cash machine thing at the entrance. I reckon it'll be here a long while yet.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 10, 2020, 01:52:36 PM
Thorntons
Clintons
LUSH
Boots
Build-a-Bear Workshop
Ann Summers

Boots have been in trouble for ages, but they and W H Smith's keep limping along.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on January 10, 2020, 02:20:07 PM
I had a dream about GAME last night, it was all futuristic and had a big cash machine thing at the entrance. I reckon it'll be here a long while yet.
Didn't it nearly go under a few years ago? I say "a few", it may well have been 2006 or so. The second hand game market is presumably shrinking (as people download their games more) so they might struggle again if they can't pick up extra revenue elsewhere.

Danger Man

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on January 10, 2020, 02:25:24 PM
Boots have been in trouble for ages, but they and W H Smith's keep limping along.

Airports keep them going.

Debenhams. Why?

the

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PMSuperdry might be in trouble:

Ah, Superdry, the shop for 'casual clothes Friday'.

(Bit saucy of me to take the piss as I'm a shambling cunt when it comes to clothes, but it's always struck me as casual clothing for normies who don't know what to wear when they're not in the office.)

Also someone pointed out to me that the voguish aesthetic kanji they plaster everywhere is a load of tossed-off nonsense (Englanji?).

Still, American Apparel would welcome it so they can mop up the residual Helvetica identity (yawn) on the high street.

bgmnts

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 10, 2020, 02:25:50 PM
Didn't it nearly go under a few years ago? I say "a few", it may well have been 2006 or so. The second hand game market is presumably shrinking (as people download their games more) so they might struggle again if they can't pick up extra revenue elsewhere.

I think they'll mostly just sell hardware, peripheral stuff, some random merch and digital content like codes. But yeah second hand game market has been grim for surely almost a decade but they are still existing so fair play to them.

Blumf

Wasn't there a big kerfuffle between SuperDry's current owners and it's founder a few years back? Think the founder bloke was trying to take back ownership by force of will alone (and some public bitching to the shareholders)

Maybe he was right all along.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: bgmnts on January 10, 2020, 02:31:25 PM
I think they'll mostly just sell hardware, peripheral stuff, some random merch and digital content like codes. But yeah second hand game market has been grim for surely almost a decade but they are still existing so fair play to them.
The one in Manchester has a gaming chair in the window, and I did think that's the sort of thing they should be focusing on, as people are surely more likely to buy furniture in a shop than online (so you can see if you can fit your arse in it, for instance).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 10, 2020, 01:55:57 PM
Recently announced more stores closing at the end of the month Z including the Bryers Road fopp that was set for the chop last time and got saved at the last minute.

Byers Road. There used to be a great grubby vinyl archive across the road and down a grubby lane didn't there. Wasn't there the last time I looked.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 10, 2020, 02:25:50 PM

CEX is always packed, but when you go in GAME it's only really the big new hits CoD etc flying off the shelves.

Captain Z

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2020, 01:52:07 PM
Are Supercigs still going? I would have thought that tobacco advertising rules would have at least forced a name change.

The attempted rebrand as "Lovely Fags" was a disaster.

Jerzy Bondov

Some branches of Game now have an 'esports arena'. Seems totally shit to me but I'm an old dull man who doesn't like multiplayer games.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on January 10, 2020, 02:34:20 PM
Byers Road. There used to be a great grubby vinyl archive across the road and down a grubby lane didn't there. Wasn't there the last time I looked.

Byres Road. Didn't realise the grubby one was gone but there's a pop-up one selling suspiciously cheap vinyl on Byres Road at the moment. Got Kathryn Joseph and Breeders records at the weekend - two for a tenner.