Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 13, 2020, 12:50:06 PM
I really hope Flybe survives. I rely on their flight from Cardiff to Belfast.

A lot of the islands and remote parts of Scotland depend on them too.

Cuellar

Always had a soft spot for Beales because of their amazing Christmas window displays when I was a kid. Don't think I've ever actually bought anything in there.

jobotic

Sadly our only Vape Bar has shut down. Can't see why - a bar that doesn't sell drinks but that you can sit around smoking in is very appealing. Think it may have been a front.

Blumf

Not even the most profitable branch in the Beales.

gib

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2020, 02:49:37 PM
Are there laws against selling vaping stuff online/sending by post? Genuinely no idea why you can't just do it all online, subscribe to a vape of the month club.

Soon the only shops left other than supermarkets are going to be ones selling you lunch (specifically Greggs, Subway, and Pret) or selling really large niche products like giant stuffed marmots and personalised mylar balloons.

Yes you can get all the vaping stuff online (although Amazon doesn't sell nicotine any more) and unsurprisingly it's cheaper to do it that way.

idunnosomename

isnt there some iffiness on vape by royal mail? i've looked at their restricted stuff and it allows a lot of weird stuff through (like live animals) and alcohol (prohibited over 70% abv) but i dont see where nicotine in a canister would come under

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/royal-mail-prohibited-and-restricted-items-nov-23-2018---23410530_updated%20April%2019.pdf

buttgammon

I don't know much about vapes but if there's anything pressurised in them or there are lithium batteries, they may be funny about them.

gib

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 13, 2020, 10:36:04 PM
isnt there some iffiness on vape by royal mail? i've looked at their restricted stuff and it allows a lot of weird stuff through (like live animals) and alcohol (prohibited over 70% abv) but i dont see where nicotine in a canister would come under

https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default/files/royal-mail-prohibited-and-restricted-items-nov-23-2018---23410530_updated%20April%2019.pdf

Hasn't been a problem for me.

idunnosomename

i very rarely get asked what's in my packages at the post office so i cant see how you get caught out sending 80% proof moonshine or coral

Alberon

Apparently the Reading HMV will live to see another day. The store is not now closing, probably because it managed to get a better deal out of the landlords.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Alberon on January 16, 2020, 06:50:42 PM
Apparently the Reading HMV will live to see another day. The store is not now closing, probably because it managed to get a better deal out of the landlords.

same re: Braehead, Edinburgh Ocean Terminal, Sheffield Meadowhall, Grimsby, and the Bullring in Brum.

my local (Worcester), Merry Hill, and Cribbs Causeway still up for the chop

Pingers

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2020, 07:25:48 PM
Nah, Holland and Barratt have about two million stores in Edinburgh alone and they seem pretty busy. I think they're all about the protein shakes these days.

Why would I spend money on a protein shake when I could just masturbate into a cup?

Sebastian Cobb

God I hate Merry Hill. It was shit to begin with but it only got worse when they binned the monorail.

Blumf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 16, 2020, 11:30:25 PM
God I hate Merry Hill. It was shit to begin with but it only got worse when they binned the monorail.

Increasing number of empty shops there. The fake store fronts the plaster up over them is just plain sad.

Dewt

It's not politically correct of me to say this but I think she's a real bitch.

Ferris

Haven't been in probably 20 years, but any mention of the place still brings on The Fear

Blumf

Fans of two-wheeled riding will be saddened by the new that Norton Motorcycles has gone tits up. Seems to be some dodgy goings on with pensions...

https://www.visordown.com/news/general/details-emerge-over-norton-collapse-amid-brewing-pensions-scandal
QuoteNorton Motorcycles was this week confirmed to have slipped into administration with reports claiming the firm is embroiled in a serious pensions scandal that cheated many out of their funds.

Blue Jam

Blumf

Not the most massive story, and not really a surprise, but Bristol Cars finally going is still sad news:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-britishcars/bristol-cars-officially-goes-into-liquidation/41973

On a much larger scale, debt vampires BrightHouse on the edge:

https://www.retailgazette.co.uk/blog/2020/03/2400-jobs-risk-brighthouse-nears-collapse/
QuoteThe FCA had called for the retailer to repay nearly 250,000 customers for failing to act as a "responsible lender".
These claims are costing BrightHouse a reported £1 million each month.

ToneLa

I've got no idea how it got that name. It's all kinds of wrong. It's pretty flat for one

I suppose calling it Dismal, Grey Flat Shithole would be a bit rich

Sebastian Cobb

It was surrounded by Brierley Hill. The flats round there were a favourite for pirates because you could see most of Birmingham.

Blumf

They're planning to gussy up the place, really take it from it's worn 80s look into the futuristic 90s:

https://intu.co.uk/merryhill/news/intu-begins-multi-million-pound-intu-merry-hill-makeover

Ooh, that's nice! All the big names - Primark, Sports Direct. No Betfred?

Butchers Blind

Blumf

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on March 05, 2020, 10:59:38 AM
No Betfred?

Round the back, by the bus station.

What they don't show in that picture is what's across the road:

I quiet like those pilings, nice Brutalist aesthetic. Reckon that should have been the style they went with for the whole mall.

Ferris

English people can't do malls properly.

The listless, spiritless, catatonic ennui is a North American speciality.

(Rhyme not intentional)

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Blumf on March 05, 2020, 10:56:00 AM
They're planning to gussy up the place, really take it from it's worn 80s look into the futuristic 90s:

https://intu.co.uk/merryhill/news/intu-begins-multi-million-pound-intu-merry-hill-makeover

Ha. Given that intu are on the verge, not sure who they think's going to lend them the money to do that. Have they done anything with the Broadmarsh in Nottingham yet?

Dewt

It looks like it will be pretty cheap to 3D print.

Icehaven

It's a source of pride to me that I've lived in Birmingham for 16 years (and Coventry before that) and I've NEVER been to Merry Hill. I nearly did once a few years ago until I realised that despite it only being a few miles from where I lived the bus took over an hour to get there because it took a ridiculously circuitous route, so I sacked it off and haven't been tempted since. I've known a few people who worked there and they were all very pale.