Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:15:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

I used to like going to The Burger Joint in Fishponds, mainly becasue of their super ordering system:

I'd love to see a place do fry-ups like this. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on June 30, 2020, 11:58:14 AM
Do Wimpy still do lime milkshakes? I've always been curious about those. Nae Wimpy anywhere near me though, guess I will never have that taste experience.

Not even joking I'm tempted to borrow a car and have an excursion to the one in motherwell one this covid bollocks has all calmed down. If they reopen.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Crunch on June 30, 2020, 05:57:21 PM
I used to like going to The Burger Joint in Fishponds, mainly becasue of their super ordering system:

There was one of those near work. We went for a few people's birthdays. Poor service as they were still opening up and never any booze because the guy with the personal bar licence wasn't in

Also on a personal level I felt overwhelmed by choice. If I go to the doctor I don't expect to have to walk them through every step of my treatment.

Blue Jam

May try and score some b@rgain shirts then.

Wrexham used to have a Harvey's. It became a Wetherspoons years ago. A sign of things to come.

BlodwynPig

Toddler-tier restaurant. Do they still call beefburgers sliders and coleslaw slaw?

Sebastian Cobb

Putting my pedant hat on slaw apparently makes cabbage optiona... ARSED MATE.

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on June 30, 2020, 09:37:57 PM
call...coleslaw slaw?
I won't. If I am eating in some such establishment I will ask for coleslaw. Similarly I ask for chips and not fries in Burger King. I know it makes me a twat, but it makes me happy. Listen to Sheryl Crow at this point.

buttgammon

Quote from: kalowski on June 30, 2020, 09:46:30 PM
I won't. If I am eating in some such establishment I will ask for coleslaw. Similarly I ask for chips and not fries in Burger King. I know it makes me a twat, but it makes me happy. Listen to Sheryl Crow at this point.

Same here - also, macaroni and cheese (not that I ever eat it). This is Ireland for fuck's sake.

Sebastian Cobb

I ask for a black coffee in places where that's an Americano.

Gurke and Hare

Maggie's in Lewisham has a create your own breakfast option, with a huge list of things on the menu (fairly sure there are more things on the actual menu than on that page) and you can choose as many of them as you like. Although Lewisham is sad at the moment, because Maggie sadly died at the end of last week - she's been running the place for years and was a much loved local personality. Going for a Maggie's breakfast was (well, is, I suspect the cafe will still carry on) one of the things I was looking forward to after lockdown.

Captain Crunch

I heard about that, terrible shame.  Thinking about it, wasn't there also a place on Queen's Road that would do you a build-your-own breakfast? 

Upper Crust getting toasted now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53230682

imitationleather

I remember once I was stood next to an Upper Crust while waiting for a train and I saw a chekky mouse running inbetween the baguettes in the glass counter.

I guess that kind of thing is more common than we'd like to think in train stations but blllleeeeuuuurrrrgh.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Danger Man on June 30, 2020, 11:33:01 AM
They've torn the Broadmarsh down and are in the middle of rebuilding it and now Intu have collapsed.

Hard times.   (And the Wimpey closed down before the redevelopment)

RIP Fopp. I wonder if Rob's Records will survive?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Captain Crunch on July 01, 2020, 09:01:41 AM
Upper Crust getting toasted now:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53230682

Another one I shan't mourn, I don't quite know how they manage to make baguettes with the consistency of concrete but the two occasions I've eaten one (which was a good decade apart) the bread almost broke a tooth.

Sebastian Cobb

Mostly airports and train stations? So they're price gouging pricks?

Dex Sawash

Absolute best way to order food. Should have a perforated order number strip to tear off it there is no table service. I had one of those order pads in my car for the burger place when I still took the flesh of the swine. Never could keep up with the stubby pencil though.

buttgammon

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on July 01, 2020, 10:48:57 AM
Another one I shan't mourn, I don't quite know how they manage to make baguettes with the consistency of concrete but the two occasions I've eaten one (which was a good decade apart) the bread almost broke a tooth.

I got the worst, most overpriced sausage sandwich ever from their Manchester Airport branch, so good riddance.

steveh

Upper Crust's owner, SSP, are basically the privatised British Rail Traveller's Fare, target of many a comedian back in the 80s. The food now is an improvement on what Traveller's Fare used to offer, though I did quite like their microwaved bacon and tomato rolls when I was a student.

They've nicked that off the NHS. Half expecting to see that foul turkey mince on there.

Icehaven

Quote from: buttgammon on July 01, 2020, 12:41:39 PM
I got the worst, most overpriced sausage sandwich ever from their Manchester Airport branch, so good riddance.

I got a tuna mayo baguette from the one in Birmingham New st. station years ago and there was literally a teaspoon's worth of filling smeared inside across a horrible hard, dense baguette. You'd see more tuna mayo in a vegan's fridge. I took it back, and I never take things back.

dr beat

I spent the summer of 1997 working in the Liverpool Lime Street branch of Upper Crust.  If you think their butties were bad I shouldn't tell you what the prep staff did with the mayo...

I was down to do a shift the Sunday after Princess Diana had died the night before.  I hadn't been looking forward to it as Liverpool FC were due to play at home to Newcastle that day.  We weren't anticipating any trouble, but I'd worked when Everton played West Ham the week before and the shop was packed with both home and away fans making big orders for much of the day, and we anticipated the same. 

But then Diana died, the game was postponed, so we got a well dossy day.  Thanks Di. Thdi.

Blue Jam

bgmnts

Please tell me the executives and shareholders are alright though. For the love of god, please!

Blue Jam

I'm from Wrexham. Airbus pulling out of Flintshire is very bad news indeed for my hometown.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 01, 2020, 06:56:58 PM
Fuuuuuuck, this is looking bleak:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53247787

It should be criminal for Arcadia to cut jobs when it has made the person at the top so much money.

BlodwynPig

Fr.Bigley

Philip green is the devil incarnate.

Quote from: bgmnts on July 01, 2020, 06:58:12 PM
Please tell me the executives and shareholders are alright though. For the love of god, please!

Fingers crossed, please go out and clap to show your support

Are brave boys ❤

Tony Tony Tony