Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:18:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

It's always the mid-price chain eateries that struggle at times like this.

There'll be nothing left on The North Bridge in Edinburgh soon.

imitationleather

Pret a Mangers in Newcastle have closed their doors for good apparently. That's proper end of the world shit. :O

Blue Jam

If Greggs closes we will truly have reached The End Of Days.

Blue Jam

As I said elsewhere, I did a bit of clothes shopping on Tuesday and the shops were pretty much deserted. No Black Friday effect even when people are returning to werk and would normally be buying new clothes and there are loads of sales on. Things are looking very bleak.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on July 02, 2020, 06:25:40 PM
Pret a Mangers in Newcastle have closed their doors for good apparently. That's proper end of the world shit. :O

you are kidding? fucking hell

edit: just the Grainger market one and Metro Centre. Started using the one on Northumberland Street when I used to go into work at weekends before anything else was open.

NoSleep

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 02, 2020, 06:36:40 PM
As I said elsewhere, I did a bit of clothes shopping on Tuesday and the shops were pretty much deserted. No Black Friday effect even when people are returning to werk and would normally be buying new clothes and there are loads of sales on. Things are looking very bleak.

Went into Crawley yesterday and that was likewise deserted.

Fr.Bigley

Blumf

Wondered around Merry Hill today, fairly busy.

Shops with queues: Greggs, Primark, H&M, Ann Summers.

Zetetic

Central Cardiff feels fuller than I remember it being pre-COVID. (Pleasant hanging out in the castle though.)

Haven't checked to see if Google and Apple creepily agree.

peanutbutter

I reckon Primark are gonna be just fine, seriously tempted to buy some stock right now. Has already bumped back a bit but can't see how Primark can ever go lower than a 2 month period where they're not allowed sell anything.

Alberon

Future shopping experiences will just be Primark, Greggs and vast coffee shops big enough to hold everyone socially distancing.

Quote from: Blumf on July 03, 2020, 09:16:45 PM

Nice order of shops visited.  Start off with a pasty and end up with a vibrator.   

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on July 04, 2020, 07:54:35 PM
Nice order of shops visited.  Start off with a pasty and end up with a vibrator.

But pray you don't get them mixed up once home

Blue Jam

Quote from: imitationleather on July 02, 2020, 06:25:40 PM

Pret a Fermer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53304869

During the first few weeks of lockdown the reduced sections of supermarkets seemed to be full of sandwiches, salads and other things people would normally be buying on their lunch breaks. With so many people either not working or working from home it's not surprising that places like Pret and Eat are struggling.

idunnosomename

Usually it's the overheads for the first location in a city that are high for pret because of the fresh ingredient delivery. Would've thought if a couple go theyd all go

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 06, 2020, 10:19:34 AM
Pret a Fermer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53304869

During the first few weeks of lockdown the reduced sections of supermarkets seemed to be full of sandwiches, salads and other things people would normally be buying on their lunch breaks. With so many people either not working or working from home it's not surprising that places like Pret and Eat are struggling.

The 90s die this day.

Marner and Me

I think pubs that apply the letter of the law for Covid will suffer.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 06, 2020, 10:19:34 AMDuring the first few weeks of lockdown the reduced sections of supermarkets seemed to be full of sandwiches, salads and other things people would normally be buying on their lunch breaks. With so many people either not working or working from home it's not surprising that places like Pret and Eat are struggling.

ALDI near me didn't miss a trick, they filled their sandwich chiller with cans of gin and tonic and individual bottles of beer.

Never touched Pret a Manger since a friend bit into one of their sandwiches and came away with a soiled blue plaster hanging out of his mouth. 

Quote from: Blumf on July 03, 2020, 09:16:45 PM

I had to go to Middlesbrough for work today.  Not super busy but Primark (or Preemark as they call it) had a really long queue and a sort of cloud of people hovering near the queue debating whether to join in or not. 

And yes, a queue outside Ann Summers. 

imitationleather

Eight John Lewis stores FUCKED FOREVER.

Blumf

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on July 09, 2020, 11:04:07 AM
Eight John Lewis stores FUCKED FOREVER.

shiiit just got real

QuoteThe shops to close are: two full-size department stores in Birmingham and Watford; four At Home shops in Croydon, Newbury, Swindon and Tamworth; and two travel hub shops at Heathrow and St Pancras.

ah...

imitationleather

Two travel hub shops FUCKED FOREVER

Tony Tony Tony

The St Pancras store closing will be a bit of a bind. It was a handy little place to pop in on the way to or from work. I'm sure the employees will console themselves with the fact that they no longer have to endure the incessant tuneless plonking of the Elton John piano right outside the door.

As St Pancras is sometimes described as a shopping centre with a train station attached I am sure the unit will be replaced.

Sad for the workers in the shop as they were always pleasant and helpful. Hope they find something else soon.

pigamus

Blimey, that's Birmingham fucked then

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: pigamus on July 09, 2020, 02:12:23 PM
Blimey, that's Birmingham fucked then

The Birmingham John Lewis store only opened a few years ago, didn't it?

I'm sure it'll make a nice Lazer Tag or Crazy Golf arena though.

pigamus

Five years this September. I think Debenhams is fucked n'all.

jobotic

There's a one a few doors down from work, got my glasses there. It's a small one and there's a bigger one nearby so that'll be fucked. They're nice in there.

I suspected they'd be fucked after Tesco and Sainsbury's did tie-ups with Vision Express and Specsavers respectively. The olds loved those little ex-Dolland & Aitchison branches, but not as much as they like spending all day milling about the supermarket, getting in everyone's fucking way.

You also had (in my area, at least) the clearly mental situation of having (between the shops and concessions) eight Boots opticians in a five mile radius.