Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:17:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pseudopath

I always thought Superdry was a Japanese brand (I guess I was conflating it with Asahi Super Dry beer). It's only recently that I realised it actually hails from the couturial mecca that is Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

Zetetic

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2020, 03:10:29 PM
I don't know about Boots though, people will always need toothpaste, shampoo and medication, surely?
The first two they'll get from supermarkets.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 10, 2020, 06:56:25 PM
I always thought Superdry was a Japanese brand (I guess I was conflating it with Asahi Super Dry beer). It's only recently that I realised it actually hails from the couturial mecca that is Cheltenham, Gloucestershire.

Mind blown, makes sense. Beige

gib

I can see Holland & Barrett disappearing soon. There was a time when that was the only place you could get a vegetarian pasty for lunch, but seeing as you can get better vegan food almost everywhere now i don't see what the point of H&B is. And all those vitamins and supplements that take up half the shop are surely cheaper online.

Sebastian Cobb

I've been meaning to take a day trip out to the Wimpy near Motherwell for a while.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gib on January 10, 2020, 07:03:18 PM
I can see Holland & Barrett disappearing soon. There was a time when that was the only place you could get a vegetarian pasty for lunch, but seeing as you can get better vegan food almost everywhere now i don't see what the point of H&B is. And all those vitamins and supplements that take up half the shop are surely cheaper online.

I didn't even know Holland and Barratt did food outside tracker bar type things.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dr Trouser on January 10, 2020, 06:16:01 PM
Wasn't that the shop specifically for fat people or was that Evans?

That's Evans. Unlike Evans, Principles has no USP.

Blue Jam

Nah, Holland and Barratt have about two million stores in Edinburgh alone and they seem pretty busy. I think they're all about the protein shakes these days.

NoSleep

They regularly have half price or two for one offers. With supplements where a pack can last months that means it's easy to shop from sale to sale. They're good for stuff that isn't always found in supermarkets, like molasses, organic soya milk and decent tahini, too. And their loyalty cards take pounds off your bill.

Sebastian Cobb

Molasses is just black treacle, don't believe the hype.

NoSleep

Dewt

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: NoSleep on January 10, 2020, 07:33:58 PM
What hype?
Big Molasses has gotten to you, obvs

Build A Bear Workshop has its worldwide headquarters just down the road from me. Well, it's a miserable looking industrial estate quite near me, but still.

At some point in the future, perhaps after nuclear annihilation has taken most of the population, we'll elect a left-wing government and they'll stop online places from treating their staff like slaves, tipping the balance back towards actual bricks and mortar shops. Or they'll drop the rent on places and more independent, locally owned places will move in. Or maybe we'll all die from coyote attacks. Who knows.

NoSleep

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 10, 2020, 07:42:00 PM
Big Molasses has gotten to you, obvs

I realise it's a by-product of the sugar industry. It isn't a regular purchase but better for breadmaking than sugar and nice in hot chocolate. One jar lasts a long time.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 07:39:35 PM
Holland and Barrett sell food?!

Yes- they're great for things like oat bran, coconut flour, spelt flour, raw cocoa nibs and other things which are really handy if you like baking, even if you're not vegan or gluten intolerant. I go there quite a bit as it happens and I'd probably miss my local H&B  if it wasn't there.

peanutbutter

I'd say H&B is doing fine, they could probably close some stores in the name of efficiency but otherwise no big issues. I mean, if I'm actually walking into your store and buying things semi-regularly, I'd imagine they're weathering the assault from online outlets better than most.

House of Fraser looked shockingly dead before Christmas when I walked by so it was my bet for one to go in early January.

Dewt

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2020, 08:00:42 PM
Yes- they're great for things like oat bran, coconut flour, spelt flour, raw cocoa nibs and other things which are really handy if you like baking, even if you're not vegan or gluten intolerant. I go there quite a bit as it happens and I'd probably miss my local H&B  if it wasn't there.
Oh right, that kind of stuff I would expect. I don't know why but I read something above that made me think you could walk out of there munching on a panini.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 08:09:13 PM
Oh right, that kind of stuff I would expect. I don't know why but I read something above that made me think you could walk out of there munching on a panini.
They do vegan pasties and suchlike, I occasionally had one of those and a flapjack-looking thing from H&B for lunch.

Dewt

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dewt on January 10, 2020, 08:09:13 PM

Do they have them in the US?

Dewt

I don't know, I only go to four places

But presumably not, they'd just have a big fucking building called DRUGS BARN

KennyMonster

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 10, 2020, 07:42:00 PM
Build A Bear Workshop has its worldwide headquarters just down the road from me. Well, it's a miserable looking industrial estate quite near me, but still

Well they aren't going anywhere for sure,

I've heard from other people that this Build-A-Bear Group actually control governments and stuff.

shiftwork2

Thorntons is actually still going?  That was considered posh in 1984.  Now, with my crowns and fillings, the wonderful toffee will have to be remembered from my youth - not risking that shit.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 10, 2020, 06:56:25 PM
i genuinely thought it was chinese. i. ugrhgh. argh

it uses kanji. i am a racist.

Pseudopath

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 10, 2020, 11:57:30 PM
it uses kanji. i am a racist.

Badly translated kanji at that.

I never knew that Superdry was formed from the same company as Cult Clothing (with all of the original CC branches becoming Superdry stores when the brand took off). Always wondered what happened to them.

George White

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 10, 2020, 05:42:59 PM
There is still a Wimpy in Peterborough
There is an unlicenced Wimpy in Fermoy in Cork, which recently had a makeover to make it look MORE like a Wimpy.

the

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 11, 2020, 12:03:48 AMBadly translated kanji at that.

Hello!

Quote from: the on January 10, 2020, 02:29:51 PMAlso someone pointed out to me that the voguish aesthetic kanji they plaster everywhere is a load of tossed-off nonsense (Englanji?).

It's basically that late-90s thing of mistaking other international scripts as being a signifier of bold graphic design, when all they've probably done is flicked through a graphic design book, found something international and thought "that looks good, let's do that". (The Designer's Republic used to use kanji prominently, whether hey bothered to use proper translations I don't know but it probably gave Superdry the idea along with a load of other t-shirt designers around that time.)

Blumf

Quote from: the on January 11, 2020, 01:05:07 AM
(The Designer's Republic used to use kanji prominently, whether hey bothered to use proper translations I don't know but it probably gave Superdry the idea along with a load of other t-shirt designers around that time.)

I think tDR used a lot of made up glyphs that looked Kanji-ish, but weren't, although there was some real stuff in there too.

Surprised that Hangul doesn't get more love from the graphic designers of this world.

the

Quote from: Blumf on January 11, 2020, 01:31:52 AMI think tDR used a lot of made up glyphs that looked Kanji-ish, but weren't, although there was some real stuff in there too.

Surprised that Hangul doesn't get more love from the graphic designers of this world.

I tend to use designs employing foreign scripts on t-shirts these days, 'cos as time goes on I find that wearable slogans and references that are legible to passers-by feel increasingly naff (those're just my sensibilities right now). But when I do they're always from something in-situ and not confected in order to look cool, as that too is naffballs. If it's graphically exciting but also alien and genuine, that's the sweet spot IMO.