Author Topic: British High Street Death List 2020  (Read 36806 times)

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
Re: British High Street Death List 2020
« Reply #690 on: October 09, 2020, 07:31:24 PM »
Ooh I would expect so. She used to be at Next and they definitely did...

Sebastian Cobb

• bad opinion haver
« Reply #691 on: October 09, 2020, 07:38:10 PM »
I've not been to a Next since I got my suit for sixth form. The arse became see-through before I was out of the lower sixth, from having an over shoulder bag and presumably sitting on walls occasionally.

17 years ago then.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #692 on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:56 PM »
I have just bought two really nice Scottish lambswool scarves from charity shops. £4.99 and £4.50 respectively. I may be a tiny bit responsible for EWM going under.

« Reply #693 on: October 11, 2020, 02:51:52 PM »
According to the Guardian, Wetherspoons is a bit fucked. Seems largely guesswork, but lots of other pub chains (e.g. Greene King) are closing pubs (permanently) and sacking people, and Wetherspoons doesn't even have a spare E on the end. I did hear that Spoons at Edinburgh Airport is closing, and there must be a lot of others they're thinking hard about.

« Reply #694 on: October 11, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »
Wetherspoons is primarily a property company, much like the Royal family. It'll take more than an economic downturn to hurt them.
The other big pubcos deserve to fucking die though. Good riddance.

Danger Man

• The original CABLAD
« Reply #695 on: October 11, 2020, 11:47:01 PM »
Wetherspoons needs as many poor people as possible to sell £1 beers to. That's why it supports Brexit.

The future is Wetherspoons and Brewdog in every town and city. You are either a £5 beer person or a £1 beer person and that's it.

« Reply #696 on: October 11, 2020, 11:54:10 PM »
Anybody who self identifies as a £5 pint person is clearly a cunt.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #697 on: October 12, 2020, 08:02:15 AM »
Wetherspoons needs as many poor people as possible to sell £1 beers to. That's why it supports Brexit.

The future is Wetherspoons and Brewdog in every town and city. You are either a £5 beer person or a £1 beer person and that's it.

The homogenisation of cities arrives at its end-game. identikit high-streets and identikit nightlife. Should of course be resisted. Happily pay 5 quid for a pint in Quirky Harry's Odd Bar rather than a brewdog.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #698 on: October 12, 2020, 10:21:29 AM »
Revolution in trouble too, according to that Guardian article. I remember when they were vodka bars selling about three billion different varieties, plus a load of different flavours of vodka shots. I was surprised that they survived into this era of craft beer and artisanal gin.

The one in Embra was alright, it did surprisingly decent steaks. Then they stopped doing steaks. Got no reason to go back now.

« Reply #699 on: October 12, 2020, 11:25:00 AM »
We once had a catered party at a branch of (Vodka) Revolution. Around 20 of us.

At no point did they ask us to pay for anything. The food, the drinks - nobody at any point asked for money. It wasn't my "do", but I was one of the last there, the organiser long-gone. It was free.

I assume someone got a bollocking and no mistake.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #700 on: October 12, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
^Hahahahaha... maybe it was someone's last day.

One pubco here bought a thriving craft beer/pulled pork type place and reopened it as a tequila bar which closed after six months. That was a Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares level of daft. Also while gin may be the fashionable spirit right now I do have to wonder how long that will last and how long the twee flowery places serving artisanal gin in goldfish bowl glasses have got left.

If I was opening a bar it'd be a generic tourist trap whisky place on the Royal Mile. No chance of those places going out of fashion up here.

Blue Jam

• Subpar Wolf
« Reply #701 on: October 15, 2020, 11:56:18 AM »
Marstons effed:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54551477

My local one is currently closed due to the Scotch circuit breaker but it's a hugely popular pub and it just got a new landlord so I'm confident that it will be safe.

« Reply #702 on: October 19, 2020, 02:49:41 AM »
Graun today:
A record number of shops disappeared from high streets across the country in the first half of 2020 as the Covid-19 lockdowns hammered the retail sector.

A total of 11,120 chain store outlets closed between January and June, while 5,119 opened. The 6,001 net store closures was a record high and compared with 3,509 in the first half of last year.
During the period, Carphone Warehouse closed all 531 standalone branches, and fashion chains including Oasis, Warehouse, Laura Ashley and Cath Kidston all closed down. Big names including Marks & Spencer, Debenhams and House of Fraseralso closed stores.

BlodwynPig

• The Last Living Member of COVID-20
« Reply #703 on: October 19, 2020, 08:20:08 AM »
Death of capitalism, sadly at the wrong end of the food chain for now.

Tags: