Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:02:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

Quote from: pigamus on November 06, 2020, 07:16:23 AM
I did that last year, and it was a good deal, but the laptop had so little memory on it that it can't update Windows now, so.

Likewise. I ended up upgrading the RAM myself. How they can sell laptops which don't even have the memory to run Windows 10 out the box, I don't know.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 06, 2020, 07:21:06 AM
I got a laptop from BHS once. A Google search told me that's where the model I wanted was the cheapest. I hadn't even known they'd sold laptops until then.

Crap marketing from BHS, crap delivery options from Argos. No wonder they didn't survive.

I was looking for a laptop a few months ago. Apparently, Very (which is best known for clothes but was formerly Littlewoods Direct and so I guess is the 21st century Index catalog) has some of the best deals. These days there are very few shops actually selling cheap laptops aside from the companies' own websites and fucking CurrysPCWorld.

dissolute ocelot

Edinburgh Woollen Mill has been discussed here before but now seems to be kaput. Old people not getting out much. The owners are reportedly battling to keep Peacocks in existence. Not sure how this will affect my plans to do all my Xmas shopping at Dobbies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54841435

Tony Tony Tony

idunnosomename

Greggs' pasties are disgusting. They drizzle them with olive oil before they put them in the oven so they are absolutely sodden with grease.

Sebastian Cobb

Doubt it's olive, given the cost and low smoke point. Refined veg of some type I'd bet.

bgmnts

It'll be a sad day when there is only one Greggs left in eveey town centre and high street.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 14, 2020, 02:00:37 PM
If Greggs goes belly up it will truly signal the end of days...

Greggs to cut 820 jobs amid lockdown sales slump https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54944006   

They are trying to get people to order Greggs delivered to their door. That's true desolation.

Fr.Bigley

Greggs is inferior to Cooplands but better than Pound Bakery.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on November 14, 2020, 03:11:16 PM
Greggs is inferior to Cooplands but better than Pound Bakery.

Shitting on your leg is inferior to shitting on the floor but better than shitting in your mouth.

Fr.Bigley

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 14, 2020, 03:29:42 PM
Shitting on your leg is inferior to shitting on the floor but better than shitting in your mouth.

Not if you're a bloody German mate. Disgusting buggers.

dissolute ocelot

I bet Piers Morgan is sitting on his fetid toilet saying "Ha ha Greggs you sought to defy me with your vegan sausage rolls and now I have my revenge!" before gleefully sucking the phlegm out of a diseased piglet that he himself had infected with GM COVID.

Meanwhile Caffe Nero is also fucked, as with Costa and Starbucks who both announced major programs of closures in the summer. Caffe Nero's business model seemed to involve having about 20 branches inside every airport, so they're probably not doing very well.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 14, 2020, 07:14:31 PM
I bet Piers Morgan is sitting on his fetid toilet saying "Ha ha Greggs you sought to defy me with your vegan sausage rolls and now I have my revenge!" before gleefully sucking the phlegm out of a diseased piglet that he himself had infected with GM COVID.

Meanwhile Caffe Nero is also fucked, as with Costa and Starbucks who both announced major programs of closures in the summer. Caffe Nero's business model seemed to involve having about 20 branches inside every airport, so they're probably not doing very well.

We need to be hiring the Mavis' and the Betty's up and down the land to "Put that Kettle back on and open up your cafs"

Jasha

Another one gone, just be barbers poundshops and Wilkinson's left soon

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55004019

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Jasha on November 19, 2020, 06:31:06 PM

QuoteEdinburgh Woollen Mill (EWM) is owned by businessman Philip Day, who has a £1.14bn fortune, according to the Sunday Times Rich List published in May 2020.

Do we have a Phillip Green situation on our hands where he has just been taking money out of these businesses?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jasha on November 19, 2020, 06:31:06 PM

In Redcar they have 3 pound shops on the Main Street, a Pound Shop Gold megastore and a Two Quid Shop "for a little bit of luxury".

Fucked.

bgmnts

How can you have all these businesses failing and STILL not see that the system of business (few people at the top earning millions for little work and many at the bottom earning fuck all for grafting hard) just does not work at all?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 19, 2020, 06:39:06 PM
Do we have a Phillip Green situation on our hands where he has just been taking money out of these businesses?
The BBC article says Philip Day refused to invest any money in Peacocks or Jaeger, and he did some dodgy deal with Bon Marche, another of his companies, where he let it go into administration and then bought the good bits back (he bought Peacocks out of administration as well). He did a similar deal with another company, DLN Group/Etiquette Formal Hire, which went bankrupt again a year later.

He's also been done for driving without due care and attention and for clearing wildlife off a nature reserve so he could shoot foreign birds. He's a keen shooter. He tried to rig the voting for Miss England when his daughter entered (more detailed Daily Mail story).

Also he had Edinburgh Woollen Mill woolies made by North Korean labour gangs in Mongolia under brutal conditions with some dispute over whether they got paid at all.

Plus he's a tax exile in Dubai. Scum.

Quote from: bgmnts on November 19, 2020, 07:01:08 PM
How can you have all these businesses failing and STILL not see that the system of business (few people at the top earning millions for little work and many at the bottom earning fuck all for grafting hard) just does not work at all?

'Cos it works for the few people at the top.

Norton Canes

Just as the Black Friday orders are going in

Cuellar

Shame Philip Green isn't going to collapse

pigamus

imitationleather

Quote from: pigamus on November 27, 2020, 12:49:25 PM
Maybe he'll do a Maxwell

Traffic kids for Epstein? Might be a bit late for that.

Head Gardener

Pink Gregory

Always wonder what's upset McKenzie Crook there.

Dr Trouser

Bristol Zoo closing. Technically not every high street has a Bristol Zoo but you know.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 27, 2020, 12:00:06 PM
BBC News - Topshop owner Arcadia on brink of collapse
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55099374

I remember reading something about how TK Maxx had overtaken Topshop for sales volume a few months back. I think Topshop had been struggling for a while now, this is one of the less surprising ones.

Someome here mentioned something about Oasis and Warehouse being dated brands and how it's a wonder anyone was still shopping there. Ditto for Topshop, Miss Selfridge and all the other places I used to shop at when I was 16 in the 90's. Some of the other Arcadia group brands are also very dated or just a bit nothingy- who the hell actually shops at Wallis or Principles or Burton ? Who are they even for?

The last time I went into Topshop must have been a few years ago, and I remember it looking like a jumble sale. To think they had Kate Moss designing stuff for them not that long ago. It was apparent something had gone badly wrong for them.

I get my work trousers from Burtons as they have a very reasonable 2 for £30 offer and their slim fit ones fit me better than most shops. Their suits are very good for the money as well. Not arsed about anything else in there unless it's massively reduced as you can get the same or better elsewhere.

pigamus

It's where you go for your court appearance so I've heard