Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:20:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

British High Street Death List 2020

Started by Blue Jam, January 10, 2020, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_MacLaine

I shop exclusively at Baron of Piccadilly

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotewho the hell actually shops at Wallis or Principles

People who have given up. They run into the tens of millions.

Jasha

Hope the bailiffs turn up at his gaff in Monaco

JamesTC

Quote from: Dr Trouser on November 27, 2020, 04:35:59 PM
Bristol Zoo closing. Technically not every high street has a Bristol Zoo but you know.

Where can a giraffe go to get work in this climate?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Trouser on November 27, 2020, 04:35:59 PM
Bristol Zoo closing. Technically not every high street has a Bristol Zoo but you know.

It's moving to South Gloucester...for an hour

Sebastian Cobb

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Norton Canes

Well, Phillip Green may be a cunt, but I've taken what might be my last chance to order a pair of Top Man spray on skinny jeans, because his shop is the only one which makes pairs that fit.

buttgammon

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 27, 2020, 10:54:53 PM
Well, Phillip Green may be a cunt, but I've taken what might be my last chance to order a pair of Top Man spray on skinny jeans, because his shop is the only one which makes pairs that fit.

I've literally got through about six or seven pairs of these. I don't wear them any more but there was a period when I didn't wear any other jeans and had two pairs on the go so I could alternate when one was in the wash.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Shame that the collapse of Arcadia isn't somehow intrinsically linked to Green's wealth or physical health.

QuoteThe former BHS owner — now battling to save his Arcadia empire — claims the media is whipping up the public against him.

Green, 67, who denies the allegations against him, told the BBC: "You lot make them all . . . jealous, that's why.

"It's quite basic. These people writing all this s*** couldn't spell 50 quid. They all get jealous.

"They don't like someone who can write out a cheque and writes one out — people do not like it."

Another guy so obsessed with money and so lacking in curiosity as a person that they couldn't even conceive of reasons other than jealousy behind people's dislike of him.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 28, 2020, 09:10:09 AM
Shame that the collapse of Arcadia isn't somehow intrinsically linked to Green's wealth or physical health.

Another guy so obsessed with money and so lacking in curiosity as a person that they couldn't even conceive of reasons other than jealousy behind people's dislike of him.

His death would be a boon to the planet.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

idunnosomename

Goodbye Philip Green
Though I never knew the old bloke
He had three yachts to float about
And lots of ladies round to grope

Blue Jam

SPG has been told he can't raid the Arcadia pension pot. Oh no, not this time, Greeno:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55089327

Oh actually this just looks like one of our toothless political advisors asking if he could pay his workers pretty please, bit like that time we asked Vodafone if they could pay their tax bill and they said "No" and we were like "Oh alright then, sorry". Looks like there's a loophole where he can just hold onto his yachts and let the taxpayer plug the gap. Grrrrr.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 28, 2020, 09:10:09 AM

No spoilers, but it's a shame the film Greed isn't a documentary.

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

Simon Mayo still dreams of re-creating that old double act magic.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

dissolute ocelot

Retail sales in October 2020 were up 5.8% from 2019 (partly due to people starting their Xmas shopping earlier, they say). Year on year growth in online sales was 60.1%, with food up 99.2%, but online clothing sales up 34.4%. Across all retail sales, fuel and clothing are slightly down with other sectors up. So high street clothing retailers? Sorry guys.

Anecdotally, everyone seems to be flocking to Primark, but otherwise high street Edinburgh on the weekend looked like a Tuesday morning in Kirkcaldy. (I went to a high street coffee chain and used vouchers to get coffee and mince pies, paying £2 for 2 people. There were a couple of other people using the wifi. I did not go in any shops although I stared fondly at Lakeland for a moment.)

Alberon

Deadenhams.

With Arcadia going that's 25,000 jobs lost in under 24 hours.

Merry Christmas!

bgmnts

25,000 jobs gone?

That's like half the annual wage of an executive there I'm sure. Hope they are okay though.

Feel like pure shit just want the executives to be okay 👌

Butchers Blind

Norton Canes

Blue Jam

Quote from: Butchers Blind on December 01, 2020, 12:00:17 PM
Be on the lookout for some bargains.

They'll all be in TK Maxx, along with all the unsold stock from Jaeger, French Connection and Orla Kierly.

By mid-2021 all that will be left will be TK Maxx and Sports Direct. Then when they run out of unsold stock from failed retailers we'll just have Wetherspoons.

Blue Jam

I actually really like TK Maxx and could eulogise about them all day but there is something a bit sad about just how many b@rgains they seem to have had in stock lately. Nice Jaeger cashmere sweater? Cost? Only £40 and 8,000 ruined Christmasses.

thr0b

Aye, TK/TJ Maxx was an altogether better experience when it was mostly production over-runs and factory seconds, rather than bankrupt stock for which the supplier likely received pennies in the pound.

Norton Canes

Can never find a single item of men's clothing in TK Maxxx that doesn't have a logo on the outside so it's a no from me

Icehaven

I don't mind buying clothes but it's always perturbed me how we've been so successfully convinced en masse we need loads of them, and to keep changing them all the time, which is the only reason there is/there were so very many clothes retailers compared to everything else on the high street in the first place. There's only ever been a few big chain brands at a time for most things, e.g. HMV, Virgin Megastore, Tower for music/entertainment, Wilko's for practical house stuff, Waterstones, Smiths or Borders for books etc., Mothercare for kid's stuff, but for clothes there's dozens and dozens, many of them selling very similar looking stuff. It's a wonder it's been sustained for as long as it has.

Blue Jam

Quote from: icehaven on December 01, 2020, 01:48:16 PM
I don't mind buying clothes but it's always perturbed me how we've been so successfully convinced en masse we need loads of them, and to keep changing them all the time, which is the only reason there is/there were so very many clothes retailers compared to everything else on the high street in the first place. It's a wonder it's been sustained for as long as it has.

I think one reason why clothes retailers have done so well for so long is that a lot of people still don't like buying things without trying them on first (myself included). I guess that's not an issue right now though as nowhere will let you try anything on right now.

The fast fashion thing is interesting though, even without Covid I wonder if the tide would have turned, with fast fashion getting something of a bad name and people wanting stuff that's made to last and won't end up in landfill quite as quickly. I've certainly never been a fan of fast fashion and would be glad to see the back of it.