Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fargo season 4 (Chris Rock, Jason Schwartzman, Timothy Olyphant)

Started by up_the_hampipe, January 10, 2020, 02:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Fargo was one of my favourite shows of the 10s, and it's finally back in April. This one is set in Kansas City in the 1950s about two crime families who trade their eldest sons to keep the peace. Here's the pretty funny trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zSHExPsFA

Jim Bob

I'm sure it'll be good but my goodness, is it going to take something exceptional to beat season 3, with David Thewlis' spellbinding performance.

selectivememory

Interesting cast. I've been watching Justified recently (which itself is very patchy, but quite good at times) and it has made me appreciate Timothy Olyphant more, as I was never fully convinced by his performance in Deadwood. So I'm happy to see him pop up in the trailer.

Should be good. Feel like they'll have to go a long way to beat Season 2, though Season 3 did eventually pan out pretty well after a rocky opening few episodes.

wooders1978

Hmmm - it's probably schwartzmans fault but that looks a tad Wes andersonny

I like her off wild rose and beast though - pleased to see she's going places

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It looks more like Miller's Crossing than Fargo.

I'm interested to see how Chris Rock is in it. Aside from one episode of the Wankbeast show, I don't think I've seen him do any relatively serious acting.

phantom_power

What a cast. All the aforementioned and Ben Wishaw as well. And is...is that...Andrew Bird?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Jim Bob on January 10, 2020, 02:50:46 PM
I'm sure it'll be good but my goodness, is it going to take something exceptional to beat season 3, with David Thewlis' spellbinding performance.

Hmm, Thewlis was indeed marvellous but isn't it generally agreed (by myself among others) that series three was the weakest, due to the faint feeling of déjà vu that creeps in? I shouldn't be too harsh, it was very good TV obviously: enjoyable and stuffed with great lines and scenes of course, the cast terrific as always, just not bringing enough new to the table given that the first two series already existed.

First two were magnificent, didn't get on too well with the third. I'll definitely be watching this though.

H-O-W-L

I think Seasons 1 and 2 are fantastic because they work both perfectly in tandem and they're also very tight, centralized-concept pieces.

S3 felt like it was trying to tackle far too much and wasn't sure what it wanted to handle until the last three (or four?) episodes, by which point what it wanted to handle was too quick.

I think the episode with Nikki and Wrench in the woods being hunted by hitmen is probably one of the best single episodes of the whole show though. So wonderfully tense. That and the elevator scene.

selectivememory

I have a lot of issues with Season 1, though I still thought it was decent enough. It was just plain bad in places, the humour was really forced, and the finale was awful. Did not have high expectations for Season 2, but that turned out to be great, and I think Season 3 was pretty good too - definitely a lot better than the first season.

Season 3 is definitely flawed. Ewan McGregor wasn't great casting, and the Nikki character felt very sloppily written - she seemed to be whatever the writers needed her to be in each episode. But on the whole it felt like they were trying something a bit different with it, and largely pulled it off in the end.

robotam

Jim Bob

Quote from: Inspector Norse on January 11, 2020, 08:00:14 PM
Hmm, Thewlis was indeed marvellous but isn't it generally agreed (by myself among others) that series three was the weakest, due to the faint feeling of déjà vu that creeps in? I shouldn't be too harsh, it was very good TV obviously: enjoyable and stuffed with great lines and scenes of course, the cast terrific as always, just not bringing enough new to the table given that the first two series already existed.

That may well be the general consensus, but personally speaking, whilst I enjoyed seasons 1 and 2 on the whole, I absolutely loved season 3.

H-O-W-L

I think Season 2 struck for me most because of its NAM SHIT subplot. I really love me some NAM SHIT, and the whole 'brought the war home' slant was very fucking nice.

Plus, the War Pigs intro to the final ep slaps hard. Spoilers, obv.

Young Lou was perfectly cast.

kngen

Just finished Season 3 and it was ... good (Thewlis, in particular). Not a patch on Season 2, but then - what is?

NoSleep

up_the_hampipe

It's got some fairly lukewarm reviews so far, but seasons 2 and 3 did take a little time to heat up as well. Massively looking forward to it regardless.

selectivememory

Oh, thanks for the heads up. I'd forgotten entirely about this.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

NoSleep

NoSleep

chveik

olliebean

It'll be on Netflix in the morning, won't it, like the previous seasons?

NoSleep

Quote from: olliebean on September 27, 2020, 10:49:38 PM
It'll be on Netflix in the morning, won't it, like the previous seasons?
It isn't a Netflix so that would be unusual. More likely the whole season will appear once all episodes have aired on the original network.

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on September 28, 2020, 09:01:15 AM
It isn't a Netflix so that would be unusual. More likely the whole season will appear once all episodes have aired on the original network.

It's confusing trying to keep track of what appears on Netflix as it's broadcast and what doesn't. The new episodes aren't there this morning, and I also appear to have set Sonarr to download them automatically, which I wouldn't have done if Netflix had been putting them up the day after broadcast during previous seasons, so I guess I was wrong in this case.

steveh

Channel 4 no longer seem to have first run rights in the UK for Fargo. Disney have been pulling most of their content from other channels and services as contracts expire to instead run on their own streaming services. Shows on FX are now on Hulu in the US, which they have talked about launching in the UK in 2021 so it could be being held back for that.

jobotic

NoSleep

Quote from: olliebean on September 28, 2020, 09:12:37 AM
It's confusing trying to keep track of what appears on Netflix as it's broadcast and what doesn't. The new episodes aren't there this morning, and I also appear to have set Sonarr to download them automatically, which I wouldn't have done if Netflix had been putting them up the day after broadcast during previous seasons, so I guess I was wrong in this case.

Netflix don't usually present stuff one episode at a time; whole seasons turn up, whether it's their own shows or another network's; I can't think of an exception I've come across. Amazon are different to this, The Boys being a current example of a show appearing episode by episode.