Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:43:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Festivals 2020

Started by Captain Crunch, January 10, 2020, 03:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Crunch

Anything booked up yet?  I always dither over Desertfest (plus side – bands; downside – Camden, naff crowd, horrible security, bit pricey, too long, clashes, too late etc etc...) so I was pleased to find this:

Super cheap and cracking lineup!  As always I get tempted by Raw Power but it's a bit too broad for me. 

BlodwynPig

Doesn't say where it's taking place. Amateur hour!

Christ, I guess the music just sort of merges into one lumpen, leaden mass of minor keys.

idunnosomename

I guess it's taking place up the elephant tree

Noddy Tomkey

Calm down everyone I looked it up and it takes place in LEEDS!

No wonder they left that off the poster HARD LOL!

I would have been tempted if it was in London. Guess I'll look into Desertfest then.

phantom_power

I have got tickets to Primavera this year and am getting very excited about the possible line-up based on various rumours. It is the first "proper" festival I have been to in years and it is their 20th anniversary so might well be a bit special

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on January 10, 2020, 06:49:38 PM
I have got tickets to Primavera this year and am getting very excited about the possible line-up based on various rumours.

Ooh, what have you heard? I also have a ticket and am GROWING IMPATIENT!

alan nagsworth

Yeah they want to sort their fucking shit out announcing that lineup because I also am getting very impatient with their shite ticket marketing putting a delay on the announcements

idunnosomename

Bloodstock looks approaching par with European metal festivals this year, at last. Vio-Lence!!

Doubt i will go though

Lineup for now

Sebastian Cobb

Nothing major planned but I have a mate who moved to Yorkshire that I tend to visit a few times a year so am going down for this.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

A long distance to travel for me, but worth it for the line up, and the crowd should be great!

chveik

idunnosomename

God id hate to be a festival promoter with brexit. Europe to US visas can be really shitty business

phantom_power

Quote from: non capisco on January 10, 2020, 07:12:56 PM
Ooh, what have you heard? I also have a ticket and am GROWING IMPATIENT!

Not too much concrete, apart from Pavement, Yo La Tengo, Sudan Archives, Les Savy Fav, Kim Gordon and Jenny Hval, but loads of educated guesswork on this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/primaverasound/comments/czsz63/primavera_2020_official_confirmedrumorswishlist/

phantom_power

Line-up for Primavera is announced at 9am tomorrow

non capisco

Quote from: phantom_power on January 15, 2020, 08:27:45 PM
Line-up for Primavera is announced at 9am tomorrow

Already out there by the looks of things

https://www.primaverasound.com/en

grassbath

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 11, 2020, 08:16:12 PM
Nothing major planned but I have a mate who moved to Yorkshire that I tend to visit a few times a year so am going down for this.

Think I'll be there too.

hummingofevil

Quote from: non capisco on January 15, 2020, 11:09:12 PM
Already out there by the looks of things

https://www.primaverasound.com/en

Not the pop highlights of last year but should be fine and I'm actually most looking forward to Hannah Diamond. Better fucking not clash with Bill Callahan. Need to listen to more music as way out the loop with most of the headliners.

It doesn't jump out at me as good line-up (to my tastes) but then looking through there are at least a dozen things I definitely want to see.

But now just remembered that the chances of me getting to the site before 11pm on the Thusday are zero so could miss a fair but of undercard stuff that i fancy. Oh well.

phantom_power

Lots of stuff I want to see and lots of stuff I need to investigate. I have already discovered Sudan Archives from the initial lineup and they are excellent

There is also some good stuff in Primavera a la Cuitat, which is a series of gigs around the city over that week that you can get into with your festival ticket

king_tubby

I'm going to Deershed because it's 'good for kids'.

I have to sleep in a tent.

Pray for me.

Still, quite fancy seeing Snapped Ankles.

Crabwalk

Ah, that Primavera line up is utterly ace. Front to back current favourites and old heroes of mine. I'm expecting detailed reports from you lucky attendees please.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 16, 2020, 04:51:24 PM
Ah, that Primavera line up is utterly ace. Front to back current favourites and old heroes of mine. I'm expecting detailed reports from you lucky attendees please.

I had a good go at the album of the year lists in here a few nights ago and loved so much of stuff never heard of before. This is just motivation to listen to more. Gonna give that Spotify a rinsing in next few months. :)

hummingofevil

Quote from: phantom_power on January 16, 2020, 06:45:37 AM
There is also some good stuff in Primavera a la Cuitat, which is a series of gigs around the city over that week that you can get into with your festival ticket

Aye. Last year we had a surprise extra day out when I stumbled across an extra day of gigs at the old Sonar Day venue (Contemporary Culture centre?). Saw that super group with them from REM and Sleater Kinney. Was good.

phantom_power

We are in Barcelona until Monday so should be able to see what's what on Sunday.

The festival is committed to a 50/50 split between male and female artists which is cool

alan nagsworth

I was initially somewhat underwhelmed by the Primavera lineup as the previous two years have looked absolutely incredible, like a festival catered exactly to the many years of my shifting music tastes, but honestly the more I read through it, the more I find myself very excited for it. It's a proper melting pot: very reliable dance names like Bicep, Blawan and Ben UFO (the three Bs!), solid modern pop talent like Rina Sawayama and Hannah Diamond, big mood shit like Weyes Blood, Lingua Ignota and Richard Dawson, and overall it's just a really solid blend of experimental/hard music, dance, pop and indie/alternative. Paul Heaton, Napalm Death and The Caretaker all on the same bill mate. I mean Paul Heaton can cunt into fucking shitty arseholes, but everything else, WOOF YES GET IT UP ME

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 16, 2020, 09:02:42 PM
I mean Paul Heaton can cunt into fucking shitty arseholes

What, even if he plays 'Old Red Eyes Is Back'? Fuckin choon.

alan nagsworth

You know how I feel about Paul Heaton man why you got to say these things at me, how you gonna do me like that

idunnosomename

bloodstock has now got Toxic Holocaust and Exhumed. I mean it's no Hellfest but it's the closest to amazing I've seen a UK metal festival post 2000 atm. I cant imagine pissing on my own in a field in south Derbyshire though

also im a bit put out that Judas Priest are barely a real band anymore now it's just Andy Sneap (who's a good lad yeah) filling in for Tipton and then that kid Richie who took up K.K. Downing's spot after he pulled a bad bluff. I'd rather see K.K and Ripper Owens these days than Halford crooning his way through high notes he cant hit anymore. ANYWAY

non capisco

Quote from: alan nagsworth on January 16, 2020, 09:41:35 PM
You know how I feel about Paul Heaton man why you got to say these things at me, how you gonna do me like that

"They're only red from all the thoughts unused inside my head/They're only red from all the things I could have done instead." Absolute heart tugging belter, that song. Unfortunately I can't risk going to see him just for that and then experiencing the acrid waft of shit like 'Perfect 10'. Maybe if he promises to only play 'Old Red Eyes Is Back' twelve times. And 'Happy Hour' for the encore.

hummingofevil

I was dragged along to Paul and Jackie (Beautiful South) when they played Tynemouth festival a few years back  - I hate it and it is the worst picnic cunts gig but it always falls on my girlfriend's birthday so she pulls rack. Having hated absolutely everything about them in 90s I actually quite enjoyed it mainly due to Heaton's craic. He's a funny guy. She comiing to Primavera so excited about that (she wants to see The Stroke and them - urgh) but I'm happy to compromise. They are fine. They were OUR Coldplay. They are nothing but are fine.