Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:41:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Extinction Rebellion listed as extremist ideology [split topic]

Started by jobotic, January 10, 2020, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuellar on January 14, 2020, 12:44:19 PM
Saw this in the Guardian's report:

QuoteAmong evidence that a person may be vulnerable to Extinction Rebellion's alleged extremist beliefs was speaking in "strong or emotive terms about environmental issues like climate change, ecology, species extinction, fracking, airport expansion or pollution"

Completely fucking mental.

To claim it was a mistake might make sense if there was just a list of organisations that their name appeared on, but to put these sort of details in their 'guidance' suggests it absolutely wasn't, and got past qutie a few pairs of eyes before someone with a bit of sense saw it.

Yes, it evidences an, apparently, widespread acceptance by the police or those officers that are charged with protecting the public from terrorism anyway, that people, even children (this guide was being provided to teachers to enable them to spot potential terrorists), who express their concern over the destruction of our planet in anything less than anodyne or mild terms are potential terrorists, if not terrorists already and should be reported.

Whether they keep that in their guide or not, that's what they think.

What they're failing to understand is it's exactly this kind of behaviour that radicalises people.

Pinball

Quote from: Dewt on January 14, 2020, 12:37:21 PM
Pinball writes like a man who fundamentally cannot cum.
That is completely ridiculous. Ask your mum. In fact, you're my kid, and I had hoped this forum might afford an opportunity for us to bond more closely, but sadly it was not meant to be.

Cuellar

Quote from: Buelligan on January 14, 2020, 01:05:15 PM
What they're failing to understand is it's exactly this kind of behaviour that radicalises people.

My first instinct on reading the headline that they'd been 'declared a terrorist organization' was to join at once.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Pinball on January 11, 2020, 10:52:29 AM
saying we will be extinct in a couple of years is unscientific and silly.
Who's saying that, other than you?

Pinball

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 14, 2020, 02:55:31 PM
Who's saying that, other than you?
What I meant to say, your majesty, is you shine out like a shaft of gold etc.

My point is that massively exaggerated doom-mongering doesn't help their cause. Nevertheless, the cause is hugely important, of course.

Blumf

Rebranding!

Extinction Tinkering-Around-the-Edges

No longer a threat to society, kiddy friendly, plod approved.

Zetetic

Police Scotland have been distributing the original document - listing XR - in the last few weeks.

I wish the people with all the guns and the shoot-to-kill policy would stop making these errors of judgment.