Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

King Gary

Started by chrispmartha, January 11, 2020, 01:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispmartha

Anyone watch this? New BBC 1 Tom Davis sit com, I watched because Simon Day is in it but with low expectations, I actually quite enjoyed it

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't get on with it myself, just didn't feel like the jokes landed and the whole glasses subplot was shit, surely no one mocks someone for having failing eyesight in this day and age?

Utter Shit

Thought the performances were mostly good (except for Lee Benson) but the script was crap. Gary's wife was really funny. Simon Day seemed a bit wasted.

chrispmartha

Quote from: Utter Shit on January 11, 2020, 04:01:56 PM
Thought the performances were mostly good (except for Lee Benson) but the script was crap. Gary's wife was really funny. Simon Day seemed a bit wasted.

Agree with that, his wife is the best character shes very good in the second episode but yes script is lacking somewhat and there should be more Simon Day

petril

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 11, 2020, 03:51:13 PM
surely no one mocks someone for having failing eyesight in this day and age?

if anything people seem more likely brag about having shit eyesight with no correction these days

Shit Good Nose

Not great, although I do like and have a lot of time for Davis and, much as I'm not keen on Romesh Ranganathan's standup, I do think he's excellent as the increasingly frustrated passive-aggressive neighbour, so I will probs see it through to the end.  Would much rather another series of Murder In Successville, though.

Just to pick up on/expand/defend this SMBH:
Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 11, 2020, 03:51:13 PM
surely no one mocks someone for having failing eyesight in this day and age?

Davis (a glasses wearer in real life) has spoken before about how during his pre-fame years as a labourer he was regularly made fun of for his glasses (thanks to his massive head, they were always huge framed stereotypical NHS-of-old glasses as there wasn't anything else available that fit him), so I imagine that was some exorcising on his part.

paruses

Sorry for the bump but this seems like a continuation of the thread -

This got thrown up by iPlayer's "Because you watched" thing. So I watched this too over the course of a couple of days. Thought that there were good performances from familiar faces though it felt a bit too light. I thought that by the end of the series they'd given Day just enough to do. I liked Davis' mincing and his tight tight shirts and drainpipes. Also love the conversations between him and his wife because although at times she seemed to be verging on being a Fast Show character.

Also a bit of a Romesh-denier after his initial rise to prominence but he played his part perfectly.

Would be happy to see a second series.