Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:44:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nuts in may

Started by chrispmartha, January 11, 2020, 04:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrispmartha

Currently on BBC catch up, I've never seen it, worth a watch?

chveik

chrispmartha

just started to watch it, first impression is Keith must have been a big inspiration for Edward from LOG!

pancreas

*chews*

I think the important thing is

*chews*

to use your discretion.

wosl

I'm only advising you to watch it for your own good *SOB*

poodlefaker

Yes, probably an inspiration for LoG; also Vic & Bob, Charlie Higson, Paul Whitehouse etc.

Stephen Bill mate, what a star.

Bobtoo

Definitely Vic & Bob, the first time I saw Nuts in May was when they included it in the evening they hosted on BBC2 https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/d9633d9e27ef409b83accb95028d8a61

Custard

It's sublime.

Watch Ben Wheatley's Sightseers after, for its far more dark and murderous offspring

chrispmartha

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 12, 2020, 09:55:00 AM
It's sublime.

Watch Ben Wheatley's Sightseers after, for its far more dark and murderous offspring

Really enjoyed it! Ive never seen Abigails party either or im ashamed to say not many other Mike Leigh stuff, i'll have to rectify that!

Ive seen sightseers but I think it needs a rewatch!

darth andy

PaulTMA

Quote from: Bobtoo on January 12, 2020, 09:10:49 AM
Definitely Vic & Bob, the first time I saw Nuts in May was when they included it in the evening they hosted on BBC2 https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/d9633d9e27ef409b83accb95028d8a61

This was life-changing for me.  The VHS tape of that entire evening is at least one good reason to keep the VCR hooked up forever.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: chrispmartha on January 11, 2020, 04:07:54 PM
just started to watch it, first impression is Keith must have been a big inspiration for Edward from LOG!

Blimey, I had the exact same reaction. The speech cadence is remarkably similar.

...want to see the zoo, she said, I want to see the zoo.

wosl

Quote from: chrispmartha on January 12, 2020, 10:15:18 AMIve never seen Abigails party either or im ashamed to say not many other Mike Leigh stuff, i'll have to rectify that!

There is/was a fine boxed-set of Leigh's BBC dramas, which includes Nuts and Abigail's, available (is!  Here.  Also a used copy currently listed on Amazon for a couple of quid less, postage included, if you still buy discs, and use Amazon).  My sister got it me one Christmas; one of the best presents I've received.  Hard Labour is also included, which features a sterling performance from Liz Smith as the central down-trodden wife, mother and domestic (and which also features a nice performance by Alan Erasmus, later of Factory Records renown, in a smallish support role)

jobotic

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 12, 2020, 04:19:57 PM
...want to see the zoo, she said, I want to see the zoo.

This sporadically pops into my head often and has done for years.

I also need to stop saying "Come along now [insert names of children as neither of them are called Candice-Marie]" to my kids in Keith's voice.

Nuts in May is fantastic.

neveragain

Alison Steadman has some very funny moments as well. It's a shame she just plays a load of similar mumsy roles now, she's brilliant at creating characters.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: neveragain on January 13, 2020, 07:56:28 PM
Alison Steadman has some very funny moments as well. It's a shame she just plays a load of similar mumsy roles now, she's brilliant at creating characters.

Yeah, didn't even realise it was her in both this and Abigail's Party.

wosl

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 13, 2020, 07:57:19 PM
Yeah, didn't even realise it was her in both this and Abigail's Party.

As I remember, she plays a proto (albeit less developed) version of Bev in Hard Labour.

Just to add for non-UK people these are on YouTube

Nuts In May
https://youtu.be/-pxN2BADHwk

Abigail's Party
https://youtu.be/z_MZ1WKGO9U

MortSahlFan

Great movie, great director.

Great microcosm satire about co-existence.