Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:23:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Off to watch some Buñuel

Started by kalowski, January 11, 2020, 06:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Its The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie at the Salford Manchester Film Society tonight. Looking forward to this, a film I've been meaning to watch for at least 20 years.
I've only ever seen Un Chien Andalou but do mean to see The Exterminating Angel one day too.

Any views on Buñuel?

His first couple of films are top shit, never to be beaten, but the stuff from his French period (approx. 1964-1977) is just masterpiece after masterpiece.

Keebleman

In 1984 BBC2 showed a season of his films on a dozen consecutive Fridays, each starting at 9pm. Les Olvidados, Viridiana, Belle De Jour, That Obscure Object of Desire.  I watched them all.  Them was the days, kids!

kalowski

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie was great, although perhaps not as funny as some of the audience were making out. You'd have thought they were watching Mr Bean's Holiday.
The relentless and ever increasing surrealism was lovely. Fir the first meal they'd got the date wrong, at the restaurant the manager had died... And by the end Fernando Rey was caught by the gunmen because he couldn't resist another slice of lamb.
Lovely colours, and a weird semblance of plot that made sense, but wasn't important.
Great stuff.

I'll be even more frank, just to show you that I'm not a hard-hearted man, that it wasn't all dollars and cents. Stéphane Audran was bloody gorgeous!

chveik

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Bunuel's french period is very strong, the other highlights being Le fantôme de la liberté, La voie lactée and Belle de jour. his mexican one isn't bad either, with The Exterminating Angel, The Criminal Life of Archibaldo de la Cruz and Viridiana.

Egyptian Feast

Thanks for reminding me I need to rewatch The Phantom of Liberty, chevik. I've always had a soft spot for that one since it was my first (think I caught it on Moviedrome? It was in the early 90s sometime). As has already been said a couple of times, those late period French movies are all excellent. I haven't seen many of the Mexican films, but his version of Robinson Crusoe is great, if atypical.