Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:35:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The song that's been in your head most

Started by peanutbutter, January 11, 2020, 07:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutbutter

Are there any songs that just continuously come back into your head? Have you any idea why?

Rough Gem by Islands has been intermittently popping into my head ever since it came out, at the time I didn't especially think much of it (although I liked the Unicorns a lot) and I've only listened to it since to confirm it is the same as the song in my head, but it's fucking always popping in there. I don't even think it's an especially catchy song, it just seems to have become the dominating one from a whole wave of Limewire downloads in the mid 00s of a certain range of sound in my head

Sebastian Cobb

At the moment it has been Sisters of Mercy -  When You Don't See Me/

Inspector Norse

'Wonderful Christmastime' by Paul McCartney

I have no fucking idea why.

alan nagsworth

Songs by bands like Shellac and Tomahawk often pop into my head out of absolutely nowhere. It's the sharp rhythm sections that do it.

non capisco

I continually get the "Oooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?" hook from Belinda Carlisle's 'Heaven Is A Place On Earth' bubbling up in my brain and subsequently out of my mouth, which is how I lost my job hosting the television programme 'The Antiques Roadshow'.

This week the song that's been in my head the most is, I'm afraid to say, 'Reggae Like It Used To Be' by this cool reggae guy from the 70s you won't have heard of called Paul Nicholas. Such is the price of voluntarily watching all of the surviving 1970s episodes of Top Of The Pops in chronological order instead of leaving the flat and speaking to other people.

olliebean

Sad to relate, for many years now I've had the song "Pyramania" by The Alan Parsons Project pop into my head at an average rate, I'd estimate, of about twice a week. I've no idea why this song in particular should keep recurring; it is quite catchy, but it's not a particular favourite, I've not listened to it any more in my life than plenty of other catchy songs that I like better, and indeed not listened to it at all for several years at least. But there it is, and there it returns, about twice a week on average.

sevendaughters

As a teenager, especially during cross-country races, it was The Sun Has Got His Hat On. It was like a curse.

Right now it's the Byrds' version of Tambo Man, particularly the lines "take me for a trip upon your magic swirling ship".

Jockice

Overall I reckon it's Get Over You by The Undertones. The intro is my standard 'appearing in my head when I see someone attractive in the street' tune. Although I can't do a wolf whistle to save my life. Plus the bit of guitar at the end of the first chorus is the greatest five seconds in the history of music. I quite like it. And yes, it's better than Teenage Kicks.

There are some other regulars but what I find strange is when I find a certain bit of a song stuck in my head for months. I thought about that when I watched that TOTP 1989 compilation a couple of weeks ago. The Beautiful South were on doing You Keep It All In. Great song but for some reason the bit that stuck in my head was Dave Hemingway's 'ba ba da ba ba ba' near the end. I also had a similar thing with the 'do do, do do do do'  again near the end of Pulp's Monday Morning.

Which also reminds me of the time I had a decorator in who would sporadically burst into song. ABC's Tears Are Not Enough. But only the 'picture in a magazine' line. I found that weird. Again, another great song, but that line is one of the most insignificant bits in it. To me anyway.

Rizla

"Eoow Iyee just dunno wayder beegeen", the first line from "Accidents Will Happen" by Elvis Costello takes up valuable ROM space in my frontal lobe for some reason. It's like it's my Windows startup music or summat.

chveik

that Coil song that goes "FUCK ME IN REVERSE, FUCK ME BACKWARDS! BACKWARDS!". dunno why

DrGreggles

Because of the recent thread it has been 'Drama!' by Erasure.

H-O-W-L

Spellbound by Siouxsie and the Banshees. That guitar riff is INFECTIOUS.

Runnin' Away by Sly & The Family Stone's been playing on a loop inside my head for about six months now.  I need help.

gmoney

Everything Counts by Depeche Mode. I often wake up with it spinning around my bonce.

Psmith

bigfatheart

flotemysost

Let It Snow at any given time of year, definitely not just Christmas. Without fail my mind also recites the lyrics as 'The fire is slowly dying / And my dear, so am I-ing', no idea why but it's sort of briefly amusing at least.

Waving My Arms by The Birthday Party, especially the staccato intro.

Call Me Al is another perennial earworm but I've got no clue when I would have last actually heard it anywhere.

non capisco

The bit in 'Rock Lobster' when Fred Schneider barks "EVERYONE WAS WEARING....MATCHING TOWELS!"

The bit in Digital Underground's 'The Humpty Dance' when Humpty Hump drawls "I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom!"

Ashford and Simpson: "And built it up...and built it uuuuurrrrp...and built it up...and now we're SOLID! SOLID AS A ROCK!"
^ My triumphant toilet anthem.

A few more for you there.

Dewt

Willy Wonka - Pure Imagination

It's lovely to have that pop up so often, and the lyrics are so adaptable and the tempo is very pliable. Good headsong. Good clunk.

Jockice

This morning I have Isaac Hayes' Chocolate Salty Balls stuck in my head. Pray for me please.

jobotic

Today it's Love Me for a Reason by The Osmonds (I think).

Quite often it's Lay Lady Lay. Or it's I Only Want to be With You (but I only want to do a poo in a silly accent).

Sick of it.

Dusty Substance

The "Dums" from Close To The Edit by The Art Of Noise have been in my head for 36 years.

Dewt

Quote from: jobotic on January 13, 2020, 11:35:27 AM
Today it's Love Me for a Reason by The Osmonds (I think).

Quite often it's Lay Lady Lay. Or it's I Only Want to be With You (but I only want to do a poo in a silly accent).

Sick of it.
I have Moby - Why Does My Heart (Feel So Bad) in my head a lot on the toilet

"Why does my butt
Smell so bad?"

bgmnts

https://youtu.be/ZGoh-drn2iQ

This track has been in my head for about a week.

Why the Darkness never really made it I don't know.

Dewt

It's going to be Live and Let Die for the foreseeable future now that Neil has renamed the gaming forum to Live Die Live.

MiddleRabbit

In order.

The most famous bit from Peter & The Wolf.
Dr. Beat - only the "won't you help me Dr. Beat? Doc-doc-doctor, Doctor Beat?" Not least because that's the only part I know.
Kung Fu Fighting - mainly, but not exclusively, the 'Oh-ho-ho-hoh' bit.

One of the above is always looping around my brain.  Drives me spare.

Head Gardener

Pauline Walnuts

At the moment, the 'I wanna make it last forever' bit of Electric six's Dance Commander.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRrfnvGQG1I

Tarot Woman- Rainbow.

Starting to do my head now as looking at this thread has reminded me of it and it's making a renewed assault on my mind.