Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:05:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

groundhog day

Started by madhair60, January 11, 2020, 10:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

just watched this, not seen it before. it's pretty good. i liked it. thats my review bye.

just watched this, not seen it before. it's pretty good. i liked it. thats my review bye.

madhair60

PlanktonSideburns

Love these low energy norm core mahair posts.

Just bought some calico. Seems a pretty decent fabric if you're one a budget. Okay bey

Jim Bob

peanutbutter

I remember once this aired on the television and the commercial break was one ad repeated like ten times, made 7 year old me laugh like crazy

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Dewt

There are a lot of basic errors in this. For example, they keep repeating the same bits of dialogue over and over again. Viewers aren't stupid.

Replies From View

Quote from: madhair60 on January 11, 2020, 10:09:45 PM
haha like the film

Kind of, except he got it wrong because in the film it isn't a different person saying the same things each time.

BlodwynPig

Gooood Morning Vietnaaaam

idunnosomename

olliebean

Groundhog Day (Cert PG13; 70mins)

This is the remake of a Harold Ramis-directed Bill Murray-scripted and directed Groundhog Day. Danny DeVito was to play the scientist trapped in the time loop; instead we have Bill Murray, in a comeback after his misses, playing his high maintenance Philly womanising Phil Connors. So what is the point?

Groundhog Day

Is it a nice story or is it a fun film? It's never clear. Partly because of Murray's choice to play Murray, but mainly because of what the film is built around: a subplot that could have worked but instead follows a lead-pipe cinch corkscrew. Given the genre, that is a reasonable strategy. It's not.

The science is sound; here we have quixotic TV personality Phil Connors who's depressed by his dull life and decides to go camping with his pregnant wife and son in a Pennsylvania forest. When he gets into a fight with a psychotic squirrel he's injured and his family are left stranded, he decides to go to Groundhog Day in the same way.

It works out pretty well and he ends up getting himself right back to where he was.

His son, meanwhile, feels he needs to save his dad, which means sleeping with a prostitute who's going to share her baby with the entire family, although he's in a flimsy state because the pregnancy was a mistake (a brain tumour). Phil's dilemma is that he has to make sure his wife and son never die again or else repeat himself.

madhair60

so does anyone have any opinions on this film, or

robotam

Apparently they only shot 30mins of footage and the whole "Time Loop" aspect was created in editing so they could still show it in the cinema

Shaky

Quote from: madhair60 on January 12, 2020, 01:45:43 PM
so does anyone have any opinions on this film, or

Yes, it's great and it manages to weld a huge, bleak concept to light romantic comedy pretty damn well. Lots of sly, funny little lines, some profound ones, a well realised town and inhabitants, and a consistent tone throughout. Interesting that Murray and Ramis took opposing views of what the film should be, fell out big time and didn't speak to each other again for decades. Bill was also a complete ballache on set too.

It's good, and holds up really well.

Icehaven

I'm sure I read an article recently that said he apparently was supposed to have gone through about 10,000 years of Groundhog Days before finally escaping, which isn't really conveyed in the film so might be bollocks but makes it even darker if it's true.

kalowski

Just the other day I was thinking about Needlenose Ned, Ned the Head, Ned Ryerson...Bing!

Dewt

Does Ned being in the hick town mean that Bill Murray grew up there and left and that's why he resents it, or is it just that Ned moved there and it's a big coincidence?

Dewt

Hey, Punk!

I remember once this aired on the television and the commercial break was one ad repeated like ten times, made 7 year old me laugh like crazy

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh, no-one has accused the film of being a male wank fantasy of manipulating a woman into bed yet.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 12, 2020, 07:48:21 PM
Oh, no-one has accused the film of being a male wank fantasy of manipulating a woman into bed yet.

You've fundamentally misunderstood the entire film.

Dewt

Quote from: QDRPHNC on January 12, 2020, 09:16:12 PM
You've fundamentally misunderstood the entire filmemale gender.

Bad Ambassador

One of the Sky Movies channels shows this back to back all day on 2 February.

When he finally becomes a better person, the spell is broken. Do any of his attempts to manipulate Andy McDowell into bed (before the final night) actually work? I don't think they do as I remember a montage of her slapping him in the face. Dr Peter Venkman could do with a decade in a recurring time loop, to teach him to respect women.

Shaky

^^
Yes, this. We're clearly shown that Murray's attempts to exploit his new situation (not just trying to shag McDowell, but also stealing money and being a devious cunt) don't get him anywhere until he gets all that out of his system and evolves into better human being.