Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:23:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

groundhog day

Started by madhair60, January 11, 2020, 10:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

I thought it had been calculated that he'd lived through that day 10,000 times, but that was something I read online and is therefore only 4% true (at most).

Any other time loop films out there? I love picking holes in them.

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2020, 10:25:14 AM

You might enjoy Predestination.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 13, 2020, 03:42:03 PM
I think my favourite bit is when he's trying to redo the snowball fight. Bye.

Each time I watch the film the more distasteful that bit seems. What's the morality of engineering a fuck with someone who otherwise hates you and with good reason?

Does anyone else have a rule in their house about only ever watching GD on February 2nd?

I've been trying and failing to find a blog I once read about someone who watched the film every single day for a year, but in the process I found this where someone has cut together every scene from the film into one from which runs all concurrent events at the same time, so each of the scenes where Phil is in the diner watching the waitress drop the tray are on screen at the same time. Here if you want a peek - https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2017/2/2/14483316/groundhog-day-film-every-day-at-same-time

FAKE EDIT: I found the blog, though it seems different to the one I remember so perhaps it's not the same one. Have at it http://groundhogdayproject.blogspot.com/2013/08/and-so-it-begins.html (and bravo to the "On me in 3...2...1..." title of the opening post if nothing else).

touchingcloth

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 14, 2020, 10:25:14 AM
I thought it had been calculated that he'd lived through that day 10,000 times, but that was something I read online and is therefore only 4% true (at most).

Yeah I've heard similar calculations. Learning piano and ice sculpting in tiny blocks must take ages, the sculpting in particular. Imagine every day having to source an ice block and a chainsaw and convince people to let you just fuck into it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 10:37:18 AM
Yeah I've heard similar calculations. Learning piano and ice sculpting in tiny blocks must take ages, the sculpting in particular. Imagine every day having to source an ice block and a chainsaw and convince people to let you just fuck into it.

Sourcing the ice and chainsaw would only be tricky first day, surely.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2020, 12:23:28 AM
I also like how the causes for the start and end of the timeloop are never explained.
In an early draft of the script it was an ex-girlfriend with supernatural powers.

just watched this, not seen it before. it's pretty good. i liked it. thats my review bye.

As far as the song I Got You Babe goes, when back to ordinary life did he end up driven to distraction whenever he heard it, or did he love it, because it symbolised the great opportunity all those repeated days gave him to get it right?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Wouldn't living that bleak mid-winter day eternally ( for all he knew) with no prospect of ever seeing Summer again drive you a bit doolally?

Mister Six

Quote from: MojoJojo on January 14, 2020, 10:21:18 AM
If you think about it too much, the idea that the experience somehow redeems him is a bit weird. It would turn him into a complete narcissist. Also he's be completely unable to cope with a new day where he didn't know what was going to happen.

"You were sick but now you're well again, and there's work to do."

idunnosomename

was the ENTIRE UNIVERSE resetting every day? around a SINGLE MAN IN AMERICA? SEEMS VERY IMPLAUSIBLE HMM! HMM!!!!

kalowski

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2020, 11:41:12 AM
Wouldn't living that bleak mid-winter day eternally ( for all he knew) with no prospect of ever seeing Summer again drive you a bit doolally?
Er... Yes. Toaster in the bath, driving on the rail tracks...

studpuppet

I still think this is ripe for a sequel. Imagine having to spend that long looped in one location and then having to cope with linear time again and your unrehearsed actions having consequences? I'd love to see a psychological character study, with him coming to terms with her not being perfect once the glow of the perfect day wears off, and everyone in his world suddenly being unpredictable again.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: kalowski on January 15, 2020, 05:56:47 AM
Toaster in the bath, driving on the rail tracks...

Wait a minute...where's me jumper?

Mister Six

^ Much better than the Parklife! meme. +Karma

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on January 15, 2020, 07:55:21 AM
I still think this is ripe for a sequel. Imagine having to spend that long looped in one location and then having to cope with linear time again and your unrehearsed actions having consequences? I'd love to see a psychological character study, with him coming to terms with her not being perfect once the glow of the perfect day wears off, and everyone in his world suddenly being unpredictable again.

I'd like to see a film where Billy Murrays reprises his role, but the character is the current age that Billy Murrays is now but over the course of the film you realise he's actually been going back in time since his timeloop day "ended" but it's like Benjamin Button and time is going backwards except he's somehow getting ever older while Andie MacDowell is getting ever younger until he's 76 and she's 2.

olliebean

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2020, 10:24:26 PM
I'd like to see a film where Billy Murrays reprises his role, but the character is the current age that Billy Murrays is now but over the course of the film you realise he's actually been going back in time since his timeloop day "ended" but it's like Benjamin Button and time is going backwards except he's somehow getting ever older while Andie MacDowell is getting ever younger until he's 76 and she's 2.

peado

just watched this, not seen it before. it's pretty good. i liked it. thats my review bye.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2020, 11:57:30 PM
FAKE EDIT: I found the blog, though it seems different to the one I remember so perhaps it's not the same one. Have at it http://groundhogdayproject.blogspot.com/2013/08/and-so-it-begins.html (and bravo to the "On me in 3...2...1..." title of the opening post if nothing else).
On a similar-ish note, former...AV Club?...writer Sean Collins did a thing where he wrote something new about "Road House" every day for a year - it just finished, so you can read all his stuff. www.seantcollins.com . My mate sent him a screenshot of Keith David throwing a punch in the background of a scene, which is one of very few examples of him still being in the movie - he had a much bigger role which was almost entirely cut out - which got featured on the blog.

touchingcloth

Quote from: olliebean on January 15, 2020, 10:25:25 PM
peado

Bill Murray is an actual peodo so it's apt.

Fake edit:

Jesus, I've typed "peodo" enough times my computer is just not arsed any more.

touchingcloth

What, so just because I risk my life swimming through tiny subterranean troubles to get at and raep some trapped Thai boys suddenly I'm some sort of a peodo?

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 15, 2020, 10:24:26 PM

I just think there's so much scope.
How about a modern-day Murray, living in Gobbler's Knob, and he becomes a cameo in another person's Groundhog Day. But all you see is his cameo time after time, and the other person's different attempts at interacting with him through the day. Eventually (and unknowingly for Murray) his life experience slowly brings epiphany to the new sufferer, a bit like the tramp does in his original day.

touchingcloth

How about a sequel where all of Groundhog Day turns out to have been a dream but a dream where he's aged by the correct amount of time so that he looks like Bill Murray does now and he doesn't die because of magic but then when he wakes up it's to I Got U Babe and everything is as it was on that day except the people all look older and the cars all look more modern and whatnot but he's so old and cynical and can't be arsed with it all so the remainder of the film's 3 hour run time is him just absolutely fucking ending Ned Ryerson in as many different ways as he can think?

This one's a doozey! Pushed in puddle.

This one's a doozey! Chopped with chainsaw.

This one's a doozey! Punxsutawney Phil inserted into anus.

Imagine if, on one of his breakdown days, he withdrew all his money from the bank, set fire to it and ran into a school naked. But as bad luck would have it, that was the day the spell was broken and he spends the rest of his life dealing with the consequences.

Twit 2

Showed Groundhog Day to some foreign students once. Genuine negative feedback: "It's a bit repetitive."

idunnosomename

it must be a bit of a downer to your "im a god" narrative to think the ONE DAY you do something really awful it's when you have to face the consequences the next day

oy vey

Three cheeseburgers, two large fries, two milkshakes and a coke. Too early for flapjacks?

Next time I'm stopped at a checkpoint...

studpuppet

Well, at least they bothered to do it properly with all the right performers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnhzGUcENWo