Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Louis Theroux: Selling Sex

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, January 12, 2020, 08:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Lazy as shit to just brand anybody acting vaguely dramatic in a way that displeases you a BPD outcast

Piggyoioi

Deep fear of abandonment
Childhood Abuse
Hypersexual
Changes hair styles frequently
Self harm scars
Many of her friends can't handle her mood swings (splitting)
Lack of an identity: seemed she was searching for an identity/control in being a sex worker
Plays the victim after the documentary - consistent need for validation/attention

I feel im seeing more than just 'vaguely dramatic'. I'm well aware I could be wrong, i just thought it was interesting. I actually have alot of sympathy for anyone who has BPD and feel its unduly stigmatised in our society, hence why perhaps she's pretending to be autistic.

sevendaughters

as I said, this thread was after manufacture but before airing. I have no opinion on your diagnosis. I'm not a fan of sex work as a thing. I recognise it must exist, and am not into criminalising women who are involved at all; I also do not think it can be recast as any kind of good. I also accept this is a fairly conservative viewpoint.

Quisby

One of them appears to diagnose herself as having BPD:

"Collective ailments I hear you ask? Well, the short story is: ASD, BPD. We'll let you guess whose who".

https://sites.google.com/prod/view/babeworld/artist-statement

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched this last night. Bleak stuff indeed, although I wonder how many other women were left on the cutting room floor because they didn't have an abusive background to fit the narrative.

Jake Thingray

Only just seen this, and I'm afraid, watching Ashleigh and reading some of her online "statements" on her "art", couldn't help but think of Pulp's Common People. (She also said "like" 58 million times.)

bgmnts

They probably did this for Savile and the Neo Nazis and all the wacky people as well.

PlanktonSideburns

should have shoved a bit harder on saville

sevendaughters

It's just a new version of what her pal said before broadcast. I'm sure some of her gripes are legitimate but how you get to 2019 and not understand how a 'neutral' documentary is made for a major network is beyond me. It's the crafting of a narrative, not a platform. I also disagree that this was sensationalist in any meaningful sense of the word. You have to ask questions in an audience-minded fashion. Admittedly it wasn't empowering, possibly conservative in its conclusions.

imitationleather

When has a Louis Theroux documentary ever been empowering for the subject matter?

Prior to the Thai brides episode everyone thought it was just sad acts who did stuff like that, but now...!