Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 2020

Started by dr beat, January 12, 2020, 01:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Trailed off quite quickly, when you think of many players in their mid-40s now who are beating everyone. Maybe his approach was just too intense.

Bit of an oddball, but not in a charming way. More in a Scientology sort of way.

"I checked my orgone count and it was pretty clear I was spent"

druss

Still glad that the Ebdonator beat Hendry in 2002 though.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on April 30, 2020, 10:30:53 PM
Oh fuck, that smells of a potential commentator role in the future.

His commentary is appalling.

Every silver lining has a cloud. Oh fuck indeed.

So much for that cosmic healing qualification or whatever the fuck it is he's got.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: druss on April 30, 2020, 10:59:15 PM
Still glad that the Ebdonator beat Hendry in 2002 though.

Beating Ronnie in that match which was like a trial of time against the mind was my favourite, knowing that Ronnie was combusting inside at this bald twat taking about 2 minutes over every shot. This is why I can't ever hate Selby for that attritional as fuck final. They leaned on their own strengths and beat the other guy mentally. Any fan of spin bowling or chess has to love shit like that.

Also I love matches where lesser skilled players are reaching their peak, their Everest and just devote the whole thing as though it's the last match they will ever play, and beat the runaway favourite. It's classic sport.

buttgammon

Chronic neck injury? Maybe Ebdon wasn't so boring after all.

imitationleather

Not chronic enough that that the spinal cord is no longer attached to the brain stem, unfortunately.

BlodwynPig

Was just coming to post this.

Ebdon is my favourite of all time. He reminds me of a bald Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson. Understated, shy, boring. Perfection.

He'll probably reveal that he is a rabid Vaporwave fan and dresses in dayglo lycra to party on desolate beaches, and like Steve Davis being into Zeuhl, my affections will sky rocket.

Flouncer

It is quite remarkable that he manages to be even more boring in the commentary box than on the table. If he starts appearing with more regularity that might just cement my increasing gravitation towards Eurosport.

Blue Jam

Peter Ebdon is Mark's dad in Peep Show:

Flouncer

Oops, I didn't see the comments on this page until after I'd posted...

I did enjoy watching Ebdon at times. I saw him play in the flesh once - he played Kurt Maflin in the last round of qualifiers for the Crucible about seven or eight years back. Theirs was the last match going on the final day of the qualifiers; there were only about a dozen people left in the place. Tony Drago was sat next to me, watching the attritional spectacle long after midnight. Classic Ebdon. Loads of breaks of about fifteen then the inevitable safety shot. He'd ground Maflin down mentally to the point where he wasn't capable of frame winning contributions. There was a woman sat on the same row as us, and she actually fell asleep - me and Tony looked at each other and smiled. Maflin eventually staggered over the line: I think it finished up at 10-8, at about two o'clock in the morning. I had to get a taxi home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteUnderstated, shy, boring. Perfection.

Except he isn't any of those things is he. He went through periods of being an attention seeking cunt, initially with long hair, styled as 'the clown prince of snooker' for a while, pop video, known for the 'Ebdon Roar' for a while where he decided to bring football/pub theatrics into professional ranking events, then spent a good part of the last decade getting into crystal skulls, woo woo and motivational b.s while certainly under no circumstances avoiding tax liabilities emigrating to Dubai. Litigious apparently too, trying to sue The Times for libel and failing. Wiki: "In his first year of following the diet he lost two and a half stone and for September aimed to eat only raw food. He is a devotee of Napoleon Hill's motivational book Think and Grow Rich."

Overstated, annoying, wanker. Grave.

QuoteHe started his career while at Highbury Grove School, resulting in him not taking his O levels – a decision he now regrets

Oooh regrets

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52462145

Ali Carter's fluke after a shit miss is getting beasted on this top 10 shots of the decade.

I think Selby's escape from a snooker to set up a counter snooker was the best one here. AIDS is in the lead with a good exhibition shot but I am not voting for that forehead stealing piece of immunocompromise.

Norton Canes

Like the Wilson one for the Kubrickesque conjunction at the end

druss

Always thought that AID's shot was a bit over rated, the red was over pocket. It looks amazing if you have no idea about how side spin works but it's not particularly difficult to judge weird spins off the cushion like that. It's not a shot you'd expect to hit every time but there are far harder shots to execute in that list.

druss

Or it might just be that I hate his fat AIDS face.

Uncle TechTip

It should have been the final today. Does anyone know how they were planning to deal with no bank holiday? Was the final originally scheduled to finish today? Can't believe the virus robbed me of seeing how it would be resolved.

buttgammon

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on May 04, 2020, 11:23:30 AM
It should have been the final today. Does anyone know how they were planning to deal with no bank holiday? Was the final originally scheduled to finish today? Can't believe the virus robbed me of seeing how it would be resolved.

In 1995, when the bank holiday was moved to commemorate the 50th anniversary of VE Day, they finished it on the Sunday; maybe that was the plan for this year too?

Andy147

Quote from: buttgammon on May 04, 2020, 11:37:21 AM
In 1995, when the bank holiday was moved to commemorate the 50th anniversary of VE Day, they finished it on the Sunday; maybe that was the plan for this year too?

Apparently it was due to finish today, because the bank holiday was moved too late to re-schedule (https://wst.tv/world-championship-final-may-bank-holiday/).

Uncle TechTip

Thanks - 10 months notice and its still not enough!

Blue Jam

Watching Steve Davis presenting The Crucible: 40 Golden Years on iplayer now and it's making me wish I was in Sheffield last Saturday *sigh*

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08nt19b

Also why the fuck is Stephen Fry on this? I thought he was no longer contractually obliged to be on everything now and had passed that baton to Alexander Armstrong.

An enjoyable programme in the absense of some actual snooker though.

Blue Jam

Puce Moment

So, the World Snooker Championship will be going ahead at the Crucible from 31 July and will be televised as well as, MAYBE, also including a live audience or a heavy reduced live audience.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/52313778

The Championship League will start from tomorrow but will remain 'behind closed doors'. Does this mean it will also not be televised?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/52763316

Anyway, delighted that this most beautiful sport with its peerless athletes will be returning. I have missed it so.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tally of snooker covid casualties?

Barry Pinches
Dave Harold
...?

Blue Jam

The Championship League will be on ITV4 and will also be on Bazzavision Matchroom.live:

https://wst.tv/how-to-watch-the-matchroom-live-championship-league/

Mine and Dr Beat's World Championship tickets are valid for the rescheduled match but it may still go ahead with a reduced audience, or no audience at all. We have been assured that if we can't go our tickets will be transferred to the 2021 tournament.

Puce Moment

Thanks BJ - delighted that the Championship League is being televised! Starting tomorrow!

I'm delighted!

Blue Jam

Me too! No snooker in April and May has felt very wrong, I'm looking forward to this even if it will be strangely devoid of atmosphere. Eurosport broadcast the 2020 Gibraltar Open when it was held with no audience back in March and it was very strange indeed.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 31, 2020, 06:55:10 PMMe too! No snooker in April and May has felt very wrong, I'm looking forward to this even if it will be strangely devoid of atmosphere.

As I have said repeatedly, the irony is that snooker would be about the best thing to be on at the moment. Hours of beautiful, distracting snooker played by smartly dressed gentlemen.

I'm not that bothered about the audience. It will make for a nice change to not hear people constantly moving phlegm around their throat, or laughing hysterically at Selby's sideways glance at the game. I will miss seeing the man with the short arms, or the Coventry City guy, but it's a quiet, meditative game at the best of times.

Blue Jam

Eurosport have been streaming classic matches, as voted for by viewers. That means there is an awful lot of Ronnie on there but it's just good to have some snooker to watch right now.

Dr Beat and I switch our phones off and keep quiet, obviously.

Puce Moment

Jill Douglas' front room has massive snooker wallpaper. That's handy!

Flouncer

GRACE IN DANGER - baldy boy Grace blown off the table by a fresh, pungent Trump.