Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:37:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roger Scruton dead.

Started by idunnosomename, January 12, 2020, 10:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

A happy ending at last.  What a miserable man.

Hey, Punk!

My only interaction with the man's work was when he had a debate/discussion with Terry Eagleton and made very very basic reddit-tier objections to Marxism and looked genuinely baffled at Eagleton's quite simple retorts. I'll probably watch it again to see if my memory is correct.

Twit 2

His views on aesthetics and music were absolute toilet. The embodiment of everything wrong with a conservative mindset. But now he embodies nothing because his body's gone rotten, which is an occasional for gladness.

I remember his defence of fox hunting boiling down to "it has been central to people's lives for years and who are we to disrupt that and hurt their feelings?", that it reacquaints us with "mysterious and sacred things", comparing the experience of the hunt to "finding yourself in a vast cathedral in ancient Byzantium, the voices of the choir resounding in the dome above you and the congregation gorgeous in their holiday robes", and that it is far from being limited to upper-class, old-monied aristocrats but instead promotes an "egalitarian meritocracy", which is a mind-boggling and completely fantastical way of looking at it.

Isn't Scruton's just another kind of 'feelings-based' philosophy conservatives would sneer at if it came from a left-wing or liberal writer? Then again, words like "cathedral" and "Byzantium" are like catnip to them, so I guess they don't notice. As Twit 2 said, his views on aesthetics and music were absolute toilet as well. He once argued that music's value is quasi-moral, in that the kinds of music one responds to, or those valued in a particular culture, reflect the state of that individual's or culture's "soul", and by some amazing coincidence a culture's soul being in good nick means that it lines up perfectly with his own feelings about western classical music. If you like pop music, your soul reflects the worship of false gods, false worship and false emotions. Your emotions aren't true if you enjoy Meshuggah.

He liked Metallica, though, so there must have been some hidden depths to him, I suppose.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on January 13, 2020, 02:31:37 AM
I have a very clever Rory Bremner-style satirical name for Roger Scruton
Roger Poupon

Pingers

Dead, of piffle. Imagine that.

Doomy Dwyer

My only 'anecdote' concerning the unfortunately named Richard Strapon concerns the time I that worked in Foyles, the iconic London bookshop (now sadly much depleted). I was confronted by a furious ruddy cheeked walrus of a man who demanded to know why Ballbag's books were housed in the Popular Philosophy department and not the Actual Philosophy department. This enquiry alone marked the man out as something of a cunt, but it was his apoplectic manner that really set him apart from the rank and file. I explained that he was in the Pop. Phil. section because he was very pop amongt a certain demographic and that he "shifted a lot of units", which was surely the very definition of pop., no? The gentleman wasn't happy with this response, nor, I suspect, anything else at all. He seemed riled that Roger Sack's popularity detracted from his standing as Great Britain's foremost living philosopher. I countered with the assertion that just because something is popular doesn't absolutely always and without fail necessarily mean that it exclusively is for thick lads. Not 100% of the time. This ambiguous response/insult only served to stoke the fires of the fellows anger and he suffered a massive coronary and died there and then on the spot instantaneously. Needless to say, I had the last laugh. It's not much of an anecdote, I grant you. But I don't get on here much anymore.

Now Anal de Bottom is Great Britain's foremost philosopher, I suppose. He's a fucking wanker as well.

My thoughts and condolences are with SWP at this sad time.

RIP :(

Danger Man

Quote from: thenoise on January 13, 2020, 02:31:03 AM
Did he invent looksmaxing? Was he the original Chad?

Scruton's Sexual Desire (1986) set the standards for kino escalation.

Jerzy Bondov

idunnosomename

Look at that georgian building. It is beauty. Look at this ghastly concrete monstrosity. It is ugly. Ergo Jews did 9/11

Buelligan

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on January 13, 2020, 09:30:21 AM

My thoughts and condolences are with SWP at this sad time.

RIP :(

Heheheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.  I swear you read my fucking mind.

pancreas

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on January 13, 2020, 09:30:21 AM
Now Anal de Bottom is Great Britain's foremost philosopher, I suppose. He's a fucking wanker as well.

I was at university with his son. Hole-y de Bottom. I am not even joking.

sevendaughters

what was great about Roger Scruton is how the Conservatives sacked him for being racist about Muslims and claiming a Soros conspiracy and then they took him back 3 months later.

this was a long time ago, a completely different Conservative party in the halcyon days of 2019.

Buelligan

I bet they'll let him keep his fucking postal vote and all.

Buelligan

sevendaughters

for balance (so important!!!!!!!) I just ripped him one on another forum and a friend said they were sad because Scruton was instrumental in getting people he (my friend) knew out of Czechoslovakia under the Soviet oppression. looked like a right dick i did!

Buelligan

And yet he wanted to send 'em all back.  But I suppose the ones he didn't like coming to the UK from Europe were different in some way.

Harry Badger

Here's bellend and alleged sex pest Nick Cohen ripping into the Scrote for his involvement with the tobacco industry. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2002/jan/27/uk.observerpolitics

wosl

Quote from: Chuck Armstrong on January 13, 2020, 07:35:00 AM
He once argued that music's value is quasi-moral, in that the kinds of music one responds to, or those valued in a particular culture, reflect the state of that individual's or culture's "soul" [...] If you like pop music, your soul reflects the worship of false gods, false worship and false emotions.

One or two of this parish arguably hold a similar sort of view, re. the 'stand-off', or however you want to characterise it, between pop and some of the more conspicuously experimental ('prog[ressive]') types of music (try subbing in "the Beatles" for "pop music" in the last line). 

dissolute ocelot

Let's not forget how the Pet Shop Boys successfully sued him for libel when he claimed they didn't play on their records.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/573718.stm

ETA: Smug "not real music" cunt.

poodlefaker

Yeh, that was a strange one, I think he prob. thought the PSBs were a boyband, or he was confusing them with someone  else.

this cunt looked like Max von Sydow for years and now Sydow has outlived him. absolutely rinsed

marquis_de_sad

Imagine how insecure you'd have to be to write a book called An Intelligent Person's Guide To Modern Culture, let alone read it.

finnquark

Mourned dolefully by the principle and senior staff of various Victorian-era free schools. A hero to the New New Old Edu Right. 'We are sawing off the branch on which we sit.'

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Terrific news, I hope the footage of his demise is available as I sorely desire to masturbate over it.

buttgammon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2020, 04:59:24 PM
Let's not forget how the Pet Shop Boys successfully sued him for libel when he claimed they didn't play on their records.

This is brilliant! Neil Tennant should've pointed out that unfortunately, Scruton did write all of his own books.

Egyptian Feast

I've seen a lot of shit image macros of shit quotes by the great man since yesterday, especially that guff about conservatism being "the instinct to hold on to what we love" (kicking cripples), but this one was by far the best.

Cuellar

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2020, 04:59:24 PM

I notice no mention of the Spice Girls also suing