Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:17:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscar, We Have A Problem!

Started by sevendaughters, January 13, 2020, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Not really, just wanted to use this Gregg Turkington line as my own

full nominees here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51093954

squirty dump on the head of anyone coming in here to say they're above this shit

Mister Six

Why the fuck is Joker getting so many noms?

(I know, I know - the academy are fucking idiots and all this is meaningless.)

Really glad Jojo Rabbit got into best picture.

Marriage Story will clean up, I think. Double-punch of Hollywood masturbation and "relatable" story about rich artsy types in a fucked coupling.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2020, 03:39:31 PM
Why the fuck is Joker getting so many noms?
I don't know how it all works exactly (what with being above this shit) but I assume there's a lot of lobbying and such going on behind the scenes. With superhero films being Hollywood's only reliable cash cow, I expect all the studios are interested in the genre gaining a veneer of respectability.

Keebleman

Tarantino's film is currently favourite, followed by 1917 and Parasite.  Joker is quite a way off the pace at around 9-1.

Yeah Oscar nominations and shortlist positions are basically bought and paid for, I imagine Warner Brothers splashed the cash as soon as it was clear that the critics would be on side. Joker was transparently cynically made to double up as a franchise film and a middlebrow awards contender so here we are. The shrewdness is almost admirable

greenman

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2020, 03:39:31 PM
Marriage Story will clean up, I think. Double-punch of Hollywood masturbation and "relatable" story about rich artsy types in a fucked coupling.

Judy is even more Hollywood masturbation though.

EOLAN

The Irishman having a nomination for bet Visual Effects is what I am most mad about. Ok with all its other nominations.

Noodle Lizard

I think Joker's a perfectly fair contender, well-liked by audiences and critics alike, and Joaquin Phoenix will probably win Best Actor (he won the Globe, which is often a good indicator). I mean, compared to last year when fucking Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated for everything and won a fair few, and the actual Best Picture winner was ... what, The Green Book or something? I'm fine with Joker being in with a chance.

I'm surprised Taron Edgerton didn't get nominated for Rocketman.

Joker is absolutely a fair contender, it's perfect Oscar material, it always was. It's not a question of legitimacy

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 13, 2020, 06:49:11 PM
Joker is absolutely a fair contender, it's perfect Oscar material, it always was. It's not a question of legitimacy

Well, someone asked why it was getting so many nominations, so I figured I'd throw in my two pence.

I also don't think it's an especially cynical move, it's the type of film that probably would've got Oscar attention regardless of its superhero movie connection. Character piece, beloved actor in the third stage of his "prime", lots of "drama" scenes and "moments", vaguely political, unlikely director etc. Whether or not the movie itself was made with cynical intentions to get award recognition is another story entirely, but that could apply to a pretty large majority of movies made in general.

Mister Six

I'd say Joker would be fair enough for cinematography, best actor, editing and maybe score. But best screenplay? Best film? Best director? Fuck off. It's a hollow confection.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Mister Six on January 13, 2020, 08:33:43 PM
I'd say Joker would be fair enough for cinematography, best actor, editing and maybe score. But best screenplay? Best film? Best director? Fuck off. It's a hollow confection.

Looking at the other nominees, though ... I dunno. It's no more a "hollow confection" than Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or Ford Vs. Ferrari, in my estimation, and certainly nominees (and winners) from past years have been far worse in that regard. Again, Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated last year, a film that is actively awful with no redeeming features, and which was pretty widely panned as such. At the very least, most people can agree that Joaquin Phoenix was good in Joker and it looked nice.

Funcrusher

Shock and disbelief that films selected for Oscar nominations  aren't the best films of the year.

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2020, 08:44:19 PM
Looking at the other nominees, though ... I dunno. It's no more a "hollow confection" than Once Upon A Time In Hollywood or Ford Vs. Ferrari, in my estimation, and certainly nominees (and winners) from past years have been far worse in that regard. Again, Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated last year, a film that is actively awful with no redeeming features, and which was pretty widely panned as such. At the very least, most people can agree that Joaquin Phoenix was good in Joker and it looked nice.

Well all of this comes with the caveats that the Oscars are a meaningless waste of time, of course.

I strongly disagree about Once Upon a Time, but I don't care enough to argue about it right now.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2020, 08:44:19 PMI dunno. It's no more a "hollow confection" than Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I reject your hypothesis.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 13, 2020, 08:29:39 PM
the movie itself was made with cynical intentions to get award recognition

yes this was my point. it's basically a pastiche of a Worthy Artistic Character Study with all the recycled beats. shows how easy it is to game this stuff. and yeah, obvious caveat, nobody 'deserves' any awards. the whole thing is meaningless except in terms of observing the shifts in industry politics

For fuck's sake, how has this not caused more controversy yet? Did no reporter read all the way down the list?

QuoteBest Original Song

"I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away" from Toy Story 4 – Music and Lyrics by Randy Newman

"(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" from Rocketman – Music by Elton John; Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

"Rock and Roll, Part II" from Joker – Music and Lyrics by Gary Glitter and Mike Leander

"Into the Unknown" from Frozen II – Music and Lyrics by Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez

"Stand Up" from Harriet – Music and Lyrics by Joshuah Brian Campbell and Cynthia Erivo

Gary Glitter versus Elsa from Frozen. Now there's an image.

chveik

Oh very funny. I just checked the list and it seems I have been the victim of a lampoon.

Quote from: chveik on January 14, 2020, 12:42:41 AM
fucking idiots

I don't even know how it qualifies for the category. It came out a long time ago!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 14, 2020, 12:37:16 AM
For fuck's sake, how has this not caused more controversy yet? Did no reporter read all the way down the list?

I'm shocked shocked at Rock & Roll Part 2 being on there. I always thought that songs had to be brand new to be eligible for an Oscar, hence stage musicals being made into films often including an extra song for the purposes of the awards even if it's clearly inferior to the existing ones, e.g. Little Shop including Mean Green Mother... or Les Mis including Suddenly in the film versions.

I'm also surprised that Marriage Story is eligible for anything - I always assumed a film needed to be in Ver Cinema to be up for the Oscars.

touchingcloth

chveik

touchingcloth

I've just been reading about Jojo Rabbit and ended up chasing Taika Waititi round Wikipedia and learned that both Boy and Wilderpeople became the highest grossing New Zealand films of all time. That can't be right, Shirley? Not with Lords of the Ring.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on January 14, 2020, 12:37:16 AM

Quote"Rock and Roll, Part II" from Joker – Music and Lyrics by Gary Glitter and Mike Leander

This is the last thing we wanted to happen.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 01:04:42 AM
I've just been reading about Jojo Rabbit and ended up chasing Taika Waititi round Wikipedia and learned that both Boy and Wilderpeople became the highest grossing New Zealand films of all time. That can't be right, Shirley? Not with Lords of the Ring.

LOTR was shot in New Zealand but financed and distributed by a US studio (New Line Cinema) whereas Hunt for the Wilderpeople was financed and distributed by NZ production companies

touchingcloth

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 14, 2020, 01:30:41 AM
LOTR was shot in New Zealand but financed and distributed by a US studio (New Line Cinema) whereas Hunt for the Wilderpeople was financed and distributed by NZ production companies

LOTR was directed by a Kiwi as well, so I guess it depends on which of the five - location, director, studio, distributor, financier - you see as most important...