Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:43:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscar, We Have A Problem!

Started by sevendaughters, January 13, 2020, 03:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 12:50:06 AM
I'm also surprised that Marriage Story is eligible for anything - I always assumed a film needed to be in Ver Cinema to be up for the Oscars.

It was, as was The Irishman. Same month, even, perfectly calculated for Oscars. Giving these films the bare minimum theatrical release for eligibility has been Netflix's Oscar strategy since that whole Beasts of No Nation shambles. Arguably, it gives them an unfair advantage since they're able to time their releases however they want with virtually no one else (i.e. cinema chains, foreign markets etc.) to answer to.

bgmnts

It would have been fucking amazing if Gary Glitter won an oscar.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 01:35:56 AM
LOTR was directed by a Kiwi as well, so I guess it depends on which of the five - location, director, studio, distributor, financier - you see as most important...

It does get a bit complicated, and there's no hard and fast rule, but it tends to be the origin of the production company that determines the 'nationality' of the film in those kinds of calculations. But LOTR should probably be considered a NZ/US production, because the film relied heavily on the resources of the existing NZ film industry, including pretty much the whole crew.

Mister Six

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 12:50:06 AM
I'm also surprised that Marriage Story is eligible for anything - I always assumed a film needed to be in Ver Cinema to be up for the Oscars.

It had a limited theatrical release in the US, just like The Irishman and all the other streaming films up for awards. That's all it takes.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Mister Six on January 14, 2020, 09:41:47 AM
It had a limited theatrical release in the US, just like The Irishman and all the other streaming films up for awards. That's all it takes.

I expect there'll be a new category in coming years as a sop to streaming.

peanutbutter

I saw Marriage Story in the cinema.

The limited release thing has existed long before streaming though, was it Miramax who'd do a limited release in December to qualify and the wide release as the Oscars are happening. Screeners leaking largely killed this practice, I imagine.

Chollis

big thanks to chaplin's soup and subs

touchingcloth

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on January 14, 2020, 01:53:10 AM
It does get a bit complicated, and there's no hard and fast rule, but it tends to be the origin of the production company that determines the 'nationality' of the film in those kinds of calculations. But LOTR should probably be considered a NZ/US production, because the film relied heavily on the resources of the existing NZ film industry, including pretty much the whole crew.

The same goes for most films really - I wouldn't know how to assign "the" country to something like Star War (to pick just one example) where the cast are predominantly non-British, but a lot of the backlots and VFX departments are British. I learned recently that to be eligible for a Best Picture Golden Globe more than 50% of the spoken words need to be in English, so perhaps a less arbitrary thing would be that a film's nationality is the citizenship held by a plurality of people credited. LoTR would surely be Kiwi by that reckoning.

Blumf

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 14, 2020, 11:40:39 PM
I learned recently that to be eligible for a Best Picture Golden Globe more than 50% of the spoken words need to be in English

Rules out The Passion of the Christ?

Famous Mortimer

The same goes for most films really - I wouldn't know how to assign "the" country to something like Star War (to pick just one example) where the cast are predominantly non-British, but a lot of the backlots and VFX departments are British. I learned recently that to be eligible for a Best Picture Golden Globe more than 50% of the spoken words need to be in English, so perhaps a less arbitrary thing would be that a film's nationality is the citizenship held by a plurality of people credited. LoTR would surely be Kiwi by that reckoning.
It might well be, but that's not the rule, is it? I'm sorry, I can't figure out if you're suggesting a better system or trying to describe the current one.

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2020, 01:48:08 AM
It would have been fucking amazing if Gary Glitter won an oscar.

The Academy didn't blink when they gave Polanski the nod.  #maketheoscarsglitter

The only citizenship which matters when determining country of origin is what nationality the money is. This is why the Harry Potter movies are considered UK/US co-productions, yet Star Wars (mainly British cast, British crew, British studio sets etc) isn't.  Star Wars wasn't British-produced.

LOTR is normally considered a NZ/US production as the production companies involved were based in those two countries.