Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your CaB Story

Started by a peepee tipi, January 14, 2020, 01:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

I joined in 2005. I don't remember posting much until I started uni in 2007, then started getting involved in CaB Radio/the chatroom and made some friends. I even hosted a show once. When I moved to London in 2016, I went to a podcasting event put on by dr_christian_troy, where I met a few Cabbers who have come to be "real" friends and also and more importantly I met Braintree who is now my partner who live with and everything.

I've gone through periods where I don't read the forums quite as thoroughly as I once did, but I always check in at some point.

Quote from: tookish on January 15, 2020, 12:17:16 AM
Lurked here for a bit, made one post under a different account, felt attacked by the responses, fucked off again in a flounce. Then hpmons mentioned it to me so I joined up again.

[tag]Tookish mentions her starters[/tag]

weekender

weekender joined CookdAndBombd in 1999, as member #22. 

Showing his massive narcissism from the start, his first post was something along the lines of "What are the pictures by everyone's name, and can I choose mine please?".

Over the next few years he proved invaluable to developing the forum in its early years, by being an absolute twat when it came to correcting spelling and punctuation errors, as well as demanding that obvious trolls should be banned at every opportunity.  He also took great delight in pointing out everyone else's flaws, taking a particular interest in telling a particularly annoying twat known as Collaterly Sisters why they were a particularly annoying twat.  He takes great delight in knowing that this person is still posting and is still a twat, albeit not that much of an annoying one.  Sometimes.

He also made the occasional interesting posts about music, comedy and films, but all of these have been lost to time in the Great Board Crash of 2004, which he continues to deny having any involvement with (mainly on the grounds that it was nothing to do with him).

In the early years he was also known, on occasion, to leave his flat and actually attend meets, at which people were surprised to find that the real person allegedly behind the weekender character was actually a surprisingly nice and also extremely sexy person, one memorable person saying "This is boring, let's go and play on the fruities for a bit until more people turn up" "I've only been speaking to you for 10 minutes and you've already made me wet".  The context of this incident was technically that he'd knocked a drink over someone, but it's how weekender chooses to interpret it that's important.

Never one to shy away from an argument in the interests of drunken shits and giggles (his own, mainly), weekender gradually grew a reputation in his own mind for being a real hard man sitting behind a keyboard making bollocks up, whom everyone on the forum secretly loved although none of them were brave enough to admit it.

Despite accusations to the contrary, weekender has only ever received one temporary ban from the forum.  He can't remember what this was for, but he thinks it might have been for calling forum member #1 a very rude (negative), albeit creative and racist (both positives), name.  He has, in fact, had many more flounces than bans, all of which have been the result of one poster's deluded ramblings.

He still participates in the forum although arguably contributes less and less these days, instead preferring to spend his time just reading about why Chris Chibnall is shit, and what wrestling he should watch.

weekender is single, and lives in a flat on his own in Walsall.  He is open to a 'friends with benefits' arrangement with any of the female members of the forum, and would like to point out that we wouldn't even have to be friends.

Ferris

Quote from: weekender on January 15, 2020, 01:24:02 PM
weekender joined CookdAndBombd in 1999, as member #22. 

Showing his massive narcissism from the start, his first post was something along the lines of "What are the pictures by everyone's name, and can I choose mine please?".

Over the next few years he proved invaluable to developing the forum in its early years, by being an absolute twat when it came to correcting spelling and punctuation errors, as well as demanding that obvious trolls should be banned at every opportunity.  He also took great delight in pointing out everyone else's flaws, taking a particular interest in telling a particularly annoying twat known as Collaterly Sisters why they were a particularly annoying twat.  He takes great delight in knowing that this person is still posting and is still a twat, albeit not that much of an annoying one.  Sometimes.

He also made the occasional interesting posts about music, comedy and films, but all of these have been lost to time in the Great Board Crash of 2004, which he continues to deny having any involvement with (mainly on the grounds that it was nothing to do with him).

In the early years he was also known, on occasion, to leave his flat and actually attend meets, at which people were surprised to find that the real person allegedly behind the weekender character was actually a surprisingly nice and also extremely sexy person, one memorable person saying "This is boring, let's go and play on the fruities for a bit until more people turn up" "I've only been speaking to you for 10 minutes and you've already made me wet".  The context of this incident was technically that he'd knocked a drink over someone, but it's how weekender chooses to interpret it that's important.

Never one to shy away from an argument in the interests of drunken shits and giggles (his own, mainly), weekender gradually grew a reputation in his own mind for being a real hard man sitting behind a keyboard making bollocks up, whom everyone on the forum secretly loved although none of them were brave enough to admit it.

Despite accusations to the contrary, weekender has only ever received one temporary ban from the forum.  He can't remember what this was for, but he thinks it might have been for calling forum member #1 a very rude (negative), albeit creative and racist (both positives), name.  He has, in fact, had many more flounces than bans, all of which have been the result of one poster's deluded ramblings.

He still participates in the forum although arguably contributes less and less these days, instead preferring to spend his time just reading about why Chris Chibnall is shit, and what wrestling he should watch.

weekender is single, and lives in a flat on his own in Walsall.  He is open to a 'friends with benefits' arrangement with any of the female members of the forum, and would like to point out that we wouldn't even have to be friends.

A fellow Walsall native?

weekender

Christ no, I don't actually live in Walsall, it's a shithole.  That's just an in-joke that someone started years ago.

weekender

I'm sure the part of Walsall that you're in is very nice, as long as that part is the 'outside of'.

mrpupkin

Made up a shit name and started writing a load of shit.

weekender

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not that bad a username.

Barry Admin

1 temp ban? Damn, I still remember some of your antics, like the tsunami shitstorm, and the racist thread I eventually removed years later as it was still getting people wanting to reply to it. Amazing to think I let that one go at the time.

weekender

I did try and apologise for some of my antics in that brief moment when we actually met, but I think you were busy diffusing an actual situation at the time, not an internet one.

Barry Admin

Oh right, I remember someone getting very annoyed and I had to irl moderate a bit :-)

weekender

Amazingly, on that occasion it had nothing to do with something I'd said, either.

Cloud

Heard about it from someone who used to post on the same forum as me (dogbomb)

Didn't fit in, annoyed people, got called a few things, fucked off

Still lurk though and keep getting tempted by the FF7 thread.

popcorn

I read the Something Awful forums for years (and posted some right embarrassing shite). But one thing I know wasn't embarrassing shite: when Arrested Development season 4 came out I posted some analysis of a joke that I didn't think worked, and it prompted a page of people posting things like "popcorn is a literal baby and needs jokes explained to him jfc".

So I posted the same thing here and it generated several thoughtful replies from people who agreed or disagreed, or had completely different interpretations, or whatever. Overall the message seemed to be "we are not such a bunch of shouting youtubers here, and it's ok to think about nerdy things in detail".

So I like it here, apart from Ferris's posts.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: tookish on January 15, 2020, 04:06:20 AM
Oh, mate.

Mate.

In the words of right-wing philosopher Geri Halliwell, "I'd rather be hated than pitied".

poo

Norton Canes

Not sure why I ended up here to be honest. My first post was about Smashie and Nicey's 'End of an Era' so I guess I must have been Googling around to see what people thought of it.

That was almost ten years ago.

Mister Six

Quote from: popcorn on January 14, 2020, 01:53:23 PM
Oh yes that was my story (here). It's very nice to discover, by chance, someone saying they enjoyed it so thank you very much.

Have you sold that on somewhere? It's not just funny, but also tremendously well written. You should see if you can flog it to Rock Paper Shotgun or somewhere at the very least.

PowerButchi

H-O-W-L

Have lurked since 2015. Came across the site when I googled some shit show I was rewatching, can't remember. Remember finding this dowdy little shitbox forum full of cunts who spoke in an incomprehensible slang language with terms like "S4C" and the like.

Thought they were all snobbish arseholes. And now I am one!

No, really, that was my first impression. Dunno what made me lurk beyond that. Maybe the sneaking doubt that they were right that what I was re-watching (whatever it was, I can't even remember) was shit. Then the Deerk thread got me hooked.

Ferris

Quote from: weekender on January 15, 2020, 01:31:46 PM
I'm sure the part of Walsall that you're in is very nice, as long as that part is the 'outside of'.

I left Walsall aged 17 and haven't been back into town since. I live 5,000 miles away now which is just about far enough.

Mister Six

Oh, yeah, CaB story. Almost TWENTY CHRISTING YEARS AGO, FUCK, while I was at uni, an online acquaintance contacted me with a shocked-sounding message saying "we" had been tricked over some notorious Mary Whitehouse type figure.

I had no idea what he was talking about; turned out it was some prank played by someone - Neil, the SOTCAA crew? - on here, pretending this person had it in for Chris Morris, or something. I started poking about on here under another, shitter usename. Re-registered under a better one after the big forum wipe in 2004 or whenever. Have been around since then, mostly just enjoying the daftness, passion and (mostly) loveliness of the people on here. But at least it gives me an outlet for my furious, 50,000-word Doctor Who screeds so nobody in real life needs to know what a fucking spong I am.

Sorry, not funny or interesting. But at least I'm consistent in that regard.

Quote from: popcorn on January 15, 2020, 02:39:14 PM
I read the Something Awful forums for years (and posted some right embarrassing shite). But one thing I know wasn't embarrassing shite: when Arrested Development season 4 came out I posted some analysis of a joke that I didn't think worked, and it prompted a page of people posting things like "popcorn is a literal baby and needs jokes explained to him jfc".

What was the joke? Enquiring minds, etc.

Pingers

Quote from: Mister Six on January 15, 2020, 04:01:38 PM

Sorry, not funny or interesting. But at least I'm consistent in that regard.

Reliably readable imo (or 'ridiculously teacakes' if I'd let the predictive text have its wicked way)

no_offenc

Joined after the Brass Eye special in 2001, was a bell end that people probably didn't like much, eventually dropped off the radar but have been lurking like a mother for the last couple of years after I started missing the place.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Joined 2005 - posted lots of nonsense during a massive depressive episode for 18 months, then started getting better so posting tailed off. Lurked for a bit. Now just mostly post shit photoshops of Simon Cowell's face.

kittens

been here 10 years last october. no story. started posting maybe 5 years ago when i was drunk and continued doing so sober. been to some meets and had a fine time. made friends with people and alienated some others. if anyone else would like to be my friend just let me know. the induction process is notoriously rigorous but once you're in the benefits speak for themselves.

Bazooka

I came here looking for nude felt tip drawings of the members, not seen one yet, but come back hoping to strike gold one day.

NoOffenceLynn

I came here on the recommendation of Shakin' Stevens.

And it has indeed been "lovely stuff".

imitationleather

I joined purely to gain access to the top secret members' only fanny batter recipe sub-forum.