Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:17:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Will the Tory party do well? [Split topic]

Started by holyzombiejesus, January 14, 2020, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: colacentral on February 11, 2020, 11:11:01 PM

The good news is that Brexit is wholly the Conservatives' albatross to carry now.

For years on this forum we've heard these placating words, like a soothing balm. NONE OF IT HAS MADE ANY DIFFERENCE AND OFTEN PROVEN FALSE.

Much better to post that AFTER THEIR DESTRUCTION (If ever).

FUCK ORACLES

Cuellar

Lots of Tories On Twitter, or at least people who said they voted Tory, very upset that Ofcom will be regulating social media.

'They're gonna be a one term government - watch the polls tank'

Fucking  lol

colacentral

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2020, 08:02:17 AM
For years on this forum we've heard these placating words, like a soothing balm. NONE OF IT HAS MADE ANY DIFFERENCE AND OFTEN PROVEN FALSE.

Much better to post that AFTER THEIR DESTRUCTION (If ever).

FUCK ORACLES

The point being that it will become a past tense subject, not a future tense magic button to press which will fix all of the UK's problems. The Brexit conversation will shift from "should we make Britain great again with Brexit?" to "what did you all think of Brexit? Good was it?" The Tories will be in a position of having to explain it. It changes the dynamic of how the next election will be fought.

And for the umpteenth time, the global economy is teetering on the brink of a bigger collapse than 2008.The Tories being in power during that will destroy their biggest weapon against Labour.

People have been saying it for years because it's true. Brexit bought a few more years but even if its failure will be blamed on something else, there is no magic button referendum issue to come and replace it and be used as a carrot the way Brexit was with "Get Brexit Done."

bgmnts

How can people keep deluding themselves like this thinking its all going to be alright? I get it's probably still alright for them so despair doesn't hit fully but cmon.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: colacentral on February 12, 2020, 02:38:10 PM
Oh, and go fuck yourself you rude miserable cunt.

You asked for it with your "wiser than thou" preddos.

That goes for all wannabe Nostros

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: colacentral on February 12, 2020, 02:36:53 PM
The point being that it will become a past tense subject, not a future tense magic button to press which will fix all of the UK's problems. The Brexit conversation will shift from "should we make Britain great again with Brexit?" to "what did you all think of Brexit? Good was it?" The Tories will be in a position of having to explain it. It changes the dynamic of how the next election will be fought.

And for the umpteenth time, the global economy is teetering on the brink of a bigger collapse than 2008.The Tories being in power during that will destroy their biggest weapon against Labour.

People have been saying it for years because it's true. Brexit bought a few more years but even if its failure will be blamed on something else, there is no magic button referendum issue to come and replace it and be used as a carrot the way Brecir was with "Get Brexit Done."

Why do you think the media will suddenly start reporting on these things fairly? Why do you think the Tories need a "magic button referendum issue"? Did the far-right governments that have won power all over the world in the last decade need those to win?

Let's just say every baseless supposition in your post comes to pass. What's the alternative going to be? Will Labour suggest we rejoin the EU? Have another referendum? It looks like their new leadership will be substantially to the right of Corbyn. What are they going to offer that'll get people to vote for them? Will the people who went out knocking on doors for Corbyn be as enthused by Jane Centrist, and if not how do you anticipate Labour winning a majority in Parliament?

colacentral

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 12, 2020, 02:47:30 PM
You asked for it with your "wiser than thou" preddos.

That goes for all wannabe Nostros

You, and Paul Calf and others are doing the same thing with your doom and gloom, predicting an eternity of Tory rule. How is that any different? How does your nihilism help anyone?

May I remind you that the thread title is "will the Tory party do well?" to which I'm giving an answer, that being a "preddo" as the answer hasn't fucking happened yet.

"Wiser than thou." It's an honest opinion and a reason to stay optimistic.

Quote from: bgmnts on February 12, 2020, 02:40:11 PM
How can people keep deluding themselves like this thinking its all going to be alright? I get it's probably still alright for them so despair doesn't hit fully but cmon.

Was this aimed at me too? I don't think five years of Tory rule is going to be alright obviously. We're talking about beyond that. Why even be part of a political party if you think there's no point?

colacentral

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 12, 2020, 02:54:22 PM
Why do you think the media will suddenly start reporting on these things fairly? Why do you think the Tories need a "magic button referendum issue"? Did the far-right governments that have won power all over the world in the last decade need those to win?

Let's just say every baseless supposition in your post comes to pass. What's the alternative going to be? Will Labour suggest we rejoin the EU? Have another referendum? It looks like their new leadership will be substantially to the right of Corbyn. What are they going to offer that'll get people to vote for them? Will the people who went out knocking on doors for Corbyn be as enthused by Jane Centrist, and if not how do you anticipate Labour winning a majority in Parliament?

Again, you're having a dig at me for "baseless suppositions" when the title of the thread is inviting speculation and there are alot of posts in this thread predicting an eternity of Tory wins based on nothing but emotion.

Far-right governments have won around the world; there have also been historic left-wing gains and wins.

The Tories need a catchy culture defining cause like Brexit because it boils complicated issues down into a binary with us or against us mentality. Maybe another one could be manufactured but I don't see it.

Your second paragraph about Labour - obviously I'm supporting RLB and I'm working on the hope that she will win. Even if it ends up being Starmer I'll hope we can weather it and keep him in check. I think they would be insane to float EU referendums as an idea and for that reason I'm choosing to believe they wouldn't.

These are just my opinions, but I shouldn't have to add that as a disclaimer. This is a speculation thread.

colacentral

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 12, 2020, 02:54:22 PM

Which parts by the way are "baseless supposition"? Brexit will become a past tense issue, as in we have left the EU. The global economy will crash - plenty of evidence for this. The only prediction I can see you having an issue with is how this will affect the Tories. The media are biased and people are stupid but strength on the economy is the myth the Tories' campaigns are traditionally fought on.

BlodwynPig

In an hour i will be with the minister for business innovation and skills, Chris Skidmore, what shall i do with him?

Norton Canes

Tell him his job doesn't exist? Might want to break it gently. Also ask him what the fuck he's actually been doing.

BlodwynPig

I wondered why the acronym was BEIS! Thanks, you avoided a faux pas!

BlodwynPig

idunnosomename

pull his dick off and shove it up his arse

chveik

BlodwynPig

Ive left and just made the earlier train in a mad sweat thanks to security refusing to give me my bag because i lost my cloakroom ticket. The head of news at New Scientist, though!!!

Cloud

Found the secret to what's going on

SLITHEEN

you'll know when she starts farting.

idunnosomename

don't worry everyone, Queen Marina has written a SKEWERING column in the guardian and Twitter is ablaze! It doesn't look good for Boris!

Mister Six

Quote from: colacentral on February 12, 2020, 02:36:53 PM

Isn't the usual process in Western countries:

1- right-leaning governments run everything into the ground
2- left-leaning governments step in to piece things back together/come in just as the right's history of shit decisions causes everything to come crashing down
3- left-leaning governments then get blamed for what the right did even as everything improves
4- thick cunt voters then rebel against left-leaning government and bring in the right to repeat the cycle all over again

?

Mr_Simnock

Have some posts been deleted from this thread? I must be having a mandella effect moment.

chveik

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Mister Six on February 19, 2020, 05:15:12 PM
Isn't the usual process in Western countries:

1- right-leaning governments run everything into the ground
2- left-leaning governments step in to piece things back together/come in just as the right's history of shit decisions causes everything to come crashing down
3- left-leaning governments then get blamed for what the right did even as everything improves
4- thick cunt voters then rebel against left-leaning government and bring in the right to repeat the cycle all over again

?

Yes, people go towards authoritarianism during crises. 

derek stitt

Does Dominic Cummings look like nazi war criminal Oskar Dirlewagner?

Paul Calf

^ That's where the Labour Party should be now - helping people who've been fucked by this government.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on February 20, 2020, 03:30:32 PM
https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1230157681433989121

I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

Fuck off.

He's named Haddock, just pour a big bag of Lidl salt in the floodwater and he'd be happy as Larry

The only bed he's lying in now is a river bed! lol!