Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:09:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gritty Drama ( Or, Indeed, Crime Drama)

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 14, 2020, 01:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

This week, I have mainly been watching the gritty drama serial " Rillington Place" , originally broadcast on BBC 1 roundabout Nov.2016 ( dunno if there was a thread on it on 'ere at the time), but which had up to now eluded mine viewing pleasure. It was heartily recommended to me last year by a friend who shares my interest in gritty drama ( " you'll like this drama, Lisa" he said " It's ever so gritty, especially the second episode where you see a fair bit of grittiness").
Indeed, with glum Glasgow standing in for wartime Notting Hill, you can see a right load of grittiness, with the dwellings of yer man Christie looking suitably grim. Tim Roth gave good grit with his Psycho Alan Bennet accent and frighteningly accurate Christie resemblance, whilst Samantha Morton playing his missus showed grittiness of a stoic sort, although she also reminds me of the actress Rosie Cavaliero, so there were times when I thought she might come out with a bit of comedy gurning, which would have taken me out of the grittiness a bit. A grand old performance from the actor playing the thick welsh/cockney accent- alternating git who lived above the Christies too, and ended up getting hung for killing his missus and his daughter when he'd done no such thing, the poor feller.
Anyway, the perfect Post- Christmas Bleak Midwinter Gritty/ Crime Drama
Viewing  7/10 , would watch for grittiness again.
What do people on ' ere think of gritty drama?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I always get Samantha Morton mixed up with Emily Mortimer ( and  indeed, Rosie Cavaliero) , for which you cant blame me, ftfm now.

gilbertharding

I think that the current Sunday evening drama Christine Keeler and the Bad Men is probably aiming for gritty, but it's insufficiently grim, so fails to hit its mark. Perhaps it will get grittier as the story progresses.

The 1970 film with David Attenborough and John Hurt is great.

Norton Canes

Trouble with telly these days is that no matter how hard the drama series makers try to scuzz things up, nothing filmed in ultra-crisp 4 trillion pixel HD will ever look gritty.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 14, 2020, 02:37:11 PM
Trouble with telly these days is that no matter how hard the drama series makers try to scuzz things up, nothing filmed in ultra-crisp 4 trillion pixel HD will ever look gritty.

Rillington Place did, you could practically smell the damp, mould and cadavers under the floorboards. It proper reeked, so it did.

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 14, 2020, 02:13:52 PM

It's magnificent, unbeatable, but the TV adaptation Lisa quite rightly recommended is worth watching as a companion piece.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on January 14, 2020, 02:13:52 PM

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 14, 2020, 03:17:32 PM
It's magnificent, unbeatable

I can't watch it now I know some of it was filmed in a zoo.

chveik

congrats to Lisa for not mentionning that Jodie Comer is in this!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: chveik on January 14, 2020, 03:36:23 PM
congrats to Lisa for not mentionning that Jodie Comer is in this!

That would certainly make it a "Pretty" drama!!!!

I turn 53 tomorrow, for fuck's sake

Viero_Berlotti

Hugo Blick's Neo-noir crime drama 'The Shadow Line' from 2011 is an excellent TV series that often gets overlooked and is due a reappraisal. It doesn't seem to be widely available on the streams though.

There's a trailer on YouTube that is shit (makes it look like an episode of The Bill), so I won't link to it.

chveik

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on January 14, 2020, 11:45:51 PM
Hugo Blick's Neo-noir crime drama 'The Shadow Line' from 2011 is an excellent TV series that often gets overlooked and is due a reappraisal. It doesn't seem to be widely available on the streams though.

it's still on dailymotion

Viero_Berlotti

Mobius

Shadow Line is fucking brilliant yeah.

Does Happy Valley count? It's gritty but set in countryside..

chveik