Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Matt Morgan - Funny How? Podcast

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, January 14, 2020, 03:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Saw it mentioned in the podcast thread but thought it probably deserved a thread of its own.

First episode of Matt Morgan's new solo podcast out with wrinkly rocker Noel Gallagher.

First ep is a bit light on the comedy analysis but assume that will improve in later episodes with comedian guests.

Small mention of Chris Morris with the nice nugget that Champagne Supernova was considered instead of Dancing in the Moonlight in Four Lions

Sin Agog

Not sure the world needs another podcast analysing 'the science of laughter,' but this is Matt Morgan so ta for the heads up!

Leo2112

Only just realized that the Russell Brand Radio X thing is no more (I've had the podcasts for that queued for ages without getting round to them).  Any story to that or was it just meant to be a short-term return?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Leo2112 on January 14, 2020, 07:33:11 PM
Only just realized that the Russell Brand Radio X thing is no more (I've had the podcasts for that queued for ages without getting round to them).  Any story to that or was it just meant to be a short-term return?

The last episode was the live one with Brian Cox, wasn't it?  I recall Matt was as surprised as anyone when Russell suddenly declared it would be the last episode forevers. I get the vibe that Russ found it increasingly hard to square it with his new beardy image, even though having yer mates around to disabuse you of your jibber-jabber is obviously way more spiritually cleansing than spouting bromides on youtube.

Leo2112

Thanks for that.  I don't rate this guru Brand.  The Trews had their flaws but he could still come out with some decent insight when he covered politics back then.  Compare and contrast with this nonsense that he put out just before the 2019 election - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiRRJU0kU5Y

SteveDave

Who knew that Noelly G's favourite ever comedy thing was Seinfeld?

Sin Agog

Quote from: SteveDave on January 15, 2020, 09:47:45 PM

That's been the main source of his and his brother's ongoing rift.  Liam's really, really into Frasier, you see.

jofo

So Far so good, but Matt has done things with Noel before. They could chat about anything and it would be entertaining.
I think Gordon Smart is going to be on it at some point, who Matt did a couple of Drivetime shows with.  They worked ok together but Gordon was a bit of a knob. Could be because he use to work for the S*N or because it was the drive time slot and that how all Dj's are.

I am looking forward to him having people on that he hasn't worked publicly with before.
He hasn't been the most confident interviewer in the past.

Utter Shit

Quote from: SteveDave on January 15, 2020, 09:47:45 PM

And to the point that he pretty much wouldn't shut up about it! I really enjoyed that chat, nice to see a side of Noel's sense of humour other than the slightly snidey sarcasm.

The idea of Noel Gallagher liking Friends just seems completely impossible to me.

Dusty Substance

Yeah, rather enjoyed the first episode of Funny How?. As mentioned, another podcast analysis wasn't exactly needed but I could listen to Matt and Noel talking about stuff forever.

It's no coincidence that the two of them bond when they're both former writers for charismatic ego-maniac performers.

I listened on the Radio X website - Did anyone else experience audio issues where it twice skipped back about two minutes and repeated dialogue?

arpster

cheers for the heads up...always had a soft spot for old Matt

Dusty Substance

I binge listened to six episodes of this over the last couple of days. They're good but for a show called "Funny How" which is meant to get into comedy, there's no all that much comedy chat. Still enjoyable though, despite a couple of frustrating moments when Matt or his guest struggle to remember something that the average CABber will be screaming out loud (Peter Sellers, Geoffrey from Rainbow, Galton And Simpson).

The latest episode is a Corona lock down special where it's just Matt answering questions submitted by the listeners. He talks a bit about working on the 6Music/Radio 2 show and touches upon some interesting areas which I'd not heard him talk about before. Next week's promises to be something of a Sitcom Writing Tutorial, which could well be a good listen. He promises to have Brand on the show some time soon, too.

Dusty Substance

Noel Gallagher does a very funny club singer impression of Leonard Cohen on the latest episode.

SteveDave

The part where Matt told Noel that the Daily Mail had quoted him about wiping his arse on his children if he ran out of toilet roll was fucking hilarious on the latest podcast.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: SteveDave on April 21, 2020, 07:58:27 AM
The part where Matt told Noel that the Daily Mail had quoted him about wiping his arse on his children if he ran out of toilet roll was fucking hilarious on the latest podcast.

Yes! A very funny moment. I can't remember the last time I liked a song by Noelly G (Importance Of Being Idle, probably) but he's made me laugh more over the last 12 or so years than a lot of professional comics.

The previous episode of Funny How was a good one, too. Matt talks about his comedy writing process and, even though he's written a show that had had two seasons and is a constant script polisher for other successful shows (more than the majority of aspiring comedy writers will ever achieve), he essentially kind of admits that he doesn't really know what he's doing but knows where to take things when he thinks of an idea.

As an example of finding influence for comedy characters in every day life he reads out a story called My Tornado Hell by journalist Caroline Phillips. I'd not heard it before and was guffawing at the astonishing use of language and hyperbole.

Old CABBERs might already be aware of it as this thread is one of the top results on Google: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=15486.0

Hat FM

maybe matt morgan is on c&b? he recently shaved his head. trying to fit in?

SteveDave

I would not shed a tear if Noel Gallagher put his guitar away forever and just produced content with Matt Morgan until his death. This weeks Funny How was fantastic.

iamcoop

Were you lot listening to a different podcast to me? I had to turn off the Noel one after about five minutes because the audio was so bad..

SteveDave

Yes I was listening to a very special podcast that was sent exclusively to me.

Most recent Noel one was excellent, audio a lot better as well.