Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:44:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glasgow Comedy Festival 2020

Started by Malcy, January 14, 2020, 05:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Brochure is out for this year's festival. A bit underwhelmed with what's on. The only definite so far is Paul Sinha which was booked months ago. Wouldn't mind seeing Rab Florence & Iain Connell's Uncles show and maybe Arabella Weir as well.

Apart from that I think I'll just pick a couple of days to pop in and go to whatever's on around the place on that day.

Brochure on the website. www.glasgowcomedyfestival.com

Sebastian Cobb

only had a quick skim but Elanor Tiernan is always worth a pop. Will probably go to Tony Law as well.

hummingofevil

I almost certainly won't make any of these but if I was living in Glasgow the shows I would check out are:

- Alex Edelman***
- Ashley Storrie****
- Ben Target***
- Ben Van Der Velde****
- Catherine Bohart
- Damien Clark****
- Jordan Brookes***
- Emma Sidi****
- Helen Duff****
- Olga Koch**
- Rosie Jones**
- Sam Nicoresti****
- Sarah Keyworth
- Sean Morley***
- Sophie Duker x2****
- Sunil Patel****
- The Glang Show***
- Tom Parry**
- Tony Law**
- Trevor Noah***

**Seen the show they doing and is ace.
***Seen previous hours and enjoyed. 
****Seen bits of and would definiely want to check a full hour

**Is probably my highest recommendation. :)

Blinder Data

My itinerary:

-Jordan Brookes
-Fern Brady & Alfie Brown
-Tony Law

The Brady/Brown double-header is for a recording. I've not seen either of them live before so I really hope I like them, otherwise their glitzy stand-up film will be full of close-up shots of my grimacing mug.

Malcy

I caught 5 mins of Fern Brady on TV once and I absolutely detested her from the off. The audience were falling about laughing but I thought she was utter shite. Her shows often seem to be sold out pretty quick though so maybe it's just me!

Think I'll stick Tony Law on the list. Sounds like it could be a fun show. I also like the sound of this.

EDY HURST'S COMEDY VERSION OF JEFF WAYNE'S MUSICAL VERSION OF H.G. WELL'S LITERARY VERSION (VIA ORSON WELLES' RADIO VERSION) OF "THE WAR OF THE WORLDS"

ProvanFan

Blinder Data

This starts TONIGHT. Who is excited

Malcy

Quote from: Blinder Data on March 12, 2020, 10:53:43 AM
This starts TONIGHT. Who is excited

I'm totally broke so not me anymore! Paul Sinha next Thursday which will be good but that's all I'll be going to probably.

I have a £30 voucher for The Stand so might try see Darren Connell & Chris Forbes if I can scrape together train and subway fares!

Wondering if anything will be cancelled due to fear of the Coronavirus.

lipsink

I'm doing a show but I'm not sure if the festival is going to end up being cancelled a week or so in.

Malcy

Quote from: lipsink on March 12, 2020, 12:10:41 PM
I'm doing a show but I'm not sure if the festival is going to end up being cancelled a week or so in.

Have the venue said anything about the possibility of cancellations?

lipsink

Quote from: Malcy on March 12, 2020, 03:35:38 PM
Have the venue said anything about the possibility of cancellations?

No, they haven't been in touch with me yet. My show isn't till late in the run. Though I have spoken to a few comics that have had cancellations from other venues (not part of the festival, just regular gigs) and a fairly big venue today (again not part of the festival) emailed comics advising that there may be cancellations in the next month and any gigs that there are to think about maybe not shaking hands with acts and not touching audience members (hur hur) etc.

lipsink

A few shows already rescheduled and cancelled due to the performers having the symptoms or just worrying about the situation. No big names though just yet.

Malcy

Quote from: lipsink on March 12, 2020, 09:06:21 PM
A few shows already rescheduled and cancelled due to the performers having the symptoms or just worrying about the situation. No big names though just yet.

Yeah just seen tonight's show at the Stand is cancelled. I think after today's events that it will be happening a fair bit unfortunately.

Captain Crunch

What's the capacity of The Stand in Glasgow? I've seen a few theatre shows get cancelled today but no small venues.

Malcy

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 12, 2020, 09:43:03 PM
What's the capacity of The Stand in Glasgow? I've seen a few theatre shows get cancelled today but no small venues.

Blinder Data

Jordan Brookes tomorrow has been cancelled which is a shame. The Alfie Brown/Fern Brady show seems to be going ahead on Sunday so I don't know how they are making these decisions, seeing as that will have a bigger audience...?

Malcy

Rab Florence & Iain Connell have cancelled their Uncles show as well. I tweeted Paul Sinha to see if his show is going ahead but no reply from him or The Stand. Their FB page says business as usual.

Malcy

Just checked my emails and the BAFTA Guru event has been cancelled as well. Was looking forward to that since I wasn't getting to much shows at the festival this year.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Captain Crunch on March 12, 2020, 09:43:03 PM

Stiff Little Fingers at the Barrowlands has been shunted to August.

Blinder Data

Alfie Brown was quite good and Fern Brady was good. Look out for the back of my sexy balding head on Netflix soon!

Let's hope Tony Law this weekend isn't cancelled :/

Malcy

The King's & Pavillion have both closed. I'm sure there's a few festival shows on at the King's at least.

Malcy

Frankie Boyle's WIP's for the festival cancelled at The Stand.

Malcy

Tonights shows at the Stand have been cancelled. They said they are making an announcement tomorrow regarding the rest. Think it's likely that they will just cancel the lot.

Malcy

As expected the Festival is pretty much over. the Oran Mor has cancelled 5 shows for this week and The Stand are about to announce the same.

Hope it's back with a bang next year. (The festival, not the virus).

lipsink

Tony Law said his show is still going ahead (for now) but reckon he'll cancel it real soon.

My show is next Thursday and I'm definitely gonna cancel. Not even thinking about putting it on.

Malcy

Quote from: lipsink on March 17, 2020, 01:00:49 PM
Tony Law said his show is still going ahead (for now) but reckon he'll cancel it real soon.

My show is next Thursday and I'm definitely gonna cancel. Not even thinking about putting it on.

Better off I think. Hope you get to do it sometime soon.