Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:01:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"Bung a bob for Big Ben's bongs" [split topic] [merged]

Started by Huxleys Babkins, January 14, 2020, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

So is the Tory strategy of spouting silly phrases for the media to fascinate over helping them in having reduced scrutiny?

Mister Six

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mister Six on January 17, 2020, 07:25:30 PM
Jesus Christ, I loathe England.
back of the queue

Haha queue ive dropped my balls in my tea now theres pubes on my hob nob

This seems a pretty good assessment:

Quote from: https://politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/01/17/week-in-review-the-madness-over-big-ben-s-bongs-is-a-symbol
The bongs are not just nonsense. They are nonsense as a depository for political thought which might otherwise go in dangerous directions - namely, scrutinising the government.

It also revealed how the prime minister intends to communicate with the public through this period. He will do so according to a time-honoured and highly successful method: he will lie.

"We're working up a plan so that people can bung a bob for a Big Ben bong," he said on Tuesday. "We're looking at whether the public can fund it."

The whole thing then fell apart very quickly, with fundraising efforts thwarted by the confirmation from parliamentary authorities that they couldn't accept public money in this way. And then suddenly the 'bung a bob' campaign changed.

"This is a matter for the House, they have indicated they will not accept the money were the public to fund raise for this," the prime minister's spokesperson said. "The PM is focused on the government's plans to mark 31 January."

It was extraordinary. The fundraising effort was the government's plans. The prime minister had literally just announced it himself 48 hours earlier. Now it was someone else's plan on the basis of its failure, or simply because he had decided against it.

On even the most trivial of issues, Johnson's words simply mean nothing. One moment he is asking for money, the next it has nothing to do with him. Reality flickers and changes within the blink of an eye. He might as well go full Soviet and edit himself out of the video where he'd made the original comments.

As the talks go on, this will be the approach - transforming fiendish economic trade-offs into culture war and relentless lying. Politically, it may well be successful. But in terms of the actual project, none of it will work. The talks, on the basis of Britain's existing approach, which shows almost no realism at all, look set to be a disaster. And who will then be blamed? Well, who else? Remainers.

"Remainer stitch up over Big Ben bongs," the Express screamed yesterday. A "Remainer plot" in parliament was responsible for the collapse of the plans, it breathlessly reported.

Project that out and you get a decent impression of how Brexiters will handle the next year of failure. Nothing will ever be their fault, even when they have complete control over the process and how it is handled. Everything is the fault of those with no political power at all.

Dex Sawash

I have a big fuckoff brass hammer, and am willing to bang the fuck out of a bells. Just fly me over for a few hours for under a grand and an extra 20 because I would like to try a Greggs.

king_tubby

Tightwad Brexit cunts can't even put their hands in their pockets to be patriotic enough to get Big Ben to bong for Brexit. It's a fucking disgrace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51271287

Captain Z

It's alright, they've given the cash to Squaddies on Quaddies instead.

Jittlebags

Get Boris to come down a zipline again. Waving a couple of Union Jacks, with his trousers round his ankles. That would say 'Brexit' to me.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Jittlebags on January 27, 2020, 09:01:39 PM
Get Boris to come down a zipline again. Waving a couple of Union Jacks, with his trousers round his ankles. That would say 'Brexit' to me.

Me too, especially if it cost 4 billion quid.

dissolute ocelot

I genuinely don't understand why drones aren't crashing into shit like this every day. You can buy them for £15 from China, surely if the pro-Big Ben cunts can raise £200,000, someone can spare £100 to pilot a toy plane into Westminster? I guess even Mulsimists have respect for some things, like the abstract concept of time.

Norton Canes

touchingcloth

Want clock go bong wah. Mummy mummy mummy. MUMMY. Want clock go bong WAAAAHHH

ajsmith2

Johnson has a dispassionately twee understanding of his electorate. If we were all replaced by Trumpton figurines overnight he wouldn't notice the difference.

idunnosomename

imagine now if the fbpe people crowdfund an enormous bong to symbolised how fuckin stoned the country is. and it convinces EVERYONE when it raises a gazillion pounds.

quick! we have 48 hours! TO STOP BREXIT!

Blue Jam

"If time is a drug then Big Ben is a giant needle injecting it into the sky"

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 29, 2020, 05:30:41 PM
imagine now if the fbpe people crowdfund an enormous bong to symbolised how fuckin stoned the country is. and it convinces EVERYONE when it raises a gazillion pounds.

People (my family, mainly) keep sending me stupid FBPE petitions to sign, even though the majority of the ones I see appear to be run as vanity projects for people on twitter to burnish their stupid FBPE credentials. Lots of fevered "WE CAN STOP BREXIT!!" and grandiose "clever" language misused by stupid people ("henceforth, we formally declare..." etc etc).

Snapped a bit the other day (not massively or in a mean way or anything, just "stop sending this stuff to me"). I'm good at humouring people, but even I have limits.

They don't seem to get I haven't lived in the uk for 10 years (you know, because I disliked it so much I left) so you can all do what you like and it is nothing to do with me, ARSED MATE, CIGS. "But your son is a British citizen" HE DOESN'T LIVE THERE EITHER, ARSED MATE, RUSKS.

Blumf

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 29, 2020, 05:30:41 PM

Just need to stab Boris to death with a large spaceship.

How's that for a bong hit!?

idunnosomename

that seems fine we'll go with that. for great justice