Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:49:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Infinite monkeys and typewriters (thought experiments)

Started by Ray Travez, January 15, 2020, 12:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Travez

I've never understood this one. Is the idea that the infinite monkeys will eventually type out the complete works of Shakespeare at random, presumably with myriad other attempts where Hamlet is called Pimlet or Romeo drives around in a Vauxhall Astra? Or is it that the monkeys will gradually evolve into societies, invent writing implements, ink and language, and write the complete works of Shakespeare with full comprehension?

Jerzy Bondov

Cuellar

Danger Man

The former.

And they'll write the complete works of Shakespeare an infinite number of times because that's how infinity works.

(I doubt I'll have to wait an infinite amount of time before somebody says I'm wrong)

Danger Man

This could be the thread where it really kicks off....

Paul Calf

Also:

There are as many odd numbers as there are even and odd numbers put together.

Buelligan

Deffo the first (though it took me an infinite number of attempts several goes to write this).  Hth.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 15, 2020, 01:00:37 PM
Also:

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Konki

But who cross references it with the actual Complete Works of Shakespeare to prove it's exactly the same and when do the copyright lawyers get involved?

Paul Calf

The monkeys are irrelevant. They just represent a random generator.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 15, 2020, 01:02:02 PM
What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Exactly what it says.

Konki

Also:

Nah.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 15, 2020, 01:02:26 PMExactly what it says.
I thought about it and I worked it out but it still seems like a needlessly provocative thing to say.

Cuellar

What if one day numbers just end? A mathematician just suddenly runs out of them halfway through a sum - "Oops!"

Well?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Cuellar on January 15, 2020, 01:05:11 PM
What if one day numbers just end? A mathematician just suddenly runs out of them halfway through a sum - "Oops!"

Well?
This would not happen.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Cuellar on January 15, 2020, 01:05:11 PM

Well?

We'll just ask the Chinese for some more.

Mister Six

Also:

Isn't it kind of the opposite? Not that there are as many of one as there are of the other, but that you can have different sizes of infinity?

Cuellar

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 15, 2020, 01:06:08 PM
We'll just ask the Chinese for some more.

But the mathematician in this scenario WAS chinese!!!

mrpupkin

The idea of a society composed of an infinite number of monkeys is a non-starter, frankly. It's just too many.

Jerzy Bondov

If you only had one monkey and one typewriter but he was capable of writing non-stop until he produced the Complete Works of Shakespeare, how long would he take?

SteK

Wasn't this experiment tried in a somewhat diluted attempt ie, no infinity?

A lot of monkeys anyway, and the only thing that looked like a word was 'Chumbawumba' - from which the eponymous band got their name.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on January 15, 2020, 01:09:15 PM
If you only had one monkey and one typewriter but he was capable of writing non-stop until he produced the Complete Works of Shakespeare, how long would he take?

Does he have a rudimentary understanding of Elizabethan English? (I know nothing about monkeys)

Neville Chamberlain

It'd take absolutely bloody ages - three or four years, I reckon!!

Danger Man

How many typewriter ribbons?

dissolute ocelot

About 10^8453721 years (that's 1 followed by 8453721 zeroes) according to this. But odds are your typing monkey would produce something significantly better than the Complete Works of Shakespeare long before it produced an exact copy.

Kryton

Kryton

Not being funny but if I had an infinite number of immortal monkeys I wouldn't be buggering around ripping off Shakespeare. I'd be robbing banks or something.

KennyMonster

My understanding of the Infinite monkies thing is a little different to the above.

"If you have an infinite number of monkies with an infinite number of typewriters they'll probably get mistaken for the joke writers of HIGNFY."