Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 10th Circle of Hell: Irish General Election 2020

Started by buttgammon, January 15, 2020, 01:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: peanutbutter on February 14, 2020, 07:19:10 PM
Feel like fine gael are getting a fierce easy ride since the election and outright refusing to go into government. If you brand yourself as the sensible responsible party it's 100% on you to be open to forming a government. They can rule out one of the other two big parties but they can't rule out both.

Same applies for FF, but if both refuse to deal with SF then it's on them both to work together.
To be totally fair to Fine Gael, they came in third.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on February 14, 2020, 06:58:10 PM
It's worrying that people overlook Ooh Ah Up the Ra because of a left-wing manifesto but what people want are affordable houses and no more old/sick people dying on trollies. The extremism we should worry about is Ooh Ah Up the Ra. We have to deal with Northern Ireland and we have to be respectful of the Unionists living there, like them or not.

Orange Bastards, sorry, Unionists, are probably having a little existential crisis at the moment. Basically, Brexit proved, and unequivocally shoved the proof in their collective faces, that the rest of the UK, and especially the Conservative and Unionist Party (to give BoJo's profiteering bastards their full title), does not care a jot about them and would cut them loose at the first opportunity if they could. Now they probably knew that deep down, but it was sufficiently in the background that they could pretend to ignore it. They kinda can't do that now that Johnson is putting a de facto customs border down the Irish Sea, and happily had said proposed border contribute to a collapse in his government so the media could win an election for him.

So what do they do now? There's no amount of special ethnic statuses and privileges around flags and parades that'll make being ruled by a "DUBLIN GOVERNMENT!" of any interest to them when they want to be British. NI is economically unviable in it's own right, so they have to just kind of put up with things and hope that Brexit doesn't fuck them too badly.

Trying to have a Border Poll under said circumstances will make us look like scheming Leprechauns trying to take advantage of Unionism's current problems, and is a surefire way to first of all, lose said Border Poll, and demolish any evolution in Northern Ireland's politics away from being a giant sectarian head count. They'll fall back into a neat little line of "No!!", no matter how badly Brexit goes.

Whilst I appreciate that a United Ireland is an explicitly stated goal of Sinn Fein, I'd expect a relatively capable politician like Mary Lou to know this and maybe shut the fuck up about it for a little while. But obviously not.

Inane ramble done.

rjd2

Martin is so desperate for the top job he will probably try and form an alliance with FG and Greens but he along with Leo surely know its the death of their respective parties if they are leading their parties once another election comes around.

On the immigration issue, I don't think its a major issue for Irish voters, their is definitely a biggish socially conservative but financially lefty voting bloc here who I assume vote for SF and FF. They just don't look at their policies on immigration in much depth.

Although you could argue in the more rural areas a dog whistle now and then hasn't exactly hurt some of the more outspoken indy's.

I'd also suggest to any party who wants to go down that road, at the very least hire a leader who scrubs up well. That Barrett chap could have the best policies in the world but just listen to him for more than 2 mins........

peanutbutter

Quote from: rjd2 on February 14, 2020, 09:01:57 PM
Although you could argue in the more rural areas a dog whistle now and then hasn't exactly hurt some of the more outspoken indy's.
Can confirm an absolute psycho got some votes from relatives of mine due to playing into a combo of racism and anti-SF sentiment.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 14, 2020, 08:25:57 PM
Orange Bastards, sorry, Unionists, are probably having a little existential crisis at the moment. Basically, Brexit proved, and unequivocally shoved the proof in their collective faces, that the rest of the UK, and especially the Conservative and Unionist Party (to give BoJo's profiteering bastards their full title), does not care a jot about them and would cut them loose at the first opportunity if they could. Now they probably knew that deep down, but it was sufficiently in the background that they could pretend to ignore it. They kinda can't do that now that Johnson is putting a de facto customs border down the Irish Sea, and happily had said proposed border contribute to a collapse in his government so the media could win an election for him.

So what do they do now? There's no amount of special ethnic statuses and privileges around flags and parades that'll make being ruled by a "DUBLIN GOVERNMENT!" of any interest to them when they want to be British. NI is economically unviable in it's own right, so they have to just kind of put up with things and hope that Brexit doesn't fuck them too badly.

Trying to have a Border Poll under said circumstances will make us look like scheming Leprechauns trying to take advantage of Unionism's current problems, and is a surefire way to first of all, lose said Border Poll, and demolish any evolution in Northern Ireland's politics away from being a giant sectarian head count. They'll fall back into a neat little line of "No!!", no matter how badly Brexit goes.

Whilst I appreciate that a United Ireland is an explicitly stated goal of Sinn Fein, I'd expect a relatively capable politician like Mary Lou to know this and maybe shut the fuck up about it for a little while. But obviously not.

Inane ramble done.

Very similar conundrum that Sturgeon faces in Scotland, do you sit tight and hope that the Tories continue to destroy everything and that the demographic shift continues in your favour or do you grasp the current opportunity when things are so destabilised? The danger with waiting is that people normalise to the new situation and settle back into their "well it's not that bad" inertia.

The one thing that's sure though, the UK government will make it as difficult and painful as possible purely out of spite.

bgmnts

YES! DIVISION! OPPRESSION! KILL THEM ALL! STAB THE HOMELESS IN THE STREETS HAHAHAHAHA

jamiefairlie

Why does that make you happy? His replacement will hate you pricks just as much as he does and will have the power to dictate terms in a any trade deal. God I love seeing the UK crash and burn due to their own overbearing hubris.

I see Greece are getting their shopping list in now too. Anyone else up for righting old wrongs now the bastards are down on the ground?

Dog Botherer

i'd say most Irish people hate Blueshirt Varadkar as much as Johnson, congrats on owning us libs i guess

buttgammon

Paulie is even thicker than you think - Fine Gael are historically seen as far more amenable to British interests than other parties. Even if he is someone pretending to be exceptionally stupid, that person is really over-egging the pudding.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: buttgammon on February 20, 2020, 09:36:30 PM
Paulie is even thicker than you think - Fine Gael are historically seen as far more amenable to British interests than other parties. Even if he is someone pretending to be exceptionally stupid, that person is really over-egging the pudding.

Typical British nationalist. Has absolutely no idea how much stored up resentment England has generated around the world and is stunned when shouting 'BUT I'M BRITISH DAMMIT!' actually worsens his situation rather than improves it.

Wonderful Butternut

Aw diddums, is someone upset that the EU didn't throw little Paddyland under the bus in order to keep Mighty Britannia happy?

One thing that makes me want to see Mary Lou McDonald be the Taoiseach is the possibility that BoJo will come over to try and sort out some sticky point over fishing in the Irish Sea or the border or something, and he strolls up running his guffawing floppy-haired idiot routine only to be met by the stony gaze of the most humourless woman ever to exist, who views everything about him with utter derision.

God I'd love to be in the room when that happens, just to see his reaction.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on February 20, 2020, 09:09:57 PM
bye mate!

On the right: A man who can dress himself and who took his education seriously.

On the left: An ape in a suit.

Now my English bigoted chum, which one is your leader, and which one was our leader?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on February 20, 2020, 10:15:49 PM
Aw diddums, is someone upset that the EU didn't throw little Paddyland under the bus in order to keep Mighty Britannia happy?

One thing that makes me want to see Mary Lou McDonald be the Taoiseach is the possibility that BoJo will come over to try and sort out some sticky point over fishing in the Irish Sea or the border or something, and he strolls up running his guffawing floppy-haired idiot routine only to be met by the stony gaze of the most humourless woman ever to exist, who views everything about him with utter derision.

God I'd love to be in the room when that happens, just to see his reaction.

ha ha, yes. The thing they don't understand is how much being under the EU umbrella had mitigated the level of hostility that exists against them. Now that's gone it's open season.